German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question, do tell me if I am being petty. I rescued an almost 2 year old GS, in may of last year. He had never been socialized with people or animals. I taught him simple commands, had a problem with him coming the first time I called ( still do), took him for long walks, taught him how to fetch, feed and water him, played hide and go seek. Now for my question, my roommate (male), has done absolutely nothing with him other than pet him 24/7, he comes to him on first command, when I take him outside, i tell him let's go this way, wont even listen but looks to roommate which direction he is to go. I am at a loss, is there something I did incorrectly? I understand he is a dog not a human, but after the training, the walks my loving on him, yet it appears the tables have turned and now doesnt listen to me at all

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not an expert so sorry I don’t have an advice, but you’re definitely not the first person to mention that their dog has a ‘cool uncle’. That person that doesn’t feed or work the dog but is still somehow the best ever in their eyes. I understand the frustration and you’re not alone.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have a question, do tell me if I am being petty. I rescued an almost 2 year old GS, in may of last year. He had never been socialized with people or animals. I taught him simple commands, had a problem with him coming the first time I called ( still do), took him for long walks, taught him how to fetch, feed and water him, played hide and go seek. Now for my question, my roommate (male), has done absolutely nothing with him other than pet him 24/7, he comes to him on first command, when I take him outside, i tell him let's go this way, wont even listen but looks to roommate which direction he is to go. I am at a loss, is there something I did incorrectly? I understand he is a dog not a human, but after the training, the walks my loving on him, yet it appears the tables have turned and now doesnt listen to me at all
You guys should share notes. Maybe you both do something similar?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
He’s a rescue, maybe he was very attached to a male before you got him. He might also be more fun for the dog. Dogs don’t think like we do. Your dog doesn’t see the hours of time you put in, they are in the moment. It is worth using a private trainer for a few sessions to help you past this. We can’t see how you interact with him.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
My 5 y/o dog was originally to be my next service dog. He did not want that job. Said he wanted to be my competition dog instead, and so he is. I love him and he loves me. We've been pretty successful competing together and both enjoy it a lot.

But if his dad (my husband) is around, forget it. He is actually my husband's dog now who humors me by continuing to compete with me. If he has to choose between the two of us, or if two of us tell him to do different things, it's dad every time.

I think because I do everything unpleasant that has to be done. Like...nail trimming, anal glands, vet visits, for instance. He gets to ride along with dad to the dump and they stop at the corner store and he feeds him whole hot dogs for nothing. Dad is basically santa claus. And they do bro stuff together and they are adorable. I am happy for them. I accept that is his dog and they LOOOvE each other and I continue to do my part and let him just enjoy "his" dog.

Doesn't really help you so much since it isn't a family member for you. But it can definitely happen with the all fun all the time person that they see.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What everyone's said... Whenever my family and best friends come over (my sister, my cousins, my 5 year-old nephew), I'm GONE. I don't exist. But in the end he knows I'm his mummy, whom like @Thecowboysgirl said, trims his nails... Vet visits... I discipline him... Not fun for him but he knows who's Miss Alpha! And I'm sure your dog loves you most, he just doesn't show it in a way that's visible to you. Keep doing what you're doing and mostly, do fun activities with him, find out what he likes best.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
She said he doesn’t listen to her at all. That is not the same as liking someone else more. She needs to engage him and do obedience or more training so he will follow commands.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I know this won't be easy to hear, and I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but I do and have helped train dogs for many years. And I can tell you the section I've bolded in your comment below appears about 95% of the time when someone has an issue like this!

I understand he is a dog not a human, but after the training, the walks

my loving on him

, yet it appears the tables have turned and now doesnt listen to me at all
GSDs in particular, but most dogs generally, prefer to be present, be praised, and engage with you without a lot of what a lot of people call "loving on him"!

They try, via body language and signals to tell you this. But many people miss them. Hence, they put up with it, but they are never very comfortable with it.

So, then a new person comes along, who acts differently, maybe a little less affectionate, a little less focussed on them unless they want to be...and viola, new BEST friend!

The dog isn't liking them better, he's relieved to have found a human that seems more comfortable to be around! Nothing personal about it!

Don't feel bad, just learn from that and how to read your dog better. Change how you interact with him. Praise is good, but physical contact is often not needed or appreciated by the dog, so if your goal is to show the dog you love him, do it on terms he's comfortable with!

You'll find that less is more, and your dog will begin to engage you more, not less when you do this!

I taught him simple commands, had a problem with him coming the first time I called ( still do),
You asked, what you did wrong, answer THIS!

Training a dog means showing them CLEARLY what you want! Don't repeat your self, more than twice, and don't tolerate them not complying!

What does that mean?

You don't have to be heavy handed, or mean about it, be smart instead. It means don't issue a command unless you can enforce it!

Trust me, that takes a lot of self control and practice! But, if you're consistent doing that, you'll see improvement!

On the practical side, it means, when you give a command, initially give once in a regular voice, if you don't get compliance within a few seconds (in the beginning I give more leeway, like maybe 5 seconds), then issue the command in a more firm way. If still no compliance quickly, enforce it always!

Of course this is where self-control becomes very important! If you're not in a position to enforce a command (dog is off leash, for example, or maybe chasing something) you're better off not issuing the command in the first place!

Just stop allowing that insubordination and it will vanish - well, provided you take the above advice and stop loving on your dog in ways that make him uncomfortable!

Now for my question, my roommate (male), has done absolutely nothing with him other than pet him 24/7, he comes to him on first command
He treats your dog differently, so the dog wants to please him! Again, less is more! Be clear, praise, but not touch unless the dog wants it, and enforce/train/expect better behavior!

Good luck! Change a few things and you'll be amazed at the difference it will make!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts