German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My almost 7 months old pup started exhibiting some kind of aweird behaviour; I have no clue what it means and perhaps you can help me out.
He gets walked twice a day, about 30 min in the morningbefore I’m off to work and 1-1.5 hours in the evening. Fed twice daily afterwalks; his evening feed is around 8. Shortly after a feed he starts runningaround a house like crazy, actively sniffing around. Sniffing really loud as ifhe is looking for something, possibly food (but he is never been given any foodon the floor, always in the kitchen, privately owned bowl). I first thought hewants to poop as his runs (apart from sniffing bit) look like getting-ready-to-poopruns. But no, if I let him out in the garden he just stands outside and doesnothing. These runs last for until we go to bed (up to 2 hours). It looks likehe either looking for something (but what??) or something is bothering him. I don’tunderstand, he looks healthy, eats healthy (Orejin large puppy), plays healthy(stick games mainly, sometimes a swim in a nearby river if weather is ok. I tryredirect him with a toy but he is barely interested, just running and sniffing,and sniffing….

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hi there. Could he be having a reaction to the food you are feeding him? One of my daughter's reacts to red food colouring, and acts in the human equivalent of how your dog is behaving (as a child she once bounced on the bonnet of our car like she was on a trampoline, after being given red cordial by a non family member). Have you considered a dietary change?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there. Could he be having a reaction to the food you are feeding him? One of my daughter's reacts to red food colouring, and acts in the human equivalent of how your dog is behaving (as a child she once bounced on the bonnet of our car like she was on a trampoline, after being given red cordial by a non family member). Have you considered a dietary change?
Interesting suggestion. He's been fed Orejin Large Puppy since I got him at 8 week and was ok with it. But about a week ago I started transitioning him to Orejin Adult and now mix it in 60:40 ration. Could it be that adult food is irritating his digestive tract?

Has anyone ever played with a laser pointer with him?
No, never.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I remember max did this once as a young pup. My husband let our mini dwarf bunny loose upstairs and let him roAm around upstairs as he worked in his office. He put the bunny away. I came home with max after a walk and later were in our bedroom getting ready for bed when max was sniffing under the bed and looked like max was chasing a ghost. When my husband told me he let the bunny out earlier in the day -I was almost worried our bunny was still loose the way max was acting. Max was trying to get behind the desk and cabinet in the upstairs office down the hall-where the bunny was previously hanging out. It just happened he was following his scent from under our bed to the office. It was pretty intense as if max was chasing an invisible bunny. So there may be or have been something like a mouse still around or have been lurking about.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys

Mouse thing was investigated, it is definitely not the case. Suspected it was not since my cat is absolutely indifferent. Rex is definitely following some scent tho, but have no clue what is going on in his mind....

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: he started peeing when pacing /sniffing!!
Is it marking behavior or something else? Do I need to take him to the vet to exclude the possibility of urinary tract infection?
He is 7.5 months old, doesn't raise the leg yet, however he pees more than once when I take him for a walk.
People visiting my house don't own dogs and I never had another dog entering the property. Can it still be marking?
I walked him just an hour before he did this, there were 3 incidents in total spaced few minutes apart.. Pacing, sniffing and now peeing...

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
I would take him to the vet. My worry would be if it's after he eats about the possibility of something wrong in the gut that causes pain when the stomach is full just after a meal. If you know what your dog's stomach area feels like normally, then check it while he is doing this behavior - it may feel tight if he's clenching his muscles in pain.

I had a cat that went through something similar and it was a problem in the intestine (actually a form of blockage), the vet taught me how to feel the gut area to find out when I needed to give the medication to get the bowels right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts