German Shepherds Forum banner

Which Flea / Tick preventative do you use?

• Comfortis

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • K9 Advantix

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Frontline

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Advantage

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Revolution

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 35 39.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get ready to add another member to my little fur family, I am wondering what flea meds everyone uses and what ones have the best results. I have searched the forum here and its a bit of everywhere each on its own thread for the specific brand. Please take a second to answer. If you choose other comment with what.

I currently use K9 Advantix II with good results but considering changing to comfortis.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
We were told by our vet when we moved to switch to Revolution because of the tick situation here. I can't really say if it's better than Frontline because we just didn't have the ticks in Pgh like we do here nor was I out in the woods as much as I am here, but he does come home with considerably less ticks than his other SAR buddies still alive/attached.

·
Registered
245 Posts
As I get ready to add another member to my little fur family, I am wondering what flea meds everyone uses and what ones have the best results. I have searched the forum here and its a bit of everywhere each on its own thread for the specific brand. Please take a second to answer. If you choose other comment with what.

I currently use K9 Advantix II with good results but considering changing to comfortis.
If you add your location/general area it could help people give you appropriate suggestions, especially for what takes care of your region's ticks. :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The joyus question of where we live... My friends tell me we move more than people in the witness protection program haha! Right now and for the next 1.5 months Fort Meade Maryland. Then we are going back home to our little farmette in the woods of Eastern Ohio.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I use Neem oil for ticks and fleas cos it works and is none toxic and is cheap as chips. I can put on any time and not worry about the dogs licking it or getting a reaction to it as it is totally safe to consume.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use Neem oil for ticks and fleas cos it works and is none toxic and is cheap as chips. I can put on any time and not worry about the dogs licking it or getting a reaction to it as it is totally safe to consume.
I am all for holistic and natural ways to do things. Tell me more, are you using it like a topical? As a spray? I want to know more! I am super surprised my very close native american friend who makes tinctures for me for other issues such as Cushings has not told me about this! I am very excited please please tell me more.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We were told by our vet when we moved to switch to Revolution because of the tick situation here. I can't really say if it's better than Frontline because we just didn't have the ticks in Pgh like we do here nor was I out in the woods as much as I am here, but he does come home with considerably less ticks than his other SAR buddies still alive/attached.
Another Pittsburgh Native located here in this Raven filled State! :wild:

I will try Revolution since I am here in the old Line state for now, until I move back outside of Pgh in Ohio :)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I switched from frontline to comfortis when it stopped working and I got fleas in my house. Now I use trifexis so I get the heartworm protection at the same time. I don't use a tick preventative. I have honestly never found a tick on either of my dogs.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Are there any recommendations for Washington? Trifexis is pretty pricey :/ and I remember a thread on hear mentioning Sprintime's Bug Off for dogs as a natural preventative.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I use Frontline, which my vet recommends. When we had a bad flea problem in our home, I tried several other solutions and nothing really worked, not sure how we finally got rid of them, except perhaps the seasons changed and they just died out or something. Seems like Frontline works as well as anything else and when it doesn't, nothing else does either.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I used to use Revolution, but haven't used anything for about 3 or 4 years now. No fleas, and I pulled one tick off a dog one time in 12 years -- just not worth pouring poison into the dog every month for something that ain't happening.

But if I do see a flea on anyone, I will be hitting all of them with either Revolution or Advantage Multi and probably do it two or three months running.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I wish I could use just Neem spray or some other natural medicine. My boy is allergic to flea bites and I use Advantix on him. My girl doesn't tolerate Advantix so I have to give her Advantage and she seems to do well on it. I wonder what all the "other" votes were.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use Comfortis. We have really bad fleas here in W. Tennessee. I tried to switch to the new Frontline topical and DH complained so we are back on Comfortis. In a month or so I may switch to Trifexis because it is cheaper than buying both Comfortis and Heartguard every month. Ive only found two ticks so far this year, Im not totally worried about it though as they arent as seemingly prevalent as fleas and heartworms.

LO

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Trifexis (which uses Comfortis). We have really bad fleas here, so I take no chances.... strong flea meds, and we use it year around. FL is not forgiving when it comes to bugs.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts