German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I'm looking for a quality ingredient kibble that dogs enjoy and good nutrition for :
GSD Puppy & Senior
So what brands and flavors do you use?

Right now I'm feeding purina healthy puppy (breeders choice not mine) i do not at all care for the ingredients so I'm switching and thus the question.

I'm hoping to find a kibble that i can feed both from being i use little kibble and lots of raw & cooked.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I currently feed Victor. I usually feed the Hi-Pro Plus formula, but am feeding the Ultra Pro formula at the moment as the store I buy my pet food from was out of the Hi-Pro when I last went to replenish the supply.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I fed fromm large breed gold puppy food very happy with the food no loose stools itchy ears and would gobble it up. Luna being slightly more picky although as an adult she gobbles up the kibble with nothing added. Now i feed fromm gold and victor. Happy with the food. Max nose is always a bit dry and now Luna’s is dry most likely from the dry winter air so that’s what we have now. I add either Stella and chewys dehydrates beef patties or primal, goats milk, eggs fresh meat to make their kibble less boring.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Let's work on this from a different angle: what's your budget per month for dog food?

If you can afford it and/or have time to feed something more complicated, I wouldn't feed dry kibble at all, as there are so many better options.

At the top of the line, if money isn't a constraint, there's Ziwi Peak or commercial HPP raw. Below that, there's dehydrated, minimally processed human-grade food mixes (like The Honest Kitchen, or even Sojo's), as well as base-mixes for adults (designed to be fed with raw to make a complete meal (like Dr. Harveys, The Honest Kitchen, Sojo's, and Balance It). I would put freeze-dried raw nuggets like Nulo in this ultra-high end category too. With any food in this category, you're probably looking at about $200/mo. (or possibly more) for dog food.

Then you can get into high-end kibbles costing nearly $100 per relatively small bag. And then gradually scale down to the mid-grade-but-quite-decent kibbles that are around $40-50 for a big 40# bag. That's about as low in price as you're likely to ever see recommended here, but there are a lot of fine options in between those price points.

Dog food quality falls on a spectrum, from utterly unacceptable to absolutely stellar, and most of it is somewhere in the middle. Kibble is a compromise of convenience and price.

So....what's your budget? When we have an idea of how much you comfortably plan to spend on food, we can tell you brands we've fed in that price range that feed out well.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!! You all are awesome. I ordered a bag of the Fromm for puppy and will see how that works. The puppy isn't so picky as my older dog has always been picky. I'll give the ole man some nibbles from it and see if he likes it, if so I'll order it for his age as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks everyone!! You all are awesome. I ordered a bag of the Fromm for puppy and will see how that works. The puppy isn't so picky as my older dog has always been picky. I'll give the ole man some nibbles from it and see if he likes it, if so I'll order it for his age as well.
We feed Scarlett Racheal Ray Peak grain free kibble food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts