German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
@dogfaeries Cavaliers are one of the sweetest dogs. They are incredibly gorgeous dogs to and classy. It is a shame they have so many heart issues. A really great breed for a busy family with young kids. Bella watched the house also she was a bull. Bella woke us up in the middle of the night when someone was breaking into our car.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I am no expert but yeah it can take longer to a house break a intact male chihuahua pup versus a larger pup. People need to know they have small bladders and it takes time to mature those bladders in pups. Crates are great all I have to say. Eventually they can hold for long periods just as long the big dogs. My chihuahua goes out does his business in the pouring rain and freezing temps and runs right back in. I would imagine so many other small dogs do also. I think if people only have one little dog in their life and nothing else I would imagine some spoiling going . A lot of dogs can use that kind of love. As long as the dog is treated right it does not bother me so much. I can see how it can open doors for so many trainers of fur momsFor the most part I see well behaved dogs and people enjoying their dogs around here. The adopt don’t shop and it’s all now your raise them do get to much I do try to open their minds up a bit on occasiom. It is great to they are helping find homes the dogs but the extreme angle is not necessary.
There are people that do own dogs and have no time or interest in them and that is what really bother me the most .
The angle is necessary to get unsuitable dogs into family homes and neighborhoods. The results of that tactic make the daily headline news. That is a problem.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I am no expert but yeah it can take longer to a house break a intact male chihuahua pup versus a larger pup. People need to know they have small bladders and it takes time to mature those bladders in pups. Crates are great all I have to say. Eventually they can hold for long periods just as long the big dogs. My chihuahua goes out does his business in the pouring rain and freezing temps and runs right back in. I would imagine so many other small dogs do also. I think if people only have one little dog in their life and nothing else I would imagine some spoiling going . A lot of dogs can use that kind of love. As long as the dog is treated right it does not bother me so much. I can see how it can open doors for so many trainers of fur momsFor the most part I see well behaved dogs and people enjoying their dogs around here. The adopt don’t shop and it’s all now your raise them do get to much I do try to open their minds up a bit on occasiom. It is great to they are helping find homes the dogs but the extreme angle is not necessary.
There are people that do own dogs and have no time or interest in them and that is what really bother me the most .
The angle is necessary to get unsuitable dogs into family homes and neighborhoods. The results of that tactic make the daily headline news. That is a problem.
Yes it is very upsetting and a big problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't consider myself a dog lover. I consider myself a dog person, meaning I much prefer the company of dogs over that of other pet species, with some caveats. I like them my definition of 'dog size' for starters and in the 50 some odd years of my adult life I've never had a dog under 60 pounds. Just as I like cats when they belong to other people, I don't (can't?) bond with small dogs and feel nothing special toward them. On the other hand, I enjoy interacting with larger dogs and doubly so for shepherds. Even just seeing a GSD being walked by someone else a block away makes me smile.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I don't consider myself a dog lover. I consider myself a dog person, meaning I much prefer the company of dogs over that of other pet species, with some caveats. I like them my definition of 'dog size' for starters and in the 50 some odd years of my adult life I've never had a dog under 60 pounds. Just as I like cats when they belong to other people, I don't (can't?) bond with small dogs and feel nothing special toward them. On the other hand, I enjoy interacting with larger dogs and doubly so for shepherds. Even just seeing a GSD being walked by someone else a block away makes me smile.
Wow, that is what you consider a dog-person. See how even the simplest statements can be misunderstood because we have different understanding. My definition of a dog person (which is probably something I just made up in my brain and applied it every time I hear the term) is someone who not only owns a dog, but learns all about the dog, is into training, nutrition, blood lines, dog sports, vacationing or having day-trips with dogs. They hang out with other dog-people and talk about.... dogs, among other things. They have dog-friends who can handle their incredible desire for knowledge and sharing about dogs. And they haunt forums like this one.

Your typical dog owner, buys a dog and keeps it in the house or in the yard, and once a year takes it to the vet, cleans its poop. Maybe takes it for a walk each morning, or just lets it play with the kids. When they go on vacation they take the dog to a kennel usually. They may take a set of training classes. Not bad people. Just not necessarily dog-people. The picture of the dog they show at work has a kid in the picture. And their facebook page is not loaded down with photos of the dog.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Ok. So maybe I don't love dogs.
This thread makes me think not.
My dog is always a priority, but she does not consume my world. Well maybe.
I would never move and not take her with me. I feed her before me. My priority for housing is dog friendly, everything else is negotiable.
However. Most folks would probably say at this point she should be rehomed. My living situation is a bit odd. I currently have no yard. I need to budget carefully for the moment. She has her food, her treats, her toys and her bed. But at no point have I considered a new home for her. So maybe I am not a dog lover.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm just a lover:wink2::x:wink2:

After reading this dissection of the the term "dog lover", I am certainly not one. I "love" a handful of breeds, "like" a few others, and the rest do nothing for me. I do like animals in general, they fascinate me, but I wouldn't want them all for pets. I really don't get cats as pets. We have a bengal, she is sweet and social, but she does zero for me in the pride of ownership department. Eat, sleep and meow annoyingly. Everything is on their own terms.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wolves

I really like Wolves and GSDs are closest thing to Wolf that can survive in all environment. However, I won't adopt a mix breed or toy breed because it's not my goal. If I ever become rich, I'd like to help animals though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm just a lover:wink2::x:wink2:

After reading this dissection of the the term "dog lover", I am certainly not one. I "love" a handful of breeds, "like" a few others, and the rest do nothing for me. I do like animals in general, they fascinate me, but I wouldn't want them all for pets. I really don't get cats as pets. We have a bengal, she is sweet and social, but she does zero for me in the pride of ownership department. Eat, sleep and meow annoyingly. Everything is on their own terms.
Yeah GSDs are so smart and magnificent. They are like the perfect pet. 100% companionship and loyalty. Small enough to be family pet and large enough to be guard dogs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I guess I don't "love" dogs because I dislike almost every toy dog on the planet, and pit/bully breeds.
You could not pay me $1,000,000 to own them. (But if anyone wants to test that theory, donations of a million and one dog can be made.)

In 56 years the smallest dog we ever had was a Foxhound growing up. My family were into hunting breeds. Dad would never consider having a dog that wasn't a gun dog, he hunted.

I've never met a large dog I didn't get along with, and I've never owned a badly behaved dog. I've had some exceptional dogs in my lifetime.

My husband causes everyone's dog's to fall in love with him, he didn't even know he was a dog person until he met me and mine. Now we literally house sit every dog and cat on our rural road.
21 years ago, we bought this property so we would have a place to bury our horses and dogs and beloved pets when their times came. 2 of the 3 horses are now resting here in the earth, and our beloved Happy. Happy went to work with my husband for almost his entire 12 years, if he had a job, the dog was part of what he was doing or he didn't take the job.

So maybe we ARE dog lovers, because when we got married 6 years ago, we came home that night right after the reception. How romantic. Happy was old and dying of cancer, and Ellie was only 2 and fearful of strangers--we had our 3 horses and 80+/- chickens and 5 geese to look after, as always. We've NEVER in 21 years together, gone anywhere overnight. (We're not kids) Not a vacation or a night away.

We have a good well and septic, 3 great acres of pasture and fruit trees, we're never going anywhere either. Our ashes are going here, too.

Dogs are not furry humans, they are not my fur-babies and I get as far away from those types of people as I can get. Maybe I'm selfish for buying from breeders, but I honestly don't want other people's problem dogs. Not at my age, not anymore.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
The shelters used to have a lot of nice family dogs in them, mostly lab mixes. Some collie mixes (we don't see many collies anymore), lots of mutt-mutts. Mostly good family pets.

That's all changed. Rescues actually purchase (cough... rescue) small breed dogs from puppy mills so they have enough on hand to sell (cough... adopt) out.

Life would be easier if the fur baby peeps did go for the mellow, sweet small breed dogs. Nothing wrong with babying them, really. And if the adopt don't shop people were able to adopt a nice mellow lab mix or collie mix. Nothing wrong with that, either. Easy dogs and don't need much training or exercise.

I think the dog lover bit goes wrong for me when I see "dog lovers" going down the rescue dog road of crazy. Then you are pairing up dog moms with very formidable breeds and that combo is dangerous. Pair up a dog mom with a mini poodle, and that's fine! Mini poodles can be great little dogs, by the way- I've met a few I really like. Not a fan of standard poodles, but the little ones are fun.

I like and respect animals of all kinds. But I love only my own personal dogs. I am also that person who will spend an hour coaxing a stray dog running in the road into my car and find his owner, even on a work day. So there's that.
I guess I don't "love" dogs because I dislike almost every toy dog on the planet, and pit/bully breeds.
You could not pay me $1,000,000 to own them. (But if anyone wants to test that theory, donations of a million and one dog can be made.)

In 56 years the smallest dog we ever had was a Foxhound growing up. My family were into hunting breeds. Dad would never consider having a dog that wasn't a gun dog, he hunted.

I've never met a large dog I didn't get along with, and I've never owned a badly behaved dog. I've had some exceptional dogs in my lifetime.

My husband causes everyone's dog's to fall in love with him, he didn't even know he was a dog person until he met me and mine. Now we literally house sit every dog and cat on our rural road.
21 years ago, we bought this property so we would have a place to bury our horses and dogs and beloved pets when their times came. 2 of the 3 horses are now resting here in the earth, and our beloved Happy. Happy went to work with my husband for almost his entire 12 years, if he had a job, the dog was part of what he was doing or he didn't take the job.

So maybe we ARE dog lovers, because when we got married 6 years ago, we came home that night right after the reception. How romantic. Happy was old and dying of cancer, and Ellie was only 2 and fearful of strangers--we had our 3 horses and 80+/- chickens and 5 geese to look after, as always. We've NEVER in 21 years together, gone anywhere overnight. (We're not kids) Not a vacation or a night away.

We have a good well and septic, 3 great acres of pasture and fruit trees, we're never going anywhere either. Our ashes are going here, too.

Dogs are not furry humans, they are not my fur-babies and I get as far away from those types of people as I can get. Maybe I'm selfish for buying from breeders, but I honestly don't want other people's problem dogs. Not at my age, not anymore.
This was a fantastic post!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The shelters used to have a lot of nice family dogs in them, mostly lab mixes. Some collie mixes (we don't see many collies anymore), lots of mutt-mutts. Mostly good family pets.

That's all changed. Rescues actually purchase (cough... rescue) small breed dogs from puppy mills so they have enough on hand to sell (cough... adopt) out.

Life would be easier if the fur baby peeps did go for the mellow, sweet small breed dogs. Nothing wrong with babying them, really. And if the adopt don't shop people were able to adopt a nice mellow lab mix or collie mix. Nothing wrong with that, either. Easy dogs and don't need much training or exercise.

I think the dog lover bit goes wrong for me when I see "dog lovers" going down the rescue dog road of crazy. Then you are pairing up dog moms with very formidable breeds and that combo is dangerous. Pair up a dog mom with a mini poodle, and that's fine! Mini poodles can be great little dogs, by the way- I've met a few I really like. Not a fan of standard poodles, but the little ones are fun.

I like and respect animals of all kinds. But I love only my own personal dogs. I am also that person who will spend an hour coaxing a stray dog running in the road into my car and find his owner, even on a work day. So there's that.
What is a Collie? I haven’t seen them at a dog show or out anywhere in years. Is the breed dying out? This whole adopt/shelter movement has somehow resulted in non pets landing in shelters. Breeds that no one or very few people should own. Breeds or mixes that can’t ever become good family dogs with polite neighborhood manners. People take them home and ruin good neighborhoods. Nice families with children, pleasant retired couples. I almost never see anyone with a well bred rescued dog that is trained and a pleasure to pass by on the street. It is almost criminal how badly the public has been served by the latest trend in dog adoptions. I don’t hate rescue. I have one. But she was fostered by an experienced couple. The man had police dog experience. The woman had been fostering GSDs her entire adult life. I knew exactly what I was getting when I picked her up because they told me, and more important, they knew what they were talking about. I used to think of myself as a dog lover by any reasonable definition. Now I’m more of a dog avoider, unless I know the dog and the owner and trust them. I know I already posted more than once, but I just realized how much my attitude has been shaped by dogs around me in my area.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This was a fantastic post!
Thanks so much. I believe we should look after any animal in our care for it's life. Having seen the seediest of the seedy horse rescue debacles, my two Arabians had to lay here when their times came. They had great lives. My Paso Fino is 25+ and still so far, out of the ground.

We DID not know that geese were so long lived...they could easily outlive both of us. Which is a little scary. :)

The dogs know, do not fool with the geese, because you will lose. Bruce (in the lead) is my boy- he's sweet to people and seriously mean to other animals. Protects the chickens.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Thanks so much. I believe we should look after any animal in our care for it's life. Having seen the seediest of the seedy horse rescue debacles, my two Arabians had to lay here when their times came. They had great lives. My Paso Fino is 25+ and still so far, out of the ground.

We DID not know that geese were so long lived...they could easily outlive both of us. Which is a little scary. :)

The dogs know, do not fool with the geese, because you will lose. Bruce (in the lead) is my boy- he's sweet to people and seriously mean to other animals. Protects the chickens.
Awww! Cute pic! How long do geese live? I used to work near the river and sometimes I would walk down on my break. It was winter and I saw a duck with a broken leg so I started feeding it and his friends and the geese came. It wasn't pretty. I was throwing the rock hard bread at them and running for my life! LOL I went down one more time on a weekend this time but could not find the duck but the geese were there. I was prepared and had the Rottie with me. It was a standoff. I never went back.

·
Registered
229 Posts
What is a Collie? I haven’t seen them at a dog show or out anywhere in years. Is the breed dying out? This whole adopt/shelter movement has somehow resulted in non pets landing in shelters. Breeds that no one or very few people should own. Breeds or mixes that can’t ever become good family dogs with polite neighborhood manners. People take them home and ruin good neighborhoods. Nice families with children, pleasant retired couples. I almost never see anyone with a well bred rescued dog that is trained and a pleasure to pass by on the street. It is almost criminal how badly the public has been served by the latest trend in dog adoptions. I don’t hate rescue. I have one. But she was fostered by an experienced couple. The man had police dog experience. The woman had been fostering GSDs her entire adult life. I knew exactly what I was getting when I picked her up because they told me, and more important, they knew what they were talking about. I used to think of myself as a dog lover by any reasonable definition. Now I’m more of a dog avoider, unless I know the dog and the owner and trust them. I know I already posted more than once, but I just realized how much my attitude has been shaped by dogs around me in my area.
We're VERY lucky that we live where there are good dogs, or no dogs.
I live in fear of someone getting a stupid/dangerous dog that runs loose and kills my flock or attacks my elderly horse.
But we're a farming community, we generally have sensible farm dogs here. Like Collies! One lived next door till she died of old age, very sweet but scattered. Loved her.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
We're VERY lucky that we live where there are good dogs, or no dogs.
I live in fear of someone getting a stupid/dangerous dog that runs loose and kills my flock or attacks my elderly horse.
But we're a farming community, we generally have sensible farm dogs here. Like Collies! One lived next door till she died of old age, very sweet but scattered. Loved her.
I thought about getting a Collie but there are no breeders anywhere near us. I don’t know why. They are gorgeous dogs with good temperaments and can do a lot. Yes, you are lucky.

·
Registered
590 Posts

I've found many toy dogs are completely different and often very intelligent with huge personalities when raised and treated like actual dogs. I've never been a huge fan of them until I met some actual good ones. We got a little chihuahua/Pekingese mix who was a spoiled nasty brat. He did so much better once and was a cool dog who knew some cool tricks once we got him trained with boundaries. Also some family members raised yorkies and they were all sweet, very friendly dogs. Although the teeth issues in small dogs are terrible.

Personally I'm about the same mindset as you, although for a millionaire dollars I'd take on any dog. At the least it would be a learning experience and I'd have to up my training skills.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I would take a million dollars any day to raise a toy breed - I am not a fool lol the most painless way to make a million bucks. Such easy dogs my chihuahua sleeps 90% of the day. Collies are great dogs. We had one she was real such a sweet gentle girl. She did love attention. Vanessa she passed before the kids came she really would of enjoyed them. There was a collie at our barn she was a blue Merle smooth collie a pretty girl a little flakey but a good dog. I think often at barns you will find a herding breeds. I do see a few shelties around here not so many collies. There is an old German Shepherd, 2 jack russells, two doodles, two labradors , a lab mix, a pug , two small dogs mixes and there was a Saint Bernard but he moved on my block I am probably missing someone. Around the block a Mastiff and a French Bulldog,two labs and another gsd. Looking at this there are many purebreds around here.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Awww! Cute pic! How long do geese live? I used to work near the river and sometimes I would walk down on my break. It was winter and I saw a duck with a broken leg so I started feeding it and his friends and the geese came. It wasn't pretty. I was throwing the rock hard bread at them and running for my life! LOL I went down one more time on a weekend this time but could not find the duck but the geese were there. I was prepared and had the Rottie with me. It was a standoff. I never went back.
Geese can live 25-30 years, some say up to 40 depending on the breed and the care. I adore them. But they are formidable, too.Geese NEVER forget anyone, or anything that happens in their lives. That's why they can be so mean...the older they get the worst stuff has happened. And they are ruled by hormones and the seasons.

We kept ducks for 10 years, but foxes kept killing them. A fox would be suicidal to go up against 6 adult geese, they will fight as a cohesive unit of fierce.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts