German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read Puppies for Dummies by Sarah Hodgson, I kid you not about 30 times in the last year. I highly recommend this book! :D

I find the information so fascinating, helpful, and encouraging. I enjoy that all the information is categorized by process of obtaining a puppy, learning stages, stages of behavior, and problem areas for improvement. :)

As much as I enjoy this book, I would really like to get some input and recommendations on other wonderful reads that help guide people in raising a healthy, well balanced dog. What books do you read and recommend? Also, has anyone read Dog Perfect by Sarah Hodgson?

I have read a few books on GSDs and I feel they did no justice in explaining the breed and how to handle and train one. I even read German Shepherds for Dummies and it did not divulge much about the breed, it mainly concentrated on general care issues - nutrition, tricks, and history. I read a Dog Whisperer book and all I took away was information about his background and life. What about the dogs? :crazy: There has got to be more than just being calm and assertive.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
For the love of a dog, Tamar Geller.............. the book by the Monks of New Skete.
Was disappointed by Cesar Milan's raising a perfect dog book.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I know Leerburg Kennels has a lot of articles and such on their website regarding puppies you might want to check out.

Also, someone posted on here...not sure where...about a book called "The German Shepherd Dog Handbook". It looked pretty interesting. I was thinking about purchasing it myself.

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I was recommended the book Purely positive training by Sheila Booth, by Karlo's breeder. I read it while I waited for him!
It has wonderful information on puppy foundation training. I like the Michael Ellis clips on Leerburg for training.
Remember~ pups don't stay pups for very long!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, wonderful suggestions. I am definitely going to take a look into some of these reads. =) Thank you for the recommendations.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In another thread in this forum lots of folks had recommended 'German Shepherd Handbook' by Dr. Mary Belle Brazil-Adelman. I found this book used for $0.25 on Amazon and ordered it...

·
Registered
936 Posts
I read every book I could think of so I could train my boy right....problem apparently is my puppy did not read them:happyboogie:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts