German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to the city pound and found this wonderful gentle giant named Wilma. She's 3-5 years old, approx 100lbs (they said she's a little overweight), long-ish fluffy hair and a huge head. When I met her I was smitten with her tender eyes and mellow demeanor. She is described as "a German Shepherd mix, possibly with Malamute. She is a BIG dog with a huge amount of long, puffy, thick fur and a big head. And Wilma has a big heart to match! She is a very gentle, sweet dog who is all about ALL CUDDLES ALL THE TIME. She sits on the feet of everyone she meets and leans into them for snuggles and pats". I can see the GSD in her, but I'm not sure if it's Malamute as the other half... or maybe she's malamute but something else as the other half. I'm not very good with these types of things.

By the description of her personality, and the picture I'm linking, what is your guess for her breed? She seems sweet now but if I adopt her, maybe the traits and temperament of her breed's background may come out and I want to be prepared for what they might be...

Thanks for your help friends!

BC217.25893624-1-x.jpg

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I can't tell what else might be in there with her, but she sure is a cute, gentle looking dog.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Her leaning behavior sounds like a Rottweiler, actually! She looks like and sounds like a GSD/Rottie mix to me.

I really, really LOVE her name!
Sheilah
P.S. The absolute BEST dog I have ever lived with was a Rottie mix I adopted as an adult dog.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm seeing Lab or golden retriever in the shape of her eyes and face around her eyes.
But I guess you could see any breed you want. She sounds great.
The Leaning sounds like the labs and goldens I've been around.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Oh my she looks sweet!!!

She has the coat and coloring of my shelter adoptee. Keeta was about a year old also when I adopted her, and the shelter had her labeled as a GSD mix. As she got older though, I saw less and less GSD in her, and more and more Rottweiler in her. Her temperament, body structure and behavioural quirks are also much more Rottie than GSD. Like your girl, Keeta is very friendly, does the leaning on you trick, and expects lots of attention and petting from everyone she meets. I jokingly complain about how that is how she manipulated me into adopting her.

I've also had a number of people ask me if Keeta is part Bernese Mountain Dog - her coat and head/face does look Bernese, but she is a bit small, and her temperament is too reactive/serious to be a Bernese. Still, with a mix, you never know. Keeta is about 65 lbs, and has the energy and drive to do bitework and earn some obedience and tracking titles through SchH training. Here are a few pics, to compare with Wilma:

First day home from the shelter:

Her face lightened up as she got older:

Here is a recent picture, at nine years old:

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Look at that face! How could anyone resist those eyes :wub:

·
Registered
17 Posts
The leaning and sitting on feet could also be a Great Pyrenees along with the size you mentioned. Does she have double dew claws in the back?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts