German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a health and wellness study carried out by the Kennel Club in the UK in 2004, the average lifespan for the German Shepherd is 10.95 years. The type's life-span is estimated to be regarding the same in the United States (11-13 years). This is common for canines of this size.

·
Registered
31,979 Posts
The books used to give them 12-14 years, long ago. Almost as long as I have been in the breed it was 10-12 years. Last I looked at the AKC I think they are giving them 8-10 years. It's not a trend I like to see. I lost Quinnie at 3.5 to cancer, and Moofie at 2.5 to bloat. That cancels out Babsy at almost 14, Jenna at almost 13, Heidi at over 13 and Odie at 13 tomorrow who might live to 15, probably not. The average lifespan is just an average. It gives you an idea what to expect, and you can maybe get your dog from someone who has some dogs with good longevity -- that may help -- a genetic propensity for health and wellness; you can keep them as fit as possible, paying attention to good nutrition, appropriate exercise, training/mental stimulation, keeping them at their ideal weight, avoiding poisons like over-vaccination/pesticides on the dog/pesticides in the home/yard; living in an area where disease and things like cancer are not overly common with respect to other areas. Most of us cannot move to accommodate our dogs. We can do all that and still lose our dog young. It doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention to nature (genetics) and nurture (environment). At the end of the day, they are living critters, and while we should outlive them and understand that, we really don't have the power to determine what their span of life will be. I think it is better to worry not so much about how long they will have, but that we make the time that they do have the best we can, and that we are going to ensure that their end is not prolonged suffering.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Current life expectancy is down to 8 - 11 years.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
They couldn’t round 10.95 years to 11 years?

I mean .05 of 364 days is 18 days, making the last year 346 days.

Sorry. I’m a numbers guy. Speaking of a year in terms of .95 just seems silly.

I’ve gotten five GSD’s from 10.5 years to a little over 13.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Depends on too many factors to just make a blanket statement. Lucky was 12 when we lost him, but I take into consideration that he was a chicken thief so he probably ate a lot of chicken bones. He did have an enlarged spleen. Ellie, for all her difficulties was a street dog and when we adopted her the shelter estimated she was 5 to 7. Some of that estimate was based on tracking her numerous stays in shelters for several years, but we had her 10 years. Jake was not all that healthy and we lost him at 7. I think one could say it depends a lot on the dog's 'life experience' and breeding.

·
Registered
633 Posts
my last GSD lived to her 16th year, succumbing to DM. She had never been sick in her life. Other than her initial young dog vaccinations she never had another one except for a couple rabies. She also did not get heartworm medication and
only flea treatment as necessary. She was on a raw diet all her life after 1 yr. old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts