German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday we took Kokoda and Onyx (our foster) out to a trail in the mountains with my parents and a guest from Australia. We had a great hike up to a couple of waterfalls, and both dogs did great ignoring people and other dogs along the occasionally very narrow paths and catwalks. But I could not believe how many little kids just came up and stuck their hands in the dogs' face - I know they're both good with kids, mine will let a kid do anything to her, and the foster came from a family with 4 young kids, but what are the parents thinking?!? Usually it was just a sudden movement from right beside the dogs, no warning or anything - one little girl (4 maybe) walked past the dogs and then literally threw herself across their backs and the parents just stood there and smiled at her. I couldn't believe it! A couple of kids stood back and asked if they were friendly, but by far most just shoved their hands in the dogs faces. I just about had a heart attack every time. Mine are friendly, but if they'll do it to a 90 lb black GSD, they'll do it to any dog - and there are lots out there that will bite them for their trouble. What are parents thinking when they see that happen. I can't count how many times I had to say "You should always ask the owner before you pet a dog..." Anyway, it is no wonder so many children get bitten - a little bit of education would go a long way...sheesh.

Anyway, rant over. Otherwise we had a great time, and a beautiful day!

My dad, who has never been a dog person loves Kokoda (he even calls her his grandpuppy). He always manages to end up holding the leash - I don't even remember him taking her. Her loose leash walking with other people is improving, but still needs some work :crazy:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Love the pics. Beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i want a big black 90 lb GSD that likes kids!!!! love the pictures. almost tempted to go to canada now to see the pretty stuff!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I think they're pretty good looking myself :) Onyx is such a sweet guy - a complete goofball. He's had a bit of a rough go, his owner (mom of the four young kids) was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He is the most uncoordinated GSD I have ever seen, a complete clutz!! Love him to bits, though. He might end up being a failed foster...

You should come up...lots of pretty stuff here!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Thanks - I think they're pretty good looking myself :) Onyx is such a sweet guy - a complete goofball. He's had a bit of a rough go, his owner (mom of the four young kids) was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He is the most uncoordinated GSD I have ever seen, a complete clutz!! Love him to bits, though. He might end up being a failed foster...

You should come up...lots of pretty stuff here!

he looks like he fits right in. Haha Riley our male is 6 years old and the most uncoordinated monster ball chaser you've ever seen. its hilarious. he's always been clumsy. no medical reason can be found. He's just a boy lol. feel free to send Onyx down here to me!!! i'll take him!!! Hubby wouldnt be happy about it but what does he know?! hehe.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
nice hike and nice dogs. it's nice having dogs
trained and socialized. nice reactions from the dogs.
nice training.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I know it's not right, but I think some people think that if a dog is out in public they must be friendly, so it's okay to pet them.

They're both beautiful btw and so is that scenery!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
What gorgeous dogs!

Thankfully, most people around here are pretty smart when it comes to petting other dogs. One time I took Ozzy out and this little kid ran up and pet him, and the mom told him to ask if it's alright for him to pet Oz. He stopped, asked me, I gave him the okay, and Ozzy got some love. The clerk at Petco said that if he'd done that with one of her dogs, he would have got bitten.
More often than not, people always ask if they can pet Ozzy, and he's a small dog. I guess parents around my area seem to know that some people take out non-people friendly dogs.
I know that one time, my mom was at Uncle Bear's and asked to pet a bully breed dog, and the owner was like, "Yeah, go ahead, he's friendly." It's a good thing my mom has good reflexes, or he would have taken her hand off.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I always make my dogs sit whenever we meet someone on walks and such. My dogs are friendly. BUT i can usually tell who they might get snappy with just by how the person approaches. Its rare but if someone approaches like they're trying to be sneaky or something, it puts the dogs on edge. 99% of the time they're perfectly fine though. Most of the kids around here have parents who demand they ask first and if they dont ask before they pet, they get a nice swat. It works but still. I wish more people would ask though. I wonder how many people would approach if they saw a muzzle on the dog? now i'm curious. it'll be an experiment i'll try some time.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I always make my dogs sit whenever we meet someone on walks and such. My dogs are friendly. BUT i can usually tell who they might get snappy with just by how the person approaches. Its rare but if someone approaches like they're trying to be sneaky or something, it puts the dogs on edge. 99% of the time they're perfectly fine though. Most of the kids around here have parents who demand they ask first and if they dont ask before they pet, they get a nice swat. It works but still. I wish more people would ask though. I wonder how many people would approach if they saw a muzzle on the dog? now i'm curious. it'll be an experiment i'll try some time.
I'm willing to bed people aren't going to approach that dog. Which I find quite funny, because the dog CANNOT bite them. (Well, if you get a good muzzle.) They'll go up to a dog that has nothing to prevent them from biting, but when they have something over their mouth, then they probably won't go near it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'm willing to bed people aren't going to approach that dog. Which I find quite funny, because the dog CANNOT bite them. (Well, if you get a good muzzle.) They'll go up to a dog that has nothing to prevent them from biting, but when they have something over their mouth, then they probably won't go near it.

i have a cage muzzle. we had to get it for Zena because she kept chewing through kennels and broke a couple teeth in the process. but she wasnt reliable just left out of the crate. But i may give it a shot. keep a tally. I'd actually be okay with approaching a muzzled dog simply because it at least gives you a clue as to the dog. tail wagging doesnt always mean happy friendly loves absolutely everyone and willing to tolerate torture kind of dog.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Beautiful place to hike!

Both dogs are gorgeous... looks like everyone had a great time.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yesterday we took Kokoda and Onyx (our foster) out to a trail in the mountains with my parents and a guest from Australia. We had a great hike up to a couple of waterfalls, and both dogs did great ignoring people and other dogs along the occasionally very narrow paths and catwalks. But I could not believe how many little kids just came up and stuck their hands in the dogs' face - I know they're both good with kids, mine will let a kid do anything to her, and the foster came from a family with 4 young kids, but what are the parents thinking?!? Usually it was just a sudden movement from right beside the dogs, no warning or anything - one little girl (4 maybe) walked past the dogs and then literally threw herself across their backs and the parents just stood there and smiled at her. I couldn't believe it! A couple of kids stood back and asked if they were friendly, but by far most just shoved their hands in the dogs faces. I just about had a heart attack every time. Mine are friendly, but if they'll do it to a 90 lb black GSD, they'll do it to any dog - and there are lots out there that will bite them for their trouble. What are parents thinking when they see that happen. I can't count how many times I had to say "You should always ask the owner before you pet a dog..." Anyway, it is no wonder so many children get bitten - a little bit of education would go a long way...sheesh.
OMG, this happens ALL THE TIME with me at my apartment complex. Madix has never been around kids and they make him very nervous. I keep a VERY sharp eye out that no one startles him. I had a guy pat him on the head (the "manly" affection pat) and I yanked Madix over behind me ASAP - I saw his eyes light up - "oh you hit me and I'll nip you") - a new "challenge" phase we're going through..

The other day 3 kids chased me and my lab down the bike trail. Midas had been walking with his ears/head/tail up. As they chased us (I thought they were going to pass so I didn't say anything) he started to get a little antsy and clingy and I could tell he was nervous (VERY few things make that extra-lazy dog nervous). When they caught us, they all converged on him and started petting him - the toddler was put down to pet his face. I jerked him away and he started a low whining/cry and left. Told them it was time for his dinner. But GEEZ, if that would've been Madix, I would have to have been a lot quicker - he would've felt 100% attacked. UGH

ETA: your dogs are BEAUTIFUL and so was the scenery :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i'm just really lucky my dogs are heavily socialized with kids outside of my own. Zena is all for kids mauling her. She sit there with that long GSD tongue hanging out, tail wagging and that happy dopey look on her face. Riley has gotten more and more friendly when he was merely tolerant. He actually gets full body wiggles happy when he see's kids who want to pet him now. Shelby is indifferent really. Shasta is merely curious but will give a couple of licks and then she's done. But Shasta has started being very affectionate with kids on walks. Came across a dad out with his no more than 2 year old little girl on her tricycle. Shasta got so darn excited she almost couldnt contain herself when i made her sit. that little girl just cooed over her. my 6 month old little land shark was very well behaved and appeared to love every single second of that little girl loving on her. I was very impressed with her. I'm also glad i'm seeing more and more people demanding their kids ask first before they just start petting. however... out in town is a different story.

·
Registered
686 Posts
One time I was hiking with Bo this summer and I came across a really DUMB woman with two Goldendoodles. This is a very popular hiking trail that has leash signs everywhere. I have Bo trained to step off the trail with me in the woods when people pass us (Bo can be a little touchy), so for the the safety of everyone we step off the trail into the woods. On this particular trip I could see two Goldendoodles coming in our direction off leash. Bo of course is on a leash. The Goldendoodles proceeded to rush Bo (keep in mind we are already off the trail to allow them to pass) they stop about two feet away and start barking/lunging. Bo (who usually likes other dogs) lets out this angry shepherd roar and starts with his own barking and lunging meanwhile Goldendoodle owner arrived and proceeds to scream like a fool and do nothing about her dogs. So what did I do? Gave Bo some leash! :D You bet when Bo came at them they both turned tail and ran! No contact needed.
The kicker is we saw the same woman/dogs later and they were STILL not on a leash. You would think she would learn! There is no limit to the stupidity of some . . . :(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
One time I was hiking with Bo this summer and I came across a really DUMB woman with two Goldendoodles. This is a very popular hiking trail that has leash signs everywhere. I have Bo trained to step off the trail with me in the woods when people pass us (Bo can be a little touchy), so for the the safety of everyone we step off the trail into the woods. On this particular trip I could see two Goldendoodles coming in our direction off leash. Bo of course is on a leash. The Goldendoodles proceeded to rush Bo (keep in mind we are already off the trail to allow them to pass) they stop about two feet away and start barking/lunging. Bo (who usually likes other dogs) lets out this angry shepherd roar and starts with his own barking and lunging meanwhile Goldendoodle owner arrived and proceeds to scream like a fool and do nothing about her dogs. So what did I do? Gave Bo some leash! :D You bet when Bo came at them they both turned tail and ran! No contact needed.
The kicker is we saw the same woman/dogs later and they were STILL not on a leash. You would think she would learn! There is no limit to the stupidity of some . . . :(

sounds like something i would have done if i had been in your place as well. that seriously sucks she didnt get the message the first time. It amazes me how stupid some people can be. And its not just the oops stupid moment people. Its the people who are consistantly stupid about stuff. Everyone has a stupid moment but when you LIVE it constantly there's something wrong. Wonder what she would have done if her dogs hadnt backed off when your Bo got "nasty" about them being in his face like that. Now if dogs are properly trained i can understand people letting them off leash despite what the signs say but obviously this womens dogs werent that well trained or they would have responded to her when she was carrying on like a fool. All i can say is good job you for keeping your cool and good job Bo for giving them a taste of their own medicine. Glad nobody got hurt too except for a crazy women and a couple of designer dogs that probably hurt themselves when their tails hit them between their legs in their chicken status escape.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Liv - I just want to know who is the poor guy that drew the short straw and had to carry the poop bag? If that's your husband, I need some of your training tips.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
What great photos of a beautiful day with beautiful people and beautiful dogs (hey, is that a green poo bag I see in that guy's hand? Good for you if it is...)

I take out my girls in public all the time like you do, and though I agree you'd THINK parents would 'train' their children better so they'd ask before they start to pet.... generally kids do not ask.

I think it's the combination of people realizing that if I had crazy wackjob WhiteFang Killer on the other end of the leash, I'd probably not taken him on a busy hiking trail at all. So they figure I brought a 'good' dog.

Plus, and I have to say I've found this to be true, MOST people that take the time to find a hike and go for a walk of any distance at all in the woods TEND to be 'dog people' ! It's just this crazy thing I've noticed. And the longer the trail and more 'rustic' the more doggy the people are that I meet (and I mean 'doggy' in the best way :) )

1 - 20 of 30 Posts