German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just want to know what is best for Vegas, a very strong puller. He chokes himself trying to get to the door and i think he is hurting himself.
what do you recommend, an EasyWalk harness, a sensible sensation harness, or an Halti head harness? i do not want to use the prong collar until he grow a little bit older:)
thanks in advance

·
Registered
906 Posts
We used an easy walk harness with Brody...worked pretty good. Then we graduated to a prong collar and now he's perfect! Another trick you could try if your dog is food driven is to always have treats in your pocket so he learns to stay close to you.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
You find any good puppy classes yet? They are a great help to me to get the proper collar/harness/leash and then to fit it and use it the best way.

I have to use a Gentle Leader harness at agility trials (no prongs allowed) and it does make the dog easier to walk.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I never used a collar or leash while training my puppy. He was fine with just food and a ball mixed in. I did throw in a harness and leash eventually and he was fine in the transition. When he outgrew the harness, he went to a flat. He is still on a flat, but is use to a fursaver & prong when we train.
I let him pull when we do recreational walks, but for obedience, he knows he is to be in heeling position.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Jake was in a martingale as a puppy to learn loose leash walking, then at a bout 6/7 months we moved to a prong and flat collar. On walks he wears both and I switch back and forth. Sometimes I incorporate training in the walk if it's a long one.
For Therapy work prongs are not allowed so I will use a buckle type martingale, I am about to order one at activedogs.com. I liked the martingale when he was a puppy.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think it would be best for you to find
a puppy class or take private lessons.
train, train, train and socialize, socialize and socialize.
training will solve your problem not a collar or device.

I just want to know what is best for Vegas, a very strong puller. He chokes himself trying to get to the door and i think he is hurting himself.
what do you recommend, an EasyWalk harness, a sensible sensation harness, or an Halti head harness? i do not want to use the prong collar until he grow a little bit older:)
thanks in advance

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried stopping every time he pulls, he just comes next to me and as soon as i move he does it again. I've also tried the martingale collar, but it didn't work.
How about some training? My dogs all wear flat leather collars.
how do i do that ? I'm totally clueless, last time i had a puppy was about four years ago, and she isn't a puller.
Thank you all !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You find any good puppy classes yet? They are a great help to me to get the proper collar/harness/leash and then to fit it and use it the best way.
the only thing I've found in NOVA were the PetSmart classes, I've signed him up for a bit of socialization, not for the training experience. does anyone know of obedience, in D.C. or NOVA ? that would really help :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I too think a Gentle Leader will stop the pulling.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I've tried stopping every time he pulls, he just comes next to me and as soon as i move he does it again. I've also tried the martingale collar, but it didn't work.

how do i do that ? I'm totally clueless, last time i had a puppy was about four years ago, and she isn't a puller.
Thank you all !
Was the martingale fitted correctly? It should sit high on the neck just behind the ears....
Another trick is soon as he starts pulling turn and walk in the other direction...he will turn around and follow you. Don't make a big fuss just pivot and go in another direction. This is what helped Jake when he was baby, the stopping and doing the tree thing didn't help us, he would do what your puppy is doing. Also don't wait for him to get to the end of the leash, if you see is he blasting past you turn and pivot.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When she pulls, do you correct her in time? Like.. as soon as she gets in front of you, give a little tug to the side and not straight back when she's already in front of you.
If you pull her directly back, it'll only make her want to pull more :)
Also, harnasses were made just for pulling (sleds). So when you put one of those on her you have less control than with a normal leash. If you let your dog pull you around on a harnass now, it might become hard to teach her otherwise later on.
Any normal collar that sits on her neck will do I think. And unless you're pulling with all your strength, you'll not really hurt the dog when you correct her. The neck is full of muscle ;)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I train with a trainer who likes utilizing the Halti. At 17 months I can use the flat when we are in normal conditions, but I like using the Halti when we are in a public place with a lot of distractions as I have more control of his face should he have a reactive action to adverse conditions. And honestly, when folks see the halti, they mistake it for a muzzle and tend not to float closely around my dog.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the martingale fitted correctly? It should sit high on the neck just behind the ears....
Another trick is soon as he starts pulling turn and walk in the other direction...he will turn around and follow you. Don't make a big fuss just pivot and go in another direction. This is what helped Jake when he was baby, the stopping and doing the tree thing didn't help us, he would do what your puppy is doing. Also don't wait for him to get to the end of the leash, if you see is he blasting past you turn and pivot.
actually, no it wasn't fitted correctly, i thought it was like any other collar, thank you for informing me ! i'll try that on our walk today:)
When she pulls, do you correct her in time? Like.. as soon as she gets in front of you, give a little tug to the side and not straight back when she's already in front of you.
If you pull her directly back, it'll only make her want to pull more :)
thanks for that !

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Agreed, sometimes I would go for "walk" with Jake and truthfully we would go 100ft bak and forth....I am sure people watching thought I was crazy but at first we didn't go anywhere, it was more like training...and then there is all the nipping and biting the leash monkey business....we can save that for another thread! ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks in advance
Thanks for putting consideration into the fact that your puppy may be too young for a prong, good ownership on your part!

As an alternative, I recommend watching Upstate Canine Academy on youtube for slip lead videos and videos on pulling. I would never recommend a harness for combatting pulling, often times the advertising for getting your dog to stop is unrealistic. Typically it’s very difficult to switch from the harness to their collar.

Think of this, sled dogs use harnesses FOR pulling. Why would a harness be used to STOP pulling? They can also cause damage to their shoulders from being pulled one way or the other. Research this. Definitely look at videos from that youtube for help, a good trainer won’t tell you to use a harness.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thanks for putting consideration into the fact that your puppy may be too young for a prong, good ownership on your part!

As an alternative, I recommend watching Upstate Canine Academy on youtube for slip lead videos and videos on pulling. I would never recommend a harness for combatting pulling, often times the advertising for getting your dog to stop is unrealistic. Typically it’s very difficult to switch from the harness to their collar.

Think of this, sled dogs use harnesses FOR pulling. Why would a harness be used to STOP pulling? They can also cause damage to their shoulders from being pulled one way or the other. Research this. Definitely look at videos from that youtube for help, a good trainer won’t tell you to use a harness.
This thread is too old and the op hasn't been active for years. Some good points though. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts