German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently i am feeding my 2 Shepherds Merrick Dog food. What would you guys recommend besides that. Merrick is getting pretty pricey which is not a big deal i was just wondering if there is anything better for the price

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
The lowest-priced, decent food I know of is Kirkland (Costco) chicken and rice -- $28 per 40 pounds. It's nearly identical to 4Health (Tractor Supply) and Diamond Naturals (same manufacturer), which cost just over $30 per 40 lb. It's very economical because of the amount you feed (around 3 c. for an adult), and most dogs with no allergies do quite well on it. It's the lowest-priced option I know of that I'm comfortable recommending -- we've fed a lot of in in our breed rescue, and it feeds out nicely. There are better foods, but not for this price.

Victor's entry-level options and Fromm Classic would be the next step up in cost.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Victor is a good, reasonably priced food though my GSDs have never cared much for it unfortunately. We are stuck doing the $80 a bag stuff and home cooking here. Between the 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses and 3 chickens we spend more on food on them than ourselves but they are our passion and we don't splurge on anything else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Victor is a good, reasonably priced food though my GSDs have never cared much for it unfortunately. We are stuck doing the $80 a bag stuff and home cooking here. Between the 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 horses and 3 chickens we spend more on food on them than ourselves but they are our passion and we don't splurge on anything else.
We're having good luck with Racheal Ray's Peak grain free food. She no longer constantly itches uncontrollably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts