German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What command is given when your dog is approaching you from the front, you want him to go around behind you and sit on yor left?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i say "heel". i also make a sweeping
motion with my right arm
going around my back. i can
give a verbal command or hand signal
and my dog responds.

my dog isn't in competition so i don't
know if "heel" is the correct command
when in competition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the same word and motion I do. I just joined a SchH club and forgot to ask, yesterday. When I got home, I started working with Kaiser and he began obeying. I wanted to get the correct terminology, so I don't have to correct it once he starts obeying.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I do rally and there are two finishes, going around my back or going directly to my left side.

For the longer route around my back I use "around", for the shorter left side, I use my command for "heel".

You can use whatever words you want. I see obedience people using the word "finish" a lot. In AKC obedience, the finish is always around the back.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
This looks like a fun way to teach the 'flashy' front to heel..

this is what you are looking for....

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
That is the same word and motion I do. I just joined a SchH club and forgot to ask, yesterday. When I got home, I started working with Kaiser and he began obeying. I wanted to get the correct terminology, so I don't have to correct it once he starts obeying.
I think in SchH that you say "fuss" (heel) anytime you want the dog to be at your side in heel position.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I also do the "go heel" and sweeping arm motion,,in competition (akc) obedience, you can only use ONE command, as in verbal or motion, not both.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I had gotten the heel use from a basic obedience course many moons ago. The person teaching the community ed class used it when she wanted the dog to start walking along side her. I had been searching for a web site which would give a list of commands along with what they are used for, but I have found everything, but. As you can probably tell, I am a novice at this and appreciate everyones' input.
PS
Kaiser also appreciates your help.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I do rally and there are two finishes, going around my back or going directly to my left side.

For the longer route around my back I use "around", for the shorter left side, I use my command for "heel".

You can use whatever words you want. I see obedience people using the word "finish" a lot. In AKC obedience, the finish is always around the back.
This is what I use as well. For going around the right to heel position "around" and for going to the left I use "heel."

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
The AKC finish isn't always around behind. Either direction is allowed. Tag would do a "swing" finish to the left -- he would jump into the air and swing left to end up next to me.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I like those 'flashy' finishes:)) he is jumping HIGH on that one !!

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Not bad for a "show dog"!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You can use whatever commands you want. Since I do SchH, I use "Fuss" for whichever finish the dog will do in SchH. For Nikon that is a right finish. His left/flip finish is "get in." Kenya's right finish is "Finish" and her left finish is "Swing".

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
The AKC finish isn't always around behind. Either direction is allowed.
LOL! I should have known this because I use the "left" finish in Obedience. Everybody else seems to use the "behind" finish. Balto's left finish is very flashy and he performs it in one leaping motion.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
i say "heel". i also make a sweeping
motion with my right arm
going around my back. i can
give a verbal command or hand signal
and my dog responds.

my dog isn't in competition so i don't
know if "heel" is the correct command
when in competition.
In AKC obedience you can give either a signal or a voice command and it can be any command that you want. The judge will tell you to "Finish" and you give your own command to the dog.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts