German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that we've all accidentally taught our dogs at least one thing.

One thing I've taught Ozzy (at least the one I notice the most), is that when I unlock my car from inside, he jumps up and heads for the door, because every time I go to get something out of my car, or most places I go, he goes with me. He definitely knows that the beeps from my keys means he gets to go outside with me! (90% of the time anyway). Unless I'm going to work or school or somewhere he can't go, then I make him wait inside, obviously.

So what have you accidentally taught your dogs?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
When we head west down our street they think we are going to my parents and start whining like crazy in excitement! I swear, we have tested it, they do not act like that if we head a different direction!

Everytime I open the freezer they come running for an icecube...every.. single... time

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
First I taught Shasta to put her mouth on the foot of my desk chair by telling her leave it, then giving her a treat when she stopped chewing. She would put her mouth on the chair, then look at me for the treat. I figured out pretty quickly that wasn't a good thing (Yes! I'm trainable!) so I stopped treating and started reaching down and pushing her head away. So now when I am working and she wants attention, she'll come lay next to my desk chair and put her mouth on it because she knows I'll reach down and push her head away. Any attention is good attention, right?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The second my laptop closes he jumps up and heads to the hooks where his collar and lead hang... outside time!

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
That theres food in the refrigerator. I can't open that door without looking down and seeing a furry little dog head peaking in waiting for a snack.

Seriously though... every time.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The second my laptop closes he jumps up and heads to the hooks where his collar and lead hang... outside time!
Lol... Lucy does the same exact thing. She'll be snoring away and the second she hears the click from the laptop closing, she pops up and ready to go do something.

Same thing when I take a deep breath before standing up. I actually never even realized I did the deep breath before getting up thing, but I realized that everytime I do it, Lucy knows i'm getting up and going to do something. The second I take that deep breath, she's up and ready to go.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i got in the habit of feeding the dogs in the crates. Dont know why just did. Never had any issues with them arguing over bowls outside of the crates. Probably started it because the crates are next to the back door and near the closet the dog food is kept so i guess shorter distances involved. They get let out before dinner so while they're outside i fill their bowls and let them back in. They all head for their crates and wait for dinner so every now and then i'll throw them off and feed them somewhere else in the house lol. I'll post the video hubby took the other night.

I know this is for dogs but one thing my cat Faith has learned that if anyone goes to get some yogurt out of the fridge, she gets some too. Well every single time we head to the fridge for anything, suddenly there is this little 7 pound tabby sitting politely next to you staring into the fridge right at the yogurt. She then follows you wherever you go with that yogurt and waits patiently for her share. if you dont give her some soon enough when she thinks she's been patient enough you get a claw to the kneecap or elbow. Whichever she thinks will get the most attention at the time. She even knows which yogurt is strawberry and which is vanilla.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Oh, and in the morning Stark doesn't bug me at all until I take a deep breath, stretch and say, "Good morning baby".. then he RUNS on my bed, JUMPS on my chest, HOLDS ME DOWN and gives me a face bath! :wub:

It's so funny how we don't even think about doing these things and yet our dogs are so conditioned to them.

Lucy and Stark are such smarty pants!

·
Registered
275 Posts
A friend of mine taught her dog to sneeze on cue, he sneezed/coughed/hacked once, she laughed, went "Bless You"...and viola, a dog that sneezes (makes that weird snuffling sound that i call a dog sneeze) after he hears anyone say "bless you" =.=

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
This is probably common but I like the fact that my dog will bring me whatever she has if I ask for it. Or if she has dropped it and forgotten about it I will tell her to go get it and bring it to me. My previous dogs (non-GSDs) would have just looked at me with a blank stare. Probably the best thing that she has taught herself is to go deep into the woods to do her business when we walk on trails. Although we do pick up after her we glad not to have to.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I do transcription for a living, so the sound of my headphones hitting the desk means "time to run out of the office" to Shasta.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Rocky knows the sound of me changing into my walking clothes. If I go into my closet to change into work clothes, or going out clothes, or any other kind of clothes. . . he ignores it. If I'm changing into walking clothes he starts going crazy. I have the door closed, so he doesn't know which clothes I'm putting on. I work on a weird schedule so we walk at different times.

I have no idea how he knows this.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is not allowed near the table when we eat but he's learned that when I turn to the side in my chair and cross my legs and talk more that I'm finished eating. He comes over to see what's on the table and if there's anything left--he pretends he's just there for a pet but his eyes do a sweep of the plates.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I use NILF on Hondo - and because I'm lazy, I use 'Look' a lot. He could already be sitting or down etc. so 'Look' was just easier.

Now if you are a guest in my house and eating Hondo will walk to you sit or down next to you and stare at you in your eyes. He won't watch your food, or your hand but stare a hole into your eyes. My mother said he looks like he is saying that he is going to kill you if you don't give him EVERYTHING and not just a bite.

He doesn't do it to hubby and I so I just didn't notice it. Now we had to resort to having go lay in his kennel when guests are eating.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
When I say I'm going to take a shower, going to the store, or going to eat, Wolfie will stop whatever he is doing, even if I'm not talking to him, and get in his crate.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Rocky knows the sound of me changing into my walking clothes. If I go into my closet to change into work clothes, or going out clothes, or any other kind of clothes. . . he ignores it. If I'm changing into walking clothes he starts going crazy. I have the door closed, so he doesn't know which clothes I'm putting on. I work on a weird schedule so we walk at different times.

I have no idea how he knows this.
OMG.. I just realized Stark does this with my jogging pants too! So weird!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who does this... when they're puppies and can't be left alone for a second for fear of a potty accident or chewed valuable, I bring them in with me when I go to the bathroom- so I can keep an eye on them. Even though they no longer need to acompany me by 4-5 months old, I haven't peed alone since I got my first GSD when I was 16! ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts