1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
A fear period is when your normal, confident dog doesn't receive the guidance and support from you that he should as he's developing. Also, a lot of people blame fear periods for dogs that are just plain fearful dogs and want an excuse for it.

·
Super Moderator
32,127 Posts
This part of your first link defines a fear period:

Fear Imprint Period
Experiences a puppy perceives as traumatic during this time are generalized and may affect him all his life. It is a fact that a dog is most likely to develop an avoidance response if subjected to physical or psychological trauma during these four weeks.

8 to 11 weeks

This period falls within the human imprint period.
Anything that frightens the puppy during this period will have a more lasting effect than if it occurred at any other time.

Keep training fun. Use short sessions, and keep all training positive. Gentle guidance and management are essential. Set your puppy up to succeed. This kind of mindset will enable you to be successful, as you continue to socialize your puppy.
Puppies should not be shipped during this period, elective surgery should be put off until the 12th week, and necessary visits to the vet should be made fun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cassidy's Mom- I feel like that site makes sience, but I do not really know if everything is true or not. I guess the first site generalize alot, and each breed is different..

A fear period is when your normal, confident dog doesn't receive the guidance and support from you that he should as he's developing. Also, a lot of people blame fear periods for dogs that are just plain fearful dogs and want an excuse for it.
Well for shure I'm giving the guidance, and the support he needs. I'm putting in all my time and effort. I like being a dedicated person! I would not even get a puppy if I wanted to be lazy. I think it is worth it. I'm not trying to find an excuse, I'm trying to get everything right....... Plus I'm talking about a puppy, not a dog.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I wouldn't agree that fear periods are due to a lack of guidance. I went through this with my puppy and he was getting tons of guidance from me, and me, from other members of the board. We seemed to be doing everything right but he wasn't responding well to it. Jackson is NOT the most confident of GSDs, that's for sure. But there was a time around 3.5-5 months of age where he was in a bad part of a fear period and he overcame it. He's still not the most CONFIDENT of all dogs I have seen, that's for sure, but he is far from what he was when he went through that phase.

I did everything I could to get him through this. We did alot of socializing, alot of treating when meeting new people and treating for good behavior, training, going to new places, etc. He would be afraid of people that he knew. He would get very very nervous in new places. He would even hide behind furniture, bark, and hackle at our house guests. What worried me the most was the time I was hiking with my dad. We were together with him for at least an hour, and suddenly Jackson decided my dad was a threat when he was standing there, simply taking pictures.

By the time he was about 6 months old, he made alot of progress and his confidence came out. I have learned alot from him and about his breed. I have learned that GSDs pay close attention to body language, and if something strikes them as new, it may also strike them as scary. Jackson may in fact turn out to be a dog that is more fearful than the majority of GSDs, but all I know is that he did go through a phase where his fears were definately heightened and he overcame it with experience in the world.

Puppy, how old is your puppy? lol.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PupperLove- Your sweetie sounds just like mine!! He turned 5 months on the 10th, and I have him sience a little while (the 14th we brought him home). At first I thought it was just the "new" home, and I know it will take him still a while to get use to it. I had dogs in the past, and had puppies. I have never seen a puppy so fearful. Yesterday morning I thought I have seen some "results" when I took him out for a walk he seemed calm! I was outside with the dog in the backyard yesterday when my husband came home from work. I made shure I put his leash on walked him to his spot in the house, and then all of the sudden he started to walk back and forth around the living room. Then all of the sudden he fell!! The poor boy started to running bashing into everything. I told my husband to stay calm, and imediatly Iron went in the corner. So I said lets ignore that so we wont nurture his fear. Then we went out, and decided the both of us to take him out together Iron. Everything was going fine, then all of the sudden he got soooo scared! That I was about to fall on the floor with how much he was tugging. I just do not understand how in the world he got so scared. Sorry about all this information I'm staying calm right now(I have no one to talk to about this), but I just want to cry.... This morning everything seemed fine I took him out in the backyard, and played. I went in ate breakfast, and decided to take him out for the walk. All of the sudden he started all over again trying to run away for his life!I was staying calm when he was tugging. ! I had to take him home. I never seen a fearful puppy in my life.

Pupper did you realize the moment he was that age it was a fear period, or afterwards?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update, and question to all.... Iron just "calmed down" after an hour after the walk. Should I try to take him out after lunch where there is hardly anyone around outside with clicker, and treats. Then start clicking everytime he does something good to "try and gain his confidence", or do you guys think I should just keep the clicker around me at all times and when he comes near click and treat????????????

·
Registered
144 Posts
My girl at around 3-4 months went through the whole fear stage. While out for a walk if someone would walk by or come close, she was ready to go the other way! However at about 5 months she decided to hit the lunge period! Now at 6 months, we'll walk, she wait for the passerby to go, and then boom she's ready to lunge right after them. I of course correct it as I can, however it continues.

SHe's been through basic training which just ended, I started with her on my own before all shots were done, however now at 6 months she'll only listen to me half the time, so, I assume this is our adolescent, "I'm doing things my way now" stage! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts