German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a German Shepherd puppy named Mia, she is 8 weeks old. I was wondering what dog food I should feed her that isnt super expensive. im looking for something about $1/pound. I have seen a few like Diamond Naturals and Victor. I was wondering what you guys think I should do.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Both brands are good, tried both. According to some people, Victor has the edge over Diamond Naturals. But my dog like Diamond Naturals a lot better than Victor, and a lot more affordable in my opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both brands are good, tried both. According to some people, Victor has the edge over Diamond Naturals. But my dog like Diamond Naturals a lot better than Victor, and a lot more affordable in my opinion.
Victor puppy food is about $55 for a 40lb bag, while diamond naturals is $45 for a bag. Im currently feeding her Rachel ray (basically all that was left besides like pedigree at walmart) until I choose one.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I personally would never feed Diamond products because of their recall history. If I had to choose one over the other it would be Victor.

If I had a growing puppy I would be feeding them the best kibble I could afford.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally would never feed Diamond products because of their recall history. If I had to choose one over the other it would be Victor.

If I had a growing puppy I would be feeding them the best kibble I could afford.
any suggestions for puppy food? maybe I can go out and spend some more extra for her developing stages

·
Registered
31,360 Posts
I've been very happy with Victor. The High Energy is appropriate for a large breed puppy.

When you are comparing $10, you need to look at the actual analysis of a food to look at protein, fat and calories per cup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
31,360 Posts
I looked at the high energy and fed it to my girl when she's a puppy. It's an option for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i was looking at VICTOR Select Nutra Pro Active Dog & Puppy Formula Dry Dog Food, 40-lb bag - Chewy.com
not sure if the high energy is as good for a puppy as it dosent say if its for adult or puppy
Nutra Pro is good. Mine came from the breeder on it and I continued until about a year old. Nutra Pro gave my pup dark poop. If you use this, don't freak out. That's normal. Victor and Chewy will tell you that pretty much the whole line of Victor dog foods are good for puppies also. I asked both companies. He's now on a mixture of Professional and Performance. Professional's only 44.99 for a 40lbs bag. Chewy even sells a 50lbs bag which will be even cheaper per pound. Good luck in your decision and welcome to the GSD family.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nutra Pro is good. Mine came from the breeder on it and I continued until about a year old. Nutra Pro gave my pup dark poop. If you use this, don't freak out. That's normal. Victor and Chewy will tell you that pretty much the whole line of Victor dog foods are good for puppies also. I asked both companies. He's now on a mixture of Professional and Performance. Professional's only 44.99 for a 40lbs bag. Chewy even sells a 50lbs bag which will be even cheaper per pound. Good luck in your decision and welcome to the GSD family.
Thanks. I think im going to use nutra pro. When is usually time to switch from puppy food to dog food?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also how long did the 40lb bag of nutra last when your dog was a puppy?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks. I think im going to use nutra pro. When is usually time to switch from puppy food to dog food?
Someone with more experience with GSDs may have a better answer but years ago, someone told me around the 1 year old birthday. It really depends on the dog. If your dog is growing really really fast, you might want to switch to adult food sooner to slow down that growth.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Also how long did the 40lb bag of nutra last when your dog was a puppy?
I can't remember exactly....but I want to say a 40lbs bag lasted about a month...more or less. 4+ cups a day. Mine really loved Nutra Pro and it would be gobbled down really quickly. If your pup is high energy like mine, it may need a little more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts