German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so sure that a WGWL GSD would be the best fit for me, but apparently I was following common misconceptions. So here's a post on what I'll be looking for in a dog. (I'll go to breeders and meet dogs firsthand, but here's just a quick layout so I can get a better idea). I'm going to say right now, I don't want a showline. (Am or German).

I want to get into SchH, more for fun than for competition. I want a dog with good drive, but not over-the-top. First time GSD, so I don't want to overwhelm myself with 'too much dog.' I want that eagerness to please. If there's one line that's particularly easier to train with toys than treats, that'd be nice. (That's how I train Ozzy, I found that I like toy training better than treat training...).

From my last post, it seems like the Czech lines might be a better fit, disregarding the misconceptions I was following?

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Sorry that you are limiting yourself. My ASL has plenty of drive and smarts and is also manageable.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
What you are looking for is a workingline dog and czech dogs are workingline also. I don't think it matters which type of WL you get so long as you are totally up front with the breeder about what you want in a dog, what you want to do with the dog, and be extremely honest about how much time you have to devote to exercise and training.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
West German Working line will be fine. Not every pup in every litter is going to have crazy drive just because the pups are West German. Take prey drive, every litter will mostly likely have a few that are a bit over the top, some right in the middle, and maybe a few that will make you want to go: "Hey, are you sure you belong here?". It's not that uniformed.

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
Sorry that you are limiting yourself. My ASL has plenty of drive and smarts and is also manageable.
Funny how differently people take things. I took Paddy's post as in "sorry you are limiting yourself to a specific line as ASL may also be a possibility you would like." Not as smug or nasty.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Everyone has their preference. The OP prefers to work her dog, so why would she want a dog bred for looks instead? She wants to know that the dog will be a sound working companion.

Just my take on it.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Funny how differently people take things. I took Paddy's post as in "sorry you are limiting yourself to a specific line as ASL may also be a possibility you would like." Not as smug or nasty.
Thanks Jax. I was just wondering why the OP was limiting herself to specific lines. Don't understand why others are ruled out as potential candidates. But hey, I don't mind being jumped on ... it's really none of my business even though the concern about possible misconceptions was stated openly. I guess we can't ask questions. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
32,020 Posts
Thanks Jax. I was just wondering why the OP was limiting herself to specific lines. Don't understand why others are ruled out as potential candidates. But hey, I don't mind being jumped on ... it's really none of my business even though the concern about possible misconceptions was stated openly. I guess we can't ask questions. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Not without full Kevlar gear!:laugh:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Uhm, you never asked a question. You told the OP (imo, in a smug tone) that she was limiting herself by not considering a showline. They are not for everyone. Had you asked about why she wasn't considering one, perhaps you wouldn't have felt jumped on.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
As mentioned before, there is great variety within the working lines and within some litters. It is best to get to know some breeders and their dogs. Find out what their dog's characteristics are and what they are aiming for in their breedings.

I am not sure schutzhund is a lot of "fun". It is very hard work and many hours of training. It can bring you and a dog a lot of gratification and fulfillment. Doing it with a dog that is not really well suited for it is not a lot of fun to me.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts

The op specifically said they want to get into schh. American lines are not the best bet to accomplish this goal. You have noted in the past things along the lines of how annoying it is when people shove working lines down your throat. But people interested in working lines feel the same way when they day they want a working line for schh and an american line person says to check those out.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
I think when someone has specific goals for the dog, as is the case here and clearly stated in the first post, that limiting selection to lines proven to be successful in that area is quite wise. If someone were interested in AKC conformation showing, looking at anything but ASL would not be conducive to those goals. If German style conformation showing, then German show lines should be the focus of the search. But when someone is looking to do SchH, looking at anything but working lines is probably not wise. Now for a companion, sure, any line can be a good choice. But as Samba said, trying to do something with a dog who is unsuited, whatever that something is, does take a whole lot of the fun out of it. Dogs with natural talent are not only much more enjoyable to work, and much more successful, but also much easier especially for a novice where the skills and knowledge are not there yet to provide "special ed" training.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
here's my thought Konostashi.... you said you want a dog with good prey drive. my concern about a good to high prey drive is that Ozzy might become the prey.

maybe not of course, especially since Ozzy is in the pack, but it may be something to consider. Anyone else out there think Ozzy could have trouble with a higher prey drive GSD?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
wait...you said "drive" not "prey drive" . still may want to consider the drive when it comes to Ozzy

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
here's my thought Konostashi.... you said you want a dog with good prey drive. my concern about a good to high prey drive is that Ozzy might become the prey.

maybe not of course, especially since Ozzy is in the pack, but it may be something to consider. Anyone else out there think Ozzy could have trouble with a higher prey drive GSD?

No, he shouldn't have any more trouble with a "high" prey dog than he would with a dog with less prey drive. My GSD's live with my Schipperke, and they haven't hurt him yet. My Puppy (just turned a year old) is even submissive to the Schip since the Schip is older and more dominant right now.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Most dogs are quite capable of telling another dog is a dog. And dogs aren't prey, regardless of size. Particularly ones that they live together with.

Cats, rabbits, chickens, ferrets, other species that very often ARE prey can be another matter entirely, though even then if the dog has proper balance of temperament and is well socialized and managed around those creatures it shouldn't be an issue.

Now, GSDs do play rough, and a small dog engaging in prey with something 20 times it's size could potentially be injurred. But prey drive toward another dog that the pup lives with and is raised with should never be an issue.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I think the person who can best answer your question is you-plus you are lucky in that right now you can not get a german shepherd so you have time that you can go to clubs or shows and look at the different dogs and see what you like. If you want to do schutzhund you could put a BH on Ozzy-and personally I think that a club that would be open to that would be a great club to be in

1 - 20 of 46 Posts