German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Brand Of Dog Food Do You Personally Feed Your Dogs??

Please Post Pics Too!!
:nerd:**thus far on my GSD fb Groups this is where i am but i want to get this forums opinions aswell**:nerd:

4Health |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Taste Of The Wild ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Grain free from Costco ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Victor ||||||||||||||||||||
Fromm ||||||||||||||||||
Nutro |||||||||||
Wholesomes ||||||||
Pure Balance ||||||||
American Journey |||||||
Blue |||||||
EarthBorn ||||||||
Natural Balance |||||
Rachel Ray |||||||
Sams Club Exceed ||||
Merrick ||||
Royal Canine ||||
Pro Pac |||
Nutrisource |||
Canidae |||
Chicken Soup ||
Natures Domain ||
Iams ||
Authority grain free ||
Advance |
California Natural |
Wellness ||
Overlans |
Whole Earth Farms |
BilJac ||
Natures Recipe |
Best Breed ||
Rayne Whole Food |
Origen |

NOT COUNTING PEDIGREE, OLE ROY, PURINA, DIAMOND (for recall reasons, personal experience with symptoms with foster dogs and ingredients these are not counted sorry)

·
Registered
646 Posts
My wife's parents feed their dogs Costco brand. Their lab mix turned 15yo last month. Their border collie is 5yo

We tried it with our pup and we found that it was giving her problems (thought it was giardia related at the time, but then realized it was probably the dry food). We've switched to Royal Canin and she's been doing better bowel-wise since switching to that

Pic of my pup at 19wks the day before Xmas

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I feed Acana

What is the purpose of this poll?
I want to figure out what would be BEST to feed my GSD's (I have 1 puppy right now and am picking up another on friday, im currently feeding Royal Canine and Wellness... but i imagine If i can narrow it down to like the 5 best brands people use that own gsd's, it would be best to start with those foods...people in regular dog groups say oh read dog food advisor.. you can read that stuff all day but its not going to help you.. unless you have hands on experience with people who actually own GSD's on what works for the breed in specific. As gsd's from my fostering experience are prone to not only allergies but health issues caused by certain foods and what is best for their coat usually resides in their food. :grin2: I want to do what is best for my dogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Down here in Africa, my personally feed fermented maize germ porridge with a cup of milk and an egg. Other days I feed him chicken bones with chicken heads. I have never bought for him industrial feed as they once cause knuckling over on an Africanis dog or had. But my current dog is a 3 month old German Shepherd and 2 Africanis at 4 and a half months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I want to figure out what would be BEST to feed my GSD's (I have 1 puppy right now and am picking up another on friday, im currently feeding Royal Canine and Wellness... but i imagine If i can narrow it down to like the 5 best brands people use that own gsd's, it would be best to start with those foods...people in regular dog groups say oh read dog food advisor.. you can read that stuff all day but its not going to help you.. unless you have hands on experience with people who actually own GSD's on what works for the breed in specific. As gsd's from my fostering experience are prone to not only allergies but health issues caused by certain foods and what is best for their coat usually resides in their food. :grin2: I want to do what is best for my dogs.
What is your personal definition of "Best"???

Cost?

Ingredient Quality?

Company Trust?

Bioavailability of nutrients?

Range of non essential phytonutrients?

Best is really subjective. Some dogs do great on one food and others do horrible on it.

Why limit yourself to just kibble?

Just like how human food goes fresh > frozen > Processed in order of healthiness dog food goes fresh > frozen > dehydrated > canned > kibble.

Your dogs would probably benefit more from you incorporating more whole fresh foods in their diets than anything else.

A lot of the foods on your list I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole due to poor quality ingredients, biologically inappropriate formulas for carnivores, or major company trust issues.

Lots of good foods - kibble and other wise - by great companies that didn't make the cut here.

FWIW I mostly feed a home prepared diet with lots of the stuff coming from the grocery store (cheaper than some kibble out there and not difficult with use of commercial supplements). Meat based with some superfood fruits and veggies.

I do use some commercial products for convenience - base mix products like the honest kitchen or dr. harvey's. Dehydrated raw like Ziwipeak. When my dog has been sick and I need to free feed a dry product for grazing I like the kibble Sportdogfood (One of the few both grain AND legume free ones out there)

I believe variety is key.

Here's a pic of my guy:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Cost?

Ingredient Quality?

Company Trust?

Best is really subjective. Some dogs do great on one food and others do horrible on it.

Just like how human food goes fresh > frozen > Processed in order of healthiness dog food goes fresh > frozen > dehydrated > canned > kibble.

Your dogs would probably benefit more from you incorporating more whole fresh foods in their diets than anything else.

A lot of the foods on your list I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole due to poor quality ingredients, biologically inappropriate formulas for carnivores, or major company trust issues.

Lots of good foods - kibble and other wise - by great companies that didn't make the cut here.

FWIW I mostly feed a home prepared diet with lots of the stuff coming from the grocery store (cheaper than some kibble out there and not difficult with use of commercial supplements). Meat based with some superfood fruits and veggies.

I do use some commercial products for convenience - base mix products like the honest kitchen or dr. harvey's. Dehydrated raw like Ziwipeak. When my dog has been sick and I need to free feed a dry product for grazing I like the kibble Sportdogfood (One of the few both grain AND legume free ones out there)

Here's a pic of my guy:

Honestly Im looking for a DRY FOOD thats $50 and under for a LARGE bag.. ingredients yes are important .. and as most people have preference i would perfer not to do raw. and yes company trust is priority which is why i havent counted purina, diamond or pedigree, ole roy.. )

·
Registered
813 Posts

Cost?

Ingredient Quality?

Company Trust?

Here's a pic of my guy:

Honestly Im looking for a DRY FOOD thats $50 and under for a LARGE bag.. ingredients yes are important .. and as most people have preference i would perfer not to do raw. and yes company trust is priority which is why i havent counted purina, diamond or pedigree, ole roy.. )
We feed American journey food...it is fairly cheap but my dogs do great on it. We have tried Fromm, merrick, natural balance, and the dogs go crazy for this food and their stool is better than ever as well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You have foods manufactured by Diamond in your list though. Taste of the Wild and 4Health both come out of the same plant. Sam's Club Exceed I believe is a rebranded purina product. Merrick is owned and manufactured by Purina. Blue has been at the brunt of lawsuits...

If you are OK with TOTW and 4HEALTH why not Diamond Naturals? Same ingredient sources for much of the foods. Same plant.

I guess I just don't understand the reason for providing a big list of foods that have a huge variability of ingredients and quality levels. Or why you nix some foods but are ok with others by the same manufactures?

What is it your dogs actually need? What proteins do they do best on? What health concerns do they have? What are you trying to improve by switching brands?

Personally, for your price point I'd look at Sport Dog Food or Victor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have foods manufactured by Diamond in your list though. Taste of the Wild and 4Health both come out of the same plant. Sam's Club Exceed I believe is a rebranded purina product. Merrick is owned and manufactured by Purina. Blue has been at the brunt of lawsuits...

If you are OK with TOTW and 4HEALTH why not Diamond Naturals? Same ingredient sources for much of the foods. Same plant.

I guess I just don't understand the reason for providing a big list of foods that have a huge variability of ingredients and quality levels. Or why you nix some foods but are ok with others by the same manufactures?

What is it your dogs actually need? What proteins do they do best on? What health concerns do they have? What are you trying to improve by switching brands?

Personally, for your price point I'd look at Sport Dog Food or Victor.
Ya knw honestly its really about the recalls ive seen from diamond.. :( And its not MY list its again votes for foods from people in my gsd facebook groups.. and im trying to find something better than royal canine.. as the wellness i have mixed with it (was hoping to switch to wellness) the pup doesnt seem to like .. she eats the royal canine and not the wellness untill get gets hungry later in the day... i need to find something good (healthy) that she will like.. i have emailed all the top companies asking if they could send samples of their puppy formulas (large breed if they have them) to see what my two pups will perfer both of them.. as i get my pup friday i imagine any samples i wont be getting for a few weeks.. Is this a better way??

·
Registered
54 Posts
We are big fans of Acana. High quality ingredients mimicking the natural diet of wolves and our dogs have all loved it! Not the cheapest option, but it certainly doesn't break the bank and I don't need to spend extra on supplements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our puppy gets Fromm LBP and our juvenile (he’s 3) gets I and Love and You Red Meat Medly. He loves I and Love and You but it looks like no one else in your pole is using it (too bad, check the ingredients, it’s a quality food). We use Chewy and Petflow for online ordering and to help with cost. Chewy will allow you to try a food and if it isn’t working they will credit the amount back to you so you can try another. Be prepared to have a few quality foods on your list because what works for some may not work for your puppy. I would definitely recommend trying Fromm LBP (large breed puppy) as a quality food at a reasonable price. Victor is what our breeder uses and we transition to Fromm. Victor is good but we found our pups had much smaller stools on Fromm. Victor does cost less and I feel is a great value for a quality food but they don’t have large breed specific foods and to me the larger stool means there is more filler the dog doesn’t need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After reading alot and doing alot of research for a large breed puppy food with the least amount of side effects i think i might do the NutriSource Large Breed Puppy.. i still want ya'lls opinions for when we get off the puppy formulas tho... the fromm seems to be a popular vote. ;)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I used Purina One LArge Breed Puppy now I use Purina One Large Breed Adult. The number one ingredient is chicken. Inga eats it all up with just a little hot water from the faucet, is healthy, lively, shiney and a weight that is to breed standard.

It is interesting to see how someone feeds their dogs in Africa. Thanks for showing that. I wonder do you use wormer for these pups? They must have a terrific parasite exposure there in the tropics.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Just today I am switching from 4health grain free (which mine did fine on) to Native level 3. Menards started carrying it. With the 11% mail in store rebate (which we send in and buy more food items from Menards than hardware stuff) it is cheaper than 4health. It also got a 5 star rating on the site that has excellent dog food review. 4health is rated pretty high for certain formulas. I am feeding my 6 month old GSD and an almost 5 year old Dutch Shepherd. We shall see...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts