German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
14,349 Posts
I think that is a great idea!

I think alot of people get GSD's for the way they look or because when they think of GSD's they think of big guard dogs.

They are alot of work, they require alot of patience and training.

GSD's have a bad reputation, before you decide to get a GSD you need to do alot of research on them and if you do end up getting one then you need to work hard to prove that not all GSD's are bad. I take socialization very seriously, I made sure to socialize the heck out of my GSD, he went everywhere and met everyone with me. He spent alot of time with other dogs, he spent time with cancer patients, he spent time at my mom's beauty salon. I have worked very hard trying to get peoples minds to change about GSD's and I think that for people that want to get one they better be serious about helping their reputation and not doing further damage to it.

· Registered
14,349 Posts
A weak leader like me doesn't do any favors to the breed. Luckily for me & Mac, I have the time and energy to improve. And thanks to people like you, I have.
I had 2 Lab/Chow/Rott/Border Collie pups when I lived at home, they were my first dogs, problems arised at home and I had to move out ASAP (stepdad put his hands on me) so my sister took them in until I could find an apartment that would allow dogs and I had the money again to properly care for them, when the time came to get them back my sister had them for a year and her, her husband and her kids were head over heels in love with them and they didn't want to part, so I let her keep them. I knew I wanted another dog so I began research on the GSD breed, I fell in love when I saw my first black GSD and I knew that it was exactly what I was looking for. Once I got Sinister I began doing even more research and then I found this forum and it taught be even more about them. This forum is fantastic, almost everyone on here is trying their hardest to improve this breed, to fix their reputation and to educate "new" GSD owners and "new" dog owners.

· Registered
14,349 Posts
...I think alot of people get GSD's for the way they look or because when they think of GSD's they think of big guard dogs. ...

Laren, OMG! You make another good point. My husband liked GSD's because they are beautiful. After "research" I determined they were protective and loyal.

We considered GSD because of what WE wanted....never considering what they would want...
I think alot of people do that. Some cant handle the biting stage (puppies) and they think it's aggression so they give up and rehome the puppy, some people dont exercise their puppy/dog enough so again the puppy/dog starts misbehaving and the owner cant handle it or doesn't want to take the time to train and work with it. Then there are people that get a GSD without doing research or very little research and when a problem arises they look into obedience classes, professional help or they come here looking for answers. They look into fixing the problem, they look into getting help and they are trying to do the right thing, those are the "new" GSD owners I like. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.