German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a lot of you seem to have some good stories about your dogs and their deeds. What have they done, past or present, that made you proud to call them part of your family?

The first one that comes to mind was the dog I grew up with, Mo.
These are only things that I can recall myself.

My neighbors growing up had an Akita/mutt named Teddy two doors down, Teddy was a pretty nasty dog - it didn't matter if he was out of his yard, if he saw you he was coming for you. He was very serious, and anything he got ahold of he killed - can't tell you how many times I had to watch him shred small dogs/cats and drag them back home. He bit my brother one time, he went for his face but he turned quick enough and he grabbed his back pretty badly. One day, me and my brother were out in the yard, probably 5-6 years old. And Teddy had managed to jump into the next door neighbors' yard, and then (totally oblivious, we did not notice) he was digging a hole into ours behind our shed. Then here comes Teddy IN our yard, before we could make it to the door Mo slammed him like a bear, and actually went back out of the hole with him, and stayed on him until he was back in his yard. If Mo hadn't been out there with us, I hate to think what might have happened.

Then I got my little dog when I was eight. I had her in the alley behind my house playing, and out of nowhere a big mutt came at us and literally dragged her away from me, I can still hear the way she was screaming. He pulled her away, through bushes and out of sight. I don't even know how he did it, as we had an 8ft privacy fence, but Mo flew down the alley like a black rocket and beat the snot out of that dog, then just stood in his path blocking him from my little one as she ran back to the yard. By this time my parents had made it out there and took control over the situation, but I know Mo saved her from serious injury, if not her life.

The most recent, was near the end of his long life. My mother, I, and my niece -who was pretty small, I'm guessing 4- were out in the fenced yard enjoying the sunny Spring day. Just one second of not paying close enough attention.. We were on the other side of the yard but still in sight of her, gardening, and Mo took off as fast as I'd ever seen him run, silently, and I looked up in front of him and for a split second saw what he was doing; some grown man was trying to snatch my niece off of the ground from the other side of the fence, before I could even move Mo hit the gate like a dog in his prime and let out a roar like some other animal, and narrowly missed the mans' throat. He hit so hard he flew back onto his rump and then tried to get over after the man, who took off, at the same time he managed to knock my niece a few feet away.

I owe him so much. He's one of those dogs you never forget.

That would be me, in the picture. It wish I had a more clear picture of this - he was such a great boy.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
A special dog.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Rocky has done 2 heroic things in his life, both of which would suggest some sort of almost "psychic" ability.

The first one, he was around 2-3, and always slept in our room - without fail. Well one night he planted himself outside the bedroom door in the hallway. At the end of the hallway was the laundry room, which had an exit door into the garage. Around midnight he is going off - literally attacking the door that separates the hallways and laundry room. Loudest most ferocious bark I have ever heard, and he is leaping into the air and trying to get through the door. I check out there and nothing is amiss. We go to bed. In the morning I am heading out to work, truck parked in the garage. My window was knocked out and truck broken into.

Second, around 3 years later. I worked the night shift at the time, we have a routine of using the potty before I went to sleep around 7 am, then they slept until I got up at 3. Around 11am Rocky is whining for me to get up, literally pulling my sleeve with his teeth. I get up to let him go out, once I open the door to the backyard he just kind of stands there. I am so frustrated. Then I hear a KABOOM, my bedroom ceiling directly above my bed had caved in and the entire ceiling was on my bed.

Pic for your viewing pleasure

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
if it as accident is it still heroic? while hiking in a remote area my dogs led me to a whole bunch of items partially concealed by leaves and branches. long story short it was automotive training equipment from a tech school that was robbed that day. i led the police back to the site in complete darkness following the dogs, excess of $40 000 worth of tech equipment and a cell phone with a full set of text messages planning and conducting the robbery - the robbers were picked up and arrested within hours. they clearly dropped the phone by mistake. here is the kicker i met the robbers in the bush some distance from the items they were prolly looking for the phone as finding it would lead to an arrest, they were real cagey with me asking me where i been and what i had seen. i believe my dogs were a factor in them not taking further action against me alone in the scrub, that and i was strapped to the eyeballs. sure the dogs were not looking for the stuff they just saw somehting that did not fit the environment and were curious - but still. they did lead me back in the night. i also stood on a syringe at the site, the cops did not seem to even care about that and it was not in my first statement and i asked them to re-write my statement asnd put it in. i been tested twice for aids, hep etc and i am not infected.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing, I hope more people do! Dogs are amazing creatures, I don't think they get enough credit.

Carmen - He and the female GSD we had growing up were both the most tolerant, patient dogs I've ever met. We didn't know any better, we were kids, we used to ride them around the backyard and instead of getting grumpy when they'd had enough they'd roll over and love on us to get the message across.

I found the pictures I was originally looking for.
He would have been pretty young here.

And here is about one of the last I have of him.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My very first dog, Sebastian, was responsible for saving both my life and my parents' lives on two separate occasions. The first time, my parents were home and Sebastian was in the basement where he liked to sleep. It was the middle of the night and my parents hear the dog losing his mind, right outside their door. He just kept barking and barking, just having a fit. My mum opened the door and the dog rushed in followed by black, billowing smoke. A fire had been started in the basement. My parents had to jump out of the third story window. Before my mum jumped, she tried to take him with her, but he wouldn't leave. He kept running back and forth between their room and my room (I wasn't there) and the last thing she saw was him dissapearing back into the smoke, his bark hoarse. He ended up getting out of the house and going to my aunts' house, just a few doors up, and barking bloody heck. She woke up, let him in, saw the fire, and the rest is history. He ended up having what we believe were nose problems; sometimes he'd scent out a treat when you were holding it, but generally, he wouldn't know the treat was there until you showed it to him. He also had a residual cough and his bark always had a slight, tinny sound to it.

The second story: I was walking him and I was trying to go into the large yard with him to play fetch and just run around with my best friend. I started to walk across the driveway and he just stopped in his tracks and wouldn't go any further. I whistled and he still wouldn't move forward. He was pulling backwards, trying to pull me from away from the yard. There was nothing I could do to move him forward...and he was quite the senior dog at this point. My mother heard me having a time with him, so she came to the front door. Very quietly, she told me to bring him in the house, up the side steps. I got in the house, and my Mum took me to the front door. I look outside and there was a very large, rabid raccoon sitting just out of my line of sight. The PD came and killed it, AC took it, tested it, and it was positive.

Finn stories:

It was about 4 or 5 in the morning and I hear Finn scratching at my bedroom door. I can't figure out what's wrong. He started whimpering, so I figure he needed to go out. I opened the door and he runs halfway down the hallway and stops, looking at me. I walk towards him and he runs into my MILs bathroom. I call to him quietly, trying not to wake anyone up, and he comes back into the hallway, then he whines and goes back in the bathroom. I follow in, fully intent on reading him the riot act, and there's my MIL lying on the bathroom floor. She hadn't been feeling well the last two days and she passed out in the bathroom after her blood pressure went too low.

I'm at home, by myself, and I'm just about to go to bed. My husband was supposed to be home any minute, so I had left the door unlocked. He called to say he was going to be late and I should just head to bed and not wait up. I do my nightly ritual; put water in water bowls, food in food bowls, tidy up a bit...the usual. Now, I usually let Finn out first; he gets a good ten minutes to run the back yard and do his thing before bed, but he hadn't eaten in a few hours, so I figured a quick potty break just before I went upstairs was all that was needed. I am in the kitchen, with no direct line of sight to the front door, when I hear the door open and heavy steps coming through the front hallway. Finn is laying next to me in the kitchen, but he jumps up and goes to the living room. His tail and fur stand up and he lets out this roar; I have never heard him bark like this in my life. He snarls, growls, and just roars again. I dial 911 and come around the corner to find a man, standing in my living room, Finn letting him know exactly what he thinks of his presence. The guy starts to back up and Finn roared again. I tell the dispatcher I have some guy standing in my living room as he slowly backs out of the house. Finn doesn't move forward, but continues to snarl/growl/bark until the guy hits the threshold and he was gone. He then turned to me, his tail wagging, the GSD smile on his face as if to say, "Did I do good?" Needless to say, he got to eat the entire bag of treats that night and a huge steak the next day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I lived in a cabin in the mountains by a river, our roof had a steep pitch and the snowpack would always get very deep. One winter the snowpack outside on the ground was shoulder height and on the roof it was 3 ft. However, because of the heat on in the house, it was a 3ft thick block of ice.

Everyday, Moose and I would frolic in the snow, along the river and trails. One time we were coming back, just about to enter the house and he stopped, planted his feet and jerked me off my feet into the snow (I leashed him as we approached due to a neighbor dog). I scrambled up from the snow drift (wet, annoyed) and he dragged me back into the snow drift, away from the entryway.

Just then, a 3x9x20 ft block of ice from the roof skid off in one piece, crushing our car and blocking our front door.

I would have been killed.

Good boy, Moose. I love you and miss you forever, sweet BIG baby boy. <3

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Zena was my hero dog. When my husband first got into the navy and we were stationed at Camp Lejeune in NC, my husband was stuck at training for days on end to weeks the first 6 months we were there. We lived out in town because we didn't have the faintest clue how to get base housing, plus there was a waiting list. Our house was the one on the end on our street with this big field across the street and this empty lot next to us with a run down about to be torn down house next to that. Our backyard didn't have any lights. The hallway/laundry room/backdoor area had been an add on to the house and didn't provide intelligent lighting for that part of the house.

My husband was at night 4 of 12 for training with his new unit so he wasn't home. I had just put my daughter (then 6 months old) down for bed and settled in on the couch to watch a movie. I've always been really paranoid about making sure windows and doors are locked, especially at night. Too many bad experiences in apartments and previous homes. About halfway through the movie, Riley jumped awake and just stared at the front door. I looked out the window and saw nothing. Went back to watching my movie. Next thing I know, I hear this scraping kind of sound coming from that back hallway. I grabbed my baseball bat (only weapon I had at the time) and started to stand up. Zena was up and I swear, if I'd not seen it with my own eyes, I never would have believed it. She pushed Riley over in the hallway to stand in front of my daughters bedroom and stared him down which usually meant don't move or i'll hurt you. When I started to move towards the kitchen to check the back door, Zena shoved her way in front of me and wouldn't let me go any further. I was in the dining room almost to the kitchen when my back door slams open and this massive dark figure comes ambling in like it was nothing.

The guy HAD to have known someone was home. Livingroom lights were on, the front porch light got flipped on, etc. I was always home that time of night when my husband was gone. Always. Zena didn't make a sound. She just stood there like a statue for a minute watching this guy. When he stepped closer, she let out this scary as anything you'll ever hear in your life type of growl and this guy froze. When he decided to try for another step closer, Zena was after him. She chased him out the door and clear across the yard stopping at the fence line. When she came back inside, I leashed her up and had already been on the phone with the cops.

It really was perfect for the guy too because that whole section of the street was pitch black. Downtown area creepy at night. Police station a couple blocks over. But I really think Zena saved my daughter and I that night. Whatever his intentions were, they couldn't have been good. Hard to miss the car in the driveway and lights turning on. THAT kind of thing is why I have the dogs I have. Too many bad experiences and my husband being such a usable deployment asset for marines and navy, I want that early warning as well as the possibility I might need the dog to use those fabulously sharp teeth on a bad guy.

Don't get me wrong. I protect my dogs but if they can and will step up to the plate in this kind of situation, they're my first line of defense. They can move faster than I can and you better believe I will be moving to protect my kids.

Zena isn't the guard dog she used to be. She's living a retired life of spoiled rotten dogs at my father in laws house. She spends her days outside sleeping in her favorite spot (naturally the filthiest spot in the yard) and soaking up the sun.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Zena was my hero dog. When my husband first got into the navy and we were stationed at Camp Lejeune in NC, my husband was stuck at training for days on end to weeks the first 6 months we were there. We lived out in town because we didn't have the faintest clue how to get base housing, plus there was a waiting list. Our house was the one on the end on our street with this big field across the street and this empty lot next to us with a run down about to be torn down house next to that. Our backyard didn't have any lights. The hallway/laundry room/backdoor area had been an add on to the house and didn't provide intelligent lighting for that part of the house.

My husband was at night 4 of 12 for training with his new unit so he wasn't home. I had just put my daughter (then 6 months old) down for bed and settled in on the couch to watch a movie. I've always been really paranoid about making sure windows and doors are locked, especially at night. Too many bad experiences in apartments and previous homes. About halfway through the movie, Riley jumped awake and just stared at the front door. I looked out the window and saw nothing. Went back to watching my movie. Next thing I know, I hear this scraping kind of sound coming from that back hallway. I grabbed my baseball bat (only weapon I had at the time) and started to stand up. Zena was up and I swear, if I'd not seen it with my own eyes, I never would have believed it. She pushed Riley over in the hallway to stand in front of my daughters bedroom and stared him down which usually meant don't move or i'll hurt you. When I started to move towards the kitchen to check the back door, Zena shoved her way in front of me and wouldn't let me go any further. I was in the dining room almost to the kitchen when my back door slams open and this massive dark figure comes ambling in like it was nothing.

The guy HAD to have known someone was home. Livingroom lights were on, the front porch light got flipped on, etc. I was always home that time of night when my husband was gone. Always. Zena didn't make a sound. She just stood there like a statue for a minute watching this guy. When he stepped closer, she let out this scary as anything you'll ever hear in your life type of growl and this guy froze. When he decided to try for another step closer, Zena was after him. She chased him out the door and clear across the yard stopping at the fence line. When she came back inside, I leashed her up and had already been on the phone with the cops.

It really was perfect for the guy too because that whole section of the street was pitch black. Downtown area creepy at night. Police station a couple blocks over. But I really think Zena saved my daughter and I that night. Whatever his intentions were, they couldn't have been good. Hard to miss the car in the driveway and lights turning on. THAT kind of thing is why I have the dogs I have. Too many bad experiences and my husband being such a usable deployment asset for marines and navy, I want that early warning as well as the possibility I might need the dog to use those fabulously sharp teeth on a bad guy.

Don't get me wrong. I protect my dogs but if they can and will step up to the plate in this kind of situation, they're my first line of defense. They can move faster than I can and you better believe I will be moving to protect my kids.

Zena isn't the guard dog she used to be. She's living a retired life of spoiled rotten dogs at my father in laws house. She spends her days outside sleeping in her favorite spot (naturally the filthiest spot in the yard) and soaking up the sun.
Good Girl Zena! That gave me chills.

I can't recall anytime in my life where my dog has done something ' heroic ' but I enjoy reading all of yours!

I do have a heroic horse story though.
I was around ten years old and in the pasture with the horses. I had been around horses pretty much all my life so I could hold my own in the pasture. At that time, we had 6 horses and 1 colt and the colt was our first baby. Of course we did the worse thing you could do to your first baby, spoil him to death. Mojo ( 14.2 hands & full muscle colt. And yes, his name came from Austin Powers. His half brother was named Shaggy as in shagadelic ) grew up thinking he ruled you and if you entered the pasture, he would be in your personal space and more. A lot of times you had to walk around with a bucket or a lead rope to get him to back off. Anyways, I was walking in the pasture and all of a sudden Mojo was running full speed towards me. In a split second, Woodtick ( 16.2 hands beautiful palomino Saddlebred and the boss of the herd ) stepped next to me and pinned his ears and extended his nose out to stop Mojo from coming at me.

If it wasn't for Woodtick, I would have been trampled.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
WD is only 15 months old so his heroism is starting with the small things. He points out wasp nests and wasps crawling over the floor by scratching the floor in front of them.
I used to be highly (deadly) allergic to them but went through desensitization treatment, WD just doesn't know that yet :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
When I was a young teen, I had a female GSD that was a family pet. Solid nerves. Loved everyone. Went everywhere with me. She hated water.

One morning my BF and I went to the apartments that were behind my parents house to lay out at the pool. My GSD would lay under a gazebo that was near the pool to stay cool.

We were laying next to the gazebo when I decided I needed a dip in the pool to cool off. I didn't notice a man standing on his balcony right above the pool. I swam to the deep end and suddenly the man was on me. He had jumped off the balcony into the deep end. He held me under the water while attempting to remove the bottoms of my bathing suit. I was stuggling with everything I had.

Suddenly I was being yanked away from the man. My BF had jumped in to help me. When I reached the surface I could hear her screaming and a man screaming. She was screaming for me to run. I didn't look back at the screaming man till I climbed out of the pool. That was when I noticed my dog who was behind be trying to get out of the pool. We yanked her out. I looked up and saw the screaming man holding his bloody face.

According to my BF - she didn't see the man jump into the water. She just heard the splash. Then she saw Gretchen (my GSD) leap from under the gazebo and into the water. She realized what was happening and followed suit. Gretchen bit the man in the face.

I still wonder how she knew I was in trouble, I have no idea. I was underwater. We horse played all the time in the pool. She was truly amazing.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow!! These are amazing stories! Best dogs ever.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Good Girl Zena! That gave me chills.

I can't recall anytime in my life where my dog has done something ' heroic ' but I enjoy reading all of yours!

I do have a heroic horse story though.
I was around ten years old and in the pasture with the horses. I had been around horses pretty much all my life so I could hold my own in the pasture. At that time, we had 6 horses and 1 colt and the colt was our first baby. Of course we did the worse thing you could do to your first baby, spoil him to death. Mojo ( 14.2 hands & full muscle colt. And yes, his name came from Austin Powers. His half brother was named Shaggy as in shagadelic ) grew up thinking he ruled you and if you entered the pasture, he would be in your personal space and more. A lot of times you had to walk around with a bucket or a lead rope to get him to back off. Anyways, I was walking in the pasture and all of a sudden Mojo was running full speed towards me. In a split second, Woodtick ( 16.2 hands beautiful palomino Saddlebred and the boss of the herd ) stepped next to me and pinned his ears and extended his nose out to stop Mojo from coming at me.

If it wasn't for Woodtick, I would have been trampled.

I was terrified. I refuse to NOT have a GSD, especially after that but they have to have that protective instinct. The cops stayed outside my house all that night and told me if it ever happened again, just send Zena after em. I had to step outside to talk to the cops because Zena was NOT a happy dog at all after that incident. She was awake pretty much all night checking the house.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I was terrified. I refuse to NOT have a GSD, especially after that but they have to have that protective instinct. The cops stayed outside my house all that night and told me if it ever happened again, just send Zena after em. I had to step outside to talk to the cops because Zena was NOT a happy dog at all after that incident. She was awake pretty much all night checking the house.
That's why I will always have a GSD. Good girl, Zena!

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Wow I love these dogs. The stories of Mo,Moose,Rocky,Gretchen ,Zena and even young Wolfy Dog just show why GSDs are a breed once you have you will always treasure. I have to add that the horse story,that was a great horse who definitely was a hero.It reminded me of the stories of the Black Stallion. Ive told my story here a few times how Daisy alerted my husband when I fell out of bed during an insulin reaction.She also scared off a guy who got in my face when he stopped to take a stove we had put outside for trash pick up. He started screaming at me and Daisy knocked out the screen to the window that she watched out of from her perch on a big chair . that guy was definitely surprised . She was about to come through when he left in a big hurry. You folks have had some really scary situations and I am so glad your heros were there to stop the bad guys in their tracks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I look after my mum who has dementia and when Max was 7months she opened front door (she still agile) before I could get to her Max ran in front and blocked her path, could not believe what I was seeing he is amazing with her. So proud.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hahah that is great that the cop said just send Zena! I too would stand outside the house after that! Zena was probably like " Come on back sucker. I'll get ya this time ! "

1 - 20 of 20 Posts