German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know that I am trying to get my GSD's ears to stand. I have had her ears taped-up for a while but when I take them off they stand for a few hours then fall back down.

Some questions...

1. How exactly does the cartilage in the ear get stronger or stiffer?

2. Can ears stand-up overnight? meaning could I have her ears up and then a month from now her ears simply stand on their own because of cartilage getting stronger?

3. What other tips does anyone have? I plan on taping her ears till the end of the year and if they don't stand, then fine, but as long I am trying I want to give it my best shot.

:smile2:

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
If they are not standing by now, they never will.
I would stop messing with the ears, because once you start irritating them and getting ear infections, it’s a nightmare, really.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like we told you before

Well "We told you you so" isn't exactly helpful or useful.

I talked to my breeder and she said that since the tips are standing and her ears stand sometimes it is still possible they might go up. She also said my GSD isn't done growing physically, after she examined her and although late, up to 18 months old is still not too late to tape her ears. I still think my GSD could put on a good 15lbs as well.

I'm thinking about giving her shark cartilage supplements as I've read that helps. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I didn't say "We told you so". Perhaps read the rest of the sentence.

Maybe you should consult with the breeder again. Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Who is the breeder who told you that?
I think she’s selling you a load of baloney.
Your GSD’s weight looks fine. GSDs should be slender with a nice tuck, not fat. Their joints will do much better with less weight to stress them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who is the breeder who told you that?
I think she’s selling you a load of baloney.
Your GSD’s weight looks fine. GSDs should be slender with a nice tuck, not fat. Their joints will do much better with less weight to stress them.
I'm aware that I was probably told what I wanted to hear, but that being said her ears aren't totally hanging either. That is why I am interested in what exactly is going on in her ear to make them stand up or not.

Also she is very very long in body. When she stands up on her hind legs she might be around 6' that is why I think she can still gain some healthy weight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It sounds like you have already gotten your answers here. As a casual observer I think that you have a good looking dog there. I would just let her ears do their thing and enjoy her.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It sounds like you have already gotten your answers here.

Well, the question I asked before was whether or not floppy ears were considered a health problem rather than a cosmetic issue. Since I am having her ears taped-up for the next couple of months I was hoping I might get some tips or advice for this final stretch. I guess if her ears don't stand I will just give her up to the local shelter.

Just kidding. I would have gotten her ears up or ears down anyway. Others in the forum did convince me, along with my breeder, that I might as well try to tape her ears and see if they are prone to standing so that is what I am doing. I am not asking for snarky comments or to just let it go. I was just hoping for some helpful last-minute advice which I'll apparently have to google.

See! she looks fine with ears half-up anyway...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Her ears will never stand. Love her for who she is no matter what her ears do. I am sure you will.
I think your breeder is not being honest with you about the ears standing as well

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
OP I have moved your thread to the Ears Up forum.... perhaps you will find your answers in some of the other posts here. There is even a member who had success with a 14 month old - at least at the time of their post. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't know if they will stand or not. I have never had to tape ears but I don't care for the method you are using. It's not a natural shape for the cartilage to be pulled so narrow as you have them. I think a manufactured ear form that mimics the natural shape of the ear would be better. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OP I have moved your thread to the Ears Up forum.... perhaps you will find your answers in some of the other posts here. There is even a member who had success with a 14 month old - at least at the time of their post. Best of luck.

Thank You! I didn't know there was another subforum for such a specific issue. I guess that's both good and bad...LOL.

Also like the member with the 14 month old, I am applying a similar method. Apparently the shape and the light weight are good to get the ears stronger. Hopefully it works for me too.

@Fodder - Thanks again..prolly gonna read every thread!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey everyone reading this! There is a lot of good information in other threads. One person STARTED taping his GSDs ears at 14 months and had success however he taped them for 6 months. Here is an answer I found to the question I asked about ear physiology which I thought may be helpful.

i started to read up a bit about cartilage and healing times, from what i read cartilages take a real long time to heal due to having a deprived blood supply, which means that nutrients that help in healing are not readily obtainable.

So it would seem that getting them strong is a long process and most importantly you have to be diligent in taping otherwise the creases in the ear or cartilage will always "re-injure" itself. I think it makes a lot of sense to examine the ear for any out of sync crease and try to tape them with moleskin + adhesive. I will be checking my GSDs ears out more extensively after I remove the current ear-inserts. The insulation foam starts to get very soft over time so it always has to have a fresh roll in there.

Something else my breeder told me is that the tips were stiff & up which is a good sign....if down is a sign that taping might not work. My dog's ears crease in the middle so I need to focus on that. I plan on keeping that middle part rigid for quite a while longer than 2 more months. But as the dog grows his ears will get slowly incrementally stronger.

Anyways good luck everyone!

p.s. It is very common to use insulation foam as well

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Lauren, I know this isn't what you want to hear or an answer to your science question, but I have seen a lot of GSD's in my day. Those ears aren't going up. They don't even show support at the base. When ears are in the puppy stage of going up and down due to teething, you can still see they are strong at the base, they sometime are up but out or sideways. I went through the anxiety of this between 3-5 months of up and down. I did lots of things even though I knew they were going to pop and they did with vigor and they aren't going down. Gelatin in the food, chicken necks, lots of bone, benebones. An adult with sometimes up or up for a little while because you taped them probably means they aren't staying up. It's genetic and unfortunately it just wasn't meant to be. I get it though, a GSD with ears down doesn't look the same, but I would love her or him no matter what and I know you will. They just look really weak. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Lauren, I know this isn't what you want to hear ...

Thanks.

Funny thing is I never thought it was imperative until I started taping them. But I figure as long doesn't hurt to try for a few more months at least. Like sometimes she raises them on her own like if there is a knock at the door or something. I have a feeling that her ears were compromised because she slept in a crate all her life before I got her. Her breeder told me that it wasn't common with her dogs (of course what would I expect her to say?).

There are some amazing results in this ears-up forum from what I've read. I don't know though. I'm probably going to move towards the less noticeable, moleskin brace inside her ears and then just wait it out.

What are your thoughts on her tips staying rigid though? Will that rigidity go down towards the base of her ears?? Also even with her ears taped-up people have asked me what kind of dog she is. I think the sable colour really throws people off. Oh well....

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks.

Funny thing is I never thought it was imperative until I started taping them. But I figure as long doesn't hurt to try for a few more months at least. Like sometimes she raises them on her own like if there is a knock at the door or something. I have a feeling that her ears were compromised because she slept in a crate all her life before I got her. Her breeder told me that it wasn't common with her dogs (of course what would I expect her to say?).

There are some amazing results in this ears-up forum from what I've read. I don't know though. I'm probably going to move towards the less noticeable, moleskin brace inside her ears and then just wait it out.

What are your thoughts on her tips staying rigid though? Will that rigidity go down towards the base of her ears?? Also even with her ears taped-up people have asked me what kind of dog she is. I think the sable colour really throws people off. Oh well....
I'm not quite sure what the rigidity of the tips means to the overall process. Also, surprisingly, lots of people ask everyone what kind of dog their GSD is. It's so strange and so obvious.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts