German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it someone who loves all dogs, all breeds, from any place (breeder, rescue, shelter)? Is it someone who only loves one breed? Only loves well bred dogs? Only supports rescues? I started thinking about it when I saw a social media post from a local woman who I sort of know who commented on a rescue group as being “one of the good groups who loves dogs.” This woman claims to love dogs and works with a small rescue group, but she has stolen dogs before. She once threatened to turn a man over to the police for dog abuse if he didn’t give her his dog so she could find a better home because the dog was sitting in the back of an open truck parked in a parking lot. He was terrified, they haggled and she finally paid him to turn over his dog. She took in two dogs a friend of a friend of mine found and refused to run them through a shelter first before adopting them out. She said anyone who lets their dogs escape and run loose doesn’t deserve dogs, even though it could have been accidental or they could have been stolen. She claims to be a dog lover. I have other words for her.

I visited a friend yesterday who loves any dog that is small enough to pick up and does not care for German Shepherds or labs or any large dogs at all. She claims to be a dog lover.

I’m biased toward our breed, other herding lines and after that, retrievers. I used to call myself a dog lover but now I don’t. I love individual dogs but not every dog. I love some breeds but not every breed. There are a few breeds I actively dislike and avoid. I love dog sports, dog training and I’m in awe of what dogs can accomplish. So am I a dog lover? Are you?

What is your definition?

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
I am a dog lover but I also prefer some breeds over others. There are some breeds I expect I'll never own. There are a few breeds I question if they should even exist. I do want all dogs to have good food and shelter and decent companionship. I want all dogs to be able to do some of the kind of work that they were bred for. I want people to research breeders and rescues and put the bad ones out of business and keep the good ones running. I want all owners trained to learn how to teach their dogs in a way that works for both humans and animals

That is how I label myself a dog lover.

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
I wouldn’t say I’m a dog lover. I do like dogs in general. I prefer them over cats. But I don’t like everyone’s dogs, just like I don’t like everyone’s children. I’ve groomed many dogs over the last 40 plus years, and I didn’t like a lot of them. Some of them I’ve loved even when they were a breed I’d never own in a million years. I’m more of a dog person - you know, someone that has dogs. In my experience the dog lovers seem to have furbabies.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I prefer dogs. I prefer certain breeds. I've had both pure bred and mutts. I think mutts make the beat all around pets for the average home. I don't care where anyone gets a dog as long as it's well cared for and treated well. I like dogs but I don't consider myself a dog lover. But I do love to be around good dogs.
To be honest whenever I hear someone say they are a "dog lover" I instantly hear the voice in my head say dog fanatic in some crazy (often not always good) way. They strike me as the ones who take things to the extreme that doesn't necessarily have the dogs best interest first. Like the description of the woman in the OP. She isn't a dog lover she's an extremist that believes her way of caring for a dog is the only right way and she plays jury and judge on those that don't meet her standards. That's not love in my view. That's a cause and possible mental health issue.
Love is one of those words that leaves a lot open to interpretation and the bearers point of view.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I love dogs. I love them AS dogs. I want them to behave like dogs, smell like dogs and just be dogs. I don't generally bath dogs and as much as possible I let them be dogs.
I enjoy training, but not to any point near where the dogs are not having fun. I don't enjoy competition, but did promise Carmen my next pup would get an obedience title. Guess I will have to suck it up.
I don't like JRTs. They are not dogs, they are little minions of Satan. Also not a fan of Chi's in general. Prefer bigger breeds but love Poms and Yorkies, so really just love dogs.
I don't do furbabies, I don't think they are my kids, I don't presume that all dogs will lounge on sofa's watching TV. I respect that they are possessions and sometimes tools. I don't presume that others will treat their dogs like I do, I understand that some may find my treatment appalling. Either lacking or too much.
I prefer my dogs to most people. But, I also spent an afternoon chatting with a water snake. So really I just prefer animals to people. Lol.
Not sure I qualify as a dog lover.
Can tell you that the neighbor dog is Carl, not sure what the neighbor human is called.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
I don't like that term "dog lover". Makes me associate it with hoarding and uneducated ways of having dogs. I love my own dog(s) but I don't consider myself a dog lover as in "loving all dogs". Weird to explain. I do admire dogs because they are so good in being dogs. I love observing their behavior and learning from them. The day I cant have dogs anymore is the day I want to die with my last dog.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
When I hear "dog lover", I get a negative connotation. I think of the person who makes a beeline for your dog with a vacant Spongebob smile on their face.. completely ignoring you, the human in charge of the dog. I think of the "it's all in how you raise them" and the "adopt don't shop" crowd. The ones who tilt their head and go awww in a sad way when you say you got your dog from a breeder. After they asked where you got your dog. Followed up by "why don't you rescue?" I think of the people who would break my window with a rock because it was hot and my dog was in his ventilated shaded and temp monitored kennel in my SUV. The ones who would call AC because my GSD was outside in the cold despite the fact he was loving it and playing with snowballs.

Not because people who love dogs do that stuff, but because people who identify with and or are vocal about "being a dog lover", in that terminology, in my experience, fall into those categories. On a spectrum, but still.

I appreciate dogs. I think Lurchers are a thing of beauty. But I don't want one and I probably wouldn't love it if I had one. Not my cup of tea. But I appreciate them

I guess I feel about dogs the way I feel about kids. I love my own to the moon and back. I don't love all kids or dogs though. I like some of them. Some I down right don't care for. But I'd advocate for them if they were being hurt or had no food, I'd do my best to save one if it fell in the river even if I didn't know it or know it's parent/owner. Doesn't mean I love them. It means I value and respect them. I cry when I see bad things happen to kids and dogs. I feel empathy for them Doesn't mean I love that particular child or animal in a personal way.

I know grown people I would not spit on if they were on fire. But there is something in me that would always help a dog or child (or cat..goat..etc).

I get lit up by GSDs and Malis more than other dogs. Lit up does not = love to me. Having one as your own and knowing them in and out good and bad and being grateful they are yours, that is what I equate with loving a dog.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I love my dog. That means I have to, at times, sacrifice my convenience, comfort, time, money, priorities, feelings and preferences to meet his needs, and insure his physical and emotional well being. Loving anything involves sacrifice.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
When I hear the term “dog lover,” I automatically think of people who treat their dogs like babies. Dress them up, baked them special treats, carry and take them everywhere, when they are spoiled rotten brats with zero manners. Call them their babies. I cringe when people refer to me as my fur baby’s mommy. Um, this is my dog, and I’m his owner/handler. He’s not a fur baby, and I’m not a mommy to my pack. The closest I get to referring to them as my children are when they do something naughty, I tell DH “your dog just pulled the trash can out of the bathroom and there is toilet paper scattered from one end of the hall to the other.” Same way I do with my children. When they behave, they are mine. When they are being naughty, they are DH’s ?

I don’t call myself a dog or animal lover, because I’m not. I love my dogs, can sometimes tolerate other people’s dogs, but for the most part, I find they annoy me. Same with children, which is why I didn’t become a teacher, I’d be the worse one ever. If it’s an injured or neglected dog, I will welcome them into my home, no matter the breed, and sent them on their way when they are ready to be adopted. I do have a soft spot for those dogs. But I don’t like small breeds, I don’t like hyper breeds, I don’t like, well, most breed of dogs. You’ll likely never find another breed in my home that isn’t a GSD, Mal, or Rott, unless it’s my mobility SD.

I love horses, all horses, even the bitty jerk face Shetland’s. I love sheep, hate goats with a passion. Essentially, I prefer larger breed animals, and if anyone ever sees a lap dog in my lap, they know I have lost my marbles and it’s time to put me in a home.

·
Registered
867 Posts
To me a dog lover is somebody who likes dogs. Usually used to differentiate which species is their favorite. Like I'm a dog lover, I'm a cat lover. Never really heard it used in any other way besides that.

I don't think to be a person who likes dogs has to like every dog or every breed, but just in general they enjoy dogs.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I have to say pretty much the same as Kazel. A dog lover to me is someone who loves dogs will always have a dog and enjoys being around their dogs. I know people that are not dog people therefore will not own a dog. Will I put a bumper sticker on my truck shouting out my love for my favorite breed- No lol! Do I want to give love to a strangers dog I don’t know that has already love- No. Do I love all the breeds- i can’t really say as I have not owned all but the ones I have owned are the absolute best of breeds in my opinion.
I enjoy doing things with my dogs since I can remember. As a kid I would go to the library and take out books about dogs, my allowance spent in dog collars and the local pet shops.
I don’t mind the dog hair even though I can be a clean freak they get a pass. I am on this forum often because it has to do with one of my favorite breeds. My phone is filled with photos of my kids and dogs.
I have an Instagram and Flickr dedicated to my dogs this was my beginning to social media. My daughter wants to be a vet tech or a veterinarian my son a marine biologist although that can change it does show I passed that love along. So yes a dog lover all the way!

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had never heard the term furbaby until a few years ago. The woman who told me was talking about her cat, so I thought the term only referred to cats. I was dismayed when I realized there were dog furbabies, too. Sometimes large breeds. I might baby my dogs at times, but I also respect what they are and what they need. They are not human.

BTW, the name I use here has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. When I chose the name, my first choices were all taken and I had no idea what to use, so I pulled this name out of the air. I wasn’t even sure I would ever post. That didn’t last long.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hmmm, "dog lover" to me is like the lady in the news who took 100 dogs into her home before the hurricane hit.
I mean, I love animals but she is above and beyond!! They showed a photo of like, a dozen dogs lying under her bed!

(Meanwhile, I was upset to read that the shelter staff had to abandon a bunch of dogs in the shelter and they drowned...I'm like, let them out and give them a shot to live at least. :-(

·
Registered
32,059 Posts
That lady is a thief. Not a dog-lover.

This is why I am so adamant about not adopting the terms "guardian" over "owner" and "adoption" over "purchase." As dog owners, we have some protection for our "property." Property sounds like a field or a house or even a boat or coffee table. But property is ANYTHING of value that can have a monetary value. A dog or horse or pig or cow is property, because if you steal it, it has a value, and you can be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony depending on what that value is.

So, am I not a dog lover because I refer to myself as their owner rather than their mom? Am I not a dog lover because I consider them property with a monetary value. If I had a nickel for every time I tell my dogs they are worth a million bucks, ah well. They ARE worth a million bucks to me, even if I can't redeem them for that.

Just because I wouldn't have sold Quinnie for 10 million doesn't mean that is what she is worth, that is the monetary value that a court would put on her if someone stole her. But I could make a good case by telling what the other puppies in the litter were sold for, and then how much training she had, and how close to the standard/what my prospects were with her. So if you have a pup out of champion lines that you paid $2500 for, and she grew and filled out without any faults -- puppies are a crap shoot, and you put her through some classes -- value added. And your intentions were to use her to have puppies that you would sell for $1500-$2500, you could then set a reasonable value on the dog.

And if the dog is spayed and you don't intend to do anything with it but agility for fun, you can use the price of the puppy, and the classes that you put into the dog, and the amount of time and energy you have expended to make this dog a companion to you, and you can come up with a value for that dog. It may be less then the other dog because it is altered, but that is not what matters. What matters is that in considering a value for a dog, it doesn't mean that we love the dog less.

You can't put a value on your son or daughter. But when someone does something to injure them, you can sue that person for the damages, hospital bills, pain and suffering, etc. And if, through the negligence of another, your child dies, again a settlement might be made. The child's would never be sold for the amount that is offered, but people do sue when there is wrongful death.

I'm rambling now. Am I a dog lover. Yes. I particularly love hot dogs with just a tiny bit of ketchup, relish, and fresh onions. Delish.

I love my dogs.
I have been known to stop my car, get out and talk to people about the dog they are walking. -- not sure if that is evidence of being a dog lover or of being crazy about dogs.
I am not crazy about every type of dog. I have my prejudices. Some behaviors irritate me and some breeds do.

In general I like the species. I like to think I am not as crazy about it as I used to be. The serial killer with the lost puppy -- on some days he wouldn't suck me in, on other days...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I’m a dog lover. I am a waitress and I come into contact with many different breeds, ages, and personalities every day. Very few dogs I can say I do not like. Some are shy, others “too” friendly, and everything in between. I know dogs and I match their levels, almost all are good when they have a certain understanding. Of course I love my dogs the most, but I always love meeting new ones. I’m that annoying person walking by that asks “can I pet your dog?”

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm not a dog lover. I'm a dog person. I mean, I like dogs, but not all dogs, and I can live without one (not as fun though).

Dog lovers strike me as that obnoxious group of people who call their dogs "furbabies" and themselves "pet parents". Yuck. Your dog is a dog. You are the dog's owner. As @selzer stated, a dog being special property (what living creatures are described as in law) gives you protection from government agencies and crazy people. Being a guardian means your dog becomes a ward of the state, and if the state decides they don't like what you're doing, they can take your dog away without any due process. No bueno.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Generally/generically I'd say a dog lover is someone that can't live without the companionship of a dog. There people will buy homes in neighborhoods, rent, travel etc specifically with their dog(s) 14/7 companionship in mind.

^^^^ I think this describes my wife and I to a T....when we moved into this neighbor hood almost twenty years ago it had covenants--HOA and no one had a fence....when I told the builder that a fence would be a part of this purchase or we would keep looking for a home... didn't have to be here.....he wanted to know why we wanted a fence I said "weed" lots and lots of weed and I didn't want the nosey neighbors to see what we were growing ...we went round and round for a couple weeks but we're living in that house....with...a fence...

So yeah if the above is part of the criteria to be a "dog lover" I sure am....I've loved each and everyone of our dogs...they all have or have left us with a piece of my heart forever.....do I love ALL dogs at first sight....nope all I have to do is go to a dog event or the vets office to see a dog i don't love but I don't blame the dog...I blame the owner for something they did or did not do...it's not the dogs fault....I see what they COULD be with some time and work....

·
Super Moderator
7,455 Posts
I do love dogs but no,they're not "fur kids".I like to learn about about all breeds and what they were purposely need for.A lot of folks here don't care for little "yippers" whereas I find them delightful.They are supposed to be feisty little vermin eliminators.If people saw them in their natural element I really think they would appreciate their strong personalities.I don't desire to own one of every breed but I love watching them work and learning about them.

Reactions: LuvShepherds

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Since when did being a dog lover become equated with being a fur mommy or instability? This is the first I have heard of such a derogatory connotation for what I consider to be such a natural human disposition, i.e, a love of nature, flora and fauna.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts