German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been trying to find a good/cheap hard dog food for my 3 1/2 month old GSD. so i was wondering what everyone on here feeds their dogs?
thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
you mean as in "dry" food? What are you feeding him now?

There's a few relatively inexpensive dry foods that aren't bad out there,
If you have a costco near you, Kirkland brand, which is diamond, or Tractor Supply carries Diamond and 4health, Nature's Recipe isn't bad, others escape me right now.

Grocery store brands are usually crud, so I wouldn't go that route..

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stay away from anything you can buy at a grocery store, walmart. Those foods are no good. In all honesty the better foods may be more expensive but they have ingredients that create a healthier dog. Spend it now on food instead of later on et bills. That's my two cents anyway. I love Wellness and Pro Plan Selects. Orjin (sp?) is also great.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I feed 4Health. You can get it at Tractor Supply. its a good food and decently priced IMO. and my dogs love it. My pup adores it. She dances around for her dinner.

·
Registered
803 Posts
i feed dimond naturals large breed puppy. it doesn't have any corn, soy, or wheat in it. you can get it fairly cheap. $19 for 20lbs and 32-35 dollars for 40lbs. they have many other flavors of the naturals. the price does depend where you live i am sure, but it shouldn't be too much difference.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been using Costco brand for many years and would recommend it. About $20 for 40/lbs. My two GSD's are big eaters. I am sure I look like cousin Eddie loading up the shopping cart when I go to Costco.

John

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree on staying away from the grocery store/walmart foods. They will cost you lots of money in the long run at the vets!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I also feed Diamond Naturals and all my dogs do well on it.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I don't know the price for 4Health but you can go on the Tractor Supply website and print out coupons that are good for any dog food. They also sell Taste of the Wild

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
how much is 4health? can't find a price on it
thanks
Most of the formulas are $30 for a 35lb bag. The high performance and I believe the puppy formula are $35 for a 35lb bag.

I would point out that 4Health does NOT make a large breed puppy formula, and their regular puppy formula is not suitable for large breed puppies. Personally I plan to feed Innova large breed puppy to my puppy until he's 8 or 9 months, and then switch him over to the 4Health large breed adult.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was Blue Buffalo large breed puppy, switching over to Orijen Large Breed this weekend.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Most of the formulas are $30 for a 35lb bag. The high performance and I believe the puppy formula are $35 for a 35lb bag.

I would point out that 4Health does NOT make a large breed puppy formula, and their regular puppy formula is not suitable for large breed puppies. Personally I plan to feed Innova large breed puppy to my puppy until he's 8 or 9 months, and then switch him over to the 4Health large breed adult.
Thanks. I was just curious, I'm not planing on using it. I have a 10 yr old who is on Orijen and she is doing great on it. I can't believe how cheep the Kirkland (costco) stuff is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts