German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was cleaning today I got to thinking about my favorite products (since I was using one of them) and thought this would be a good post. What do you think every pet owner should have, I am not talking about toys, food etc.

My top 3 are:
1. Dyson animal vacuum, love love, love it! Did I say love it? I can't believe the hair this thing picks up :wub:
2. Bissell spot bot, oh if you have puppies this is a must have! It really does clean up the worst messes and you can walk away while it does all the hard work :D

3. Full size carpet cleaner, worth its weight in gold! Took me about an hour to vacuum and shampoo my livingroom carpet tonight. Nice thing is I do not have to take it back to the store and it is here anytime I want to use it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Febreze, Woolite carpet cleaner for small spots and we just got a full size carpet cleaner. That thing is the ticket! I can't wait to use it in our bedroom!

P.S. I have to say that right now I could use some air freshener. Jackie is sleeping under my desk and I believe my little girl will need to go outside to go potty soon, if you know what I mean. Stinky, stinky girl. :sick:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I love my Dyson vacuum cleaner! That is a must when you have GSD's or any dog that sheds a lot! :D

I wish I could afford to either put tile down in the whole house or wood floors. Would be so much easier to clean.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what every pet owner should have;
someone else to feed the dog, clean the house, walk
the dog, clean the dog.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
1. A dog seatbelt, type that is strength-rated and/or safety tested (or car crate, if your dog can't use a seatbelt)

2. A pet first aid kit

3. Nature's Miracle

Another product I really like is Pure Ayre odor eliminator, but I decided the Nature's Miracle is more of necessity.

My top 3 are:
1. Dyson animal vacuum, love love, love it! Did I say love it? I can't believe the hair this thing picks up :wub:
2. Bissell spot bot, oh if you have puppies this is a must have! It really does clean up the worst messes and you can walk away while it does all the hard work :D

3. Full size carpet cleaner, worth its weight in gold! Took me about an hour to vacuum and shampoo my livingroom carpet tonight. Nice thing is I do not have to take it back to the store and it is here anytime I want to use it.
I don't have any of those things! :cry:
Then again, I only have 2 carpeted rooms (one of which is dog-free), and a rug in the living room.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Also a bottle of Vetericyn. Great for any cuts and scrapes, eye problem, bothersome ears. I use it for everything on my dog.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
1. Patience.

2. Willingness to take the blame for what the dog does wrong.

3. Poop pickup bags. Few things I hate more than seeing poop all over the place when we go on walks. D:

4. A crate. Regardless of whether the dog needs to be in one, they should at least be used to one in case they need to stay in a kennel at a vet's office for surgery, or car rides.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
a totally awesome vacuum (which sadly i dont have yet. mine is pathetic but does a decent job)

lysol

febreeze

a maid i dont have to pay...

·
Registered
28 Posts
let me put a small insight as a carpet cleaner.. some may disagree but you know not everyone is perfect!

bissell little green machine: a must have for those new spots from the doggy or even a wine spill!

as far as spot cleaners go.. STAY AWAY FROM FEBREEZE, RESOLVE, OXYCLEAN etc etc. the only things that are useful are non magnetics... the reason being is this, lets say a spot occurs, you spray with resolve.. spot goes away! 2 weeks later it was dirtier than it was? why is that? its because the residual was NOT removed, therefore it becomes sticky and attracts more dirt to it! in all honesty you do not need to heed from using these products, but the most important fact is getting the product out of your carpet.

the little green machine is great for this, even if you use a rug doctor, or a kirby portable unit, never put soap into the water... think of it like this, when you wash your hair with shampoo, you dont rinse with soap right? if so the soap is in your hair, which is the same for carpeted areas. Use warm water, and if soap is needed, put it in a spray bottle with just a drop of dish soap! make sure you clean and extract properly with said machine!

you can also do this with a blot dry towel technique. have a couple dry towels handy, use an extra towel for luke warm water, ring it out as much as you can, and blot with a dry towel, then place warm towel over it ( DO NOT SCRUB ) and use a dry towel to extract.. rinse and repeat!

ps. using something like resolve can actually 'frame' the picture. not only can it attract dirt to it, but it can also bleach the spot to where it wont come out.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
let me put a small insight as a carpet cleaner.. some may disagree but you know not everyone is perfect!

bissell little green machine: a must have for those new spots from the doggy or even a wine spill!

as far as spot cleaners go.. STAY AWAY FROM FEBREEZE, RESOLVE, OXYCLEAN etc etc. the only things that are useful are non magnetics... the reason being is this, lets say a spot occurs, you spray with resolve.. spot goes away! 2 weeks later it was dirtier than it was? why is that? its because the residual was NOT removed, therefore it becomes sticky and attracts more dirt to it! in all honesty you do not need to heed from using these products, but the most important fact is getting the product out of your carpet.

the little green machine is great for this, even if you use a rug doctor, or a kirby portable unit, never put soap into the water... think of it like this, when you wash your hair with shampoo, you dont rinse with soap right? if so the soap is in your hair, which is the same for carpeted areas. Use warm water, and if soap is needed, put it in a spray bottle with just a drop of dish soap! make sure you clean and extract properly with said machine!

you can also do this with a blot dry towel technique. have a couple dry towels handy, use an extra towel for luke warm water, ring it out as much as you can, and blot with a dry towel, then place warm towel over it ( DO NOT SCRUB ) and use a dry towel to extract.. rinse and repeat!

ps. using something like resolve can actually 'frame' the picture. not only can it attract dirt to it, but it can also bleach the spot to where it wont come out.

see i have kids. I use the febreeze not just for doggie smells but dirty diaper smells... i prefer my house to smell at least a little pleasant.... also have cats too...

·
Registered
28 Posts
see i have kids. I use the febreeze not just for doggie smells but dirty diaper smells... i prefer my house to smell at least a little pleasant.... also have cats too...
in that sense, i would use natures miracle, to get rid of the odor and create a semi pleasurable smell. only being because natures miracle is a non magnetic which means non residual! febreeze ( unless it has changed which i doubt ) will attract more to it than you think. but just as long as you get it out by any means necessary then you would be golden!

natures miracle is one of those types that you can just pour on, let it go and it will be fine, so putting this in a spray bottle is definitely a good choice, and sure it is a little pricy but i think its worth it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
in that sense, i would use natures miracle, to get rid of the odor and create a semi pleasurable smell. only being because natures miracle is a non magnetic which means non residual! febreeze ( unless it has changed which i doubt ) will attract more to it than you think. but just as long as you get it out by any means necessary then you would be golden!

natures miracle is one of those types that you can just pour on, let it go and it will be fine, so putting this in a spray bottle is definitely a good choice, and sure it is a little pricy but i think its worth it!

i'll check it out but i'm a febreeze fan. Had a friend who used Nature's Miracle and something about the scent bugged me. May have just been at their house so who knows.

·
Registered
28 Posts
yea i mean every different product has their own scent, but most of the time when you go to purchase you can usually take the cap off and get a whiff, not saying anything bad about febreeze just you know, being a cleaner i try to tell people to stay away from it. pretty much anything you put on your fabric/carpet, needs to be extracted ( mostly anything 'magnetic' ), otherwise it becomes sticky and ends up being a larger problem even though its not noticeable.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I can't use anything scented, they make me really sick. Everything I use is hypoallergenic and "free and clear." I use vinegar to clean up pet messes and as my all purpose cleaner for kitchen and bathroom. Great stuff.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

So I am clear on this, I should only use water in my large Bissell then spot spray with the water and soap?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Hard surface flooring.

The patience of a saint.

Sense of humor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I am clear on this, I should only use water in my large Bissell then spot spray with the water and soap?
correct. essentially if you put the hot water and soap together, you arent truly extracting the soap you put in, which over time gets sticky and attracts even more dirt.

alot of people rent those rug doctors and say well it was good when we first cleaned it, but 3 weeks later it looked dirtier than it was before! this is the exact reason you rinse with water, and use the soap and spray bottle on stuff that wont come out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't use anything scented, they make me really sick. Everything I use is hypoallergenic and "free and clear." I use vinegar to clean up pet messes and as my all purpose cleaner for kitchen and bathroom. Great stuff.
try a product called 'DFC'. you may have to go to a local carpet cleaning store, or lets say janitorial store ( well im sure you can find online ) to pick one up. i'm not too sure on the pricing of it, it may be kinda high but not toooooo crazy. here's a link if you want to check out the product!

this is what we use to people with bad allergies or want a no smell clean!

Chemspec DFC Detergent Free Cleaning

1 - 20 of 21 Posts