German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere about a reverse mask, but have been unable to find pictures of exactly what that means.

Is this considered a fault?

Finally, would Hans's be considered a reverse mask?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO also has a dog (Mikko) with a reverse mask.

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

So now I have a name for his tan face :wub:

I actually told the breeder I would prefer a lighter face.
I have absolutely no idea how she knew, when he looked like this, that he would end up like the picture above, but she told me that if I wanted a face like his mother's, he would have it:

Here is his mom Questa:

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
His mom is gorgeous, as is your dog!

Yes Lord vom G has a reverse mask. I read somewhere that it originated with his lines- something about his breeder preferring it or breeding him for it.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
A reverse mask. A fault I often saw coming down from Lord.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
The above dog's sire, a Lord grandson.

Attachments

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Not uncommon in dogs going back on Lord, but it didn't originate with him. It was not unusual in many of the dogs in the US back in the 50s and 60s, especially black/cream and black/silvers. Many, like the dog who played the Littlest Hobo on TV, looked almost like huskies in the face. There was someone who posted a faded sable puppy here on the board recently who also has a husky looking reverse mask.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
He was a Lord great grandson through his sire lines.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
No, didn't originate from him. Just common coming from him.

Still going through photos. :)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Thank you!

So now I have a name for his tan face :wub:

I actually told the breeder I would prefer a lighter face.
I have absolutely no idea how she knew, when he looked like this, that he would end up like the picture above, but she told me that if I wanted a face like his mother's, he would have it:

Wow, that's amazing. How on earth could anyone say this dog would have a reverse mask? He looks just like Gunner at that age. And Gunner had a very black mask and he had it for a few years before it lightened.

Oh and how stinkin cute was Hans as a puppy?? :wub::wub::wub::wub:

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Wow, that's amazing. How on earth could anyone say this dog would have a reverse mask? He looks just like Gunner at that age. And Gunner had a very black mask and he had it for a few years before it lightened.

Oh and how stinkin cute was Hans as a puppy?? :wub::wub::wub::wub:
I know... she had me go to the site and click on this photo, and that was it. :wub: I was looking at her other litter she had at the time, but she said he had the sweetest temperament.

As for knowing, the only thing I can think of is if you enlarge the photo significantly, you can see that the black is not true, but more on the brown side.

Check out pics of the puppies.
Hans's pics are #11 and #12.
I think I see a lighter mask in #12, and to the left is his brother who I think looked like Joe Pesci! :rofl:

Questa Pups (4wks) & Utah Pups (5wks) | Facebook

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I think your breeder could probably tell because you can see the tan coming through just a little bit. This is a picture of my dog at 10 weeks and you can see some tan poking through the mask- definitely more pronounced than your dog, but he was a few weeks older too (at least it seems judging by your picture)

Thanks Lisa and Chris for the additional info on the reverse mask :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts