German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girl is 5. I am not certain what is going on. She had a visible growth on her head her whole life. Then tonight it looks like it's growning a horn out of her head. Are gsd known for this?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
No. Do you have photos? Has your Vet seen the growth?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It could be a cyst or a type of wart. But to be sure, I would suggest you have your vet look at it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Any chance you can post a photo? I'm curious about this because Mei has something going on with the top of her head as well. I noticed it when i first met her, 6 weeks, and didn't think anything of it. Because of this little bump, her hair grows a little bit longer and she has a mohawk. Does yours have a mohawk/patch of hair on it as well? Now you got me worried when she gets to be 5 years old, then it turning into a horn.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My girl is 5. I am not certain what is going on. She had a visible growth on her head her whole life. Then tonight it looks like it's growning a horn out of her head. Are gsd known for this?
Any update on this or able to post pics?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Any update on this?? I've got an appointment for Mei in a few months for 16 month check up and was going to talk to vet about her growth on her head.

At first I thought it was just a normal bump. Feeling it, it doesn't feel like it's her skull. It can move around as I move her skin around. It doesn't seem to bother her in any way but concerned it may grow larger?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So, over these many years, what has your vet said?
I dont think they're coming back. Probably didnt get the answer they were looking for.

I'm guessing the one on my dog is a benign fatty cell tumor. Wont find out until we go into vet in May. Not rushing her in because she seems perfectly healthy and it doesn't bother her. She loves a head massage!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like a cyst or tumor. Our golden retriever growing up had one towards the end of her life. She lived to be 14, was a massive dog, with tons of health problems. Once she could no longer walk we had her put down. Her vision was almost gone, as was hearing, and was battling the tumor for 2 or 3 years. Your dog is really young so my guess is just a cyst. **** I get cysts. I have like 3 or 4, they come and go.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Sounds like a cyst or tumor. Our golden retriever growing up had one towards the end of her life. She lived to be 14, was a massive dog, with tons of health problems. Once she could no longer walk we had her put down. Her vision was almost gone, as was hearing, and was battling the tumor for 2 or 3 years. Your dog is really young so my guess is just a cyst. **** I get cysts. I have like 3 or 4, they come and go.
What I thought as well. Unless if gives her discomfort, i'm just going to wait until our May appointment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts