German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted this beautiful girl from an animal shelter. The vet and I agree she's about 2 years old, and may be a GSD cross of some kind; but now that I'm doing some research, I'm wondering if she's maybe just from Eastern European working dog stock (she's heavy, and has a somewhat blocky head). I am sure that you all know more than I do! I'm not going to love her any less if she is a mix, but I would like to know as much about her as possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I think she may be a West German Show Line and Working Line blend.

Her coloring, strong saddle/blanket, short muzzle and bitch stripe all say WGSL to me. Her blocky head and conformation say working line. the lack of a mask is probably what makes her look like a mix.

Just a guess of course. No way to tell for certain.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The third picture screams Pit Bull to me. The first picture somewhat as well.

Second picture, ???

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think abby looks like a gsd but maybe one of her parents was a gsd mix so it is more subtle of a mix in abby.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think she may be a West German Show Line and Working Line blend.

Just a guess of course. No way to tell for certain.
This is actually what I was thinking as well. Is there a way to do a DNA test to find out? I will love her for her whole life regardless, but it may make it easier to get into a rental if she had papers...

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
There are DNA test kits availble through the internet, but the reviews on them are not good. People have sent in DNA samples of dogs with known backgrounds and the results are no better than pulling random breeds out of a hat. People have sent in samples of papered pure-bred dogs just to see if the DNA breed testing is reliable, and the results have come back completely off.

If Abby is 100% GSD, but a blend of lines, there is no testing available to differentiate the different lines in her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts