German Shepherds Forum banner

Which brand of dog food do you feed you German Shepherd?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to what dog food everyone feeds there GSD and why?
Why did you chose that dog food?
An what to you sets it apart from the other brands?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Orijen... It has some of the best ingredients you will find on the side of a bag of dog food and it's made by a respectable and trustworthy company.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have selected Diamond Naturals. I feed my GSD Diamond naturals Large breed puppy. It has good ingredance (sp?) compare to all the other brands I have found so far that are avalible to us.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
You really listed about the 15 worst dog foods out there and orijen, so of course i chose orijen. There are tons of much better foods out there than the ones you listed. I bet the majority of the people here don't feed any of the foods you listed except maybe kirkland, blue buffalo, and orijen.

There's actually a recent thread we had just like this if you wanted to take a look.

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/diet-nutrition/141051-ultimate-dog-food-poll.html

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sorry. I did my best..... I tried listing a variety so people could actually select there dog food on the list other than choosing other. I don't have anything against your choice of dog food I was just emailing you to let you know it is on the list for you to choose of you would like. =)

·
2,967 Posts
The puppy gets Wellness Large Breed Puppy. He does well on it and I'm comfortable with the ingredient list. He's the second puppy I've raised on Wellness and I've been really pleased with their health and coat condition.

The other 4 adult dogs are on Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. I prefer fish based kibbles for one of my dogs, it's grain free and of good quality. Also feeding four dogs can get expensive. Of the grain free choices in my area, TOTW is the most economical.

·
5,627 Posts
I think what LucyDog was trying to tell you is that most of the members on this site wouldn't feed the majority of foods on your list. Most of them are not quality foods - exception being Orijen, Blue Buffalo and if on a budget Kirkland.

Raven is currently on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon but is switching to TOTW Pacific Stream (which my foster is on) when this bag is done.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay..... Since you are the second person to mention those brand dog foods I am now second guessing the dog food I am feeding. I thought it to be a good brand dog food. So now I am curious to if I am feeding my buddy junk food. Can I get some opinions on these ingredients in this brand of dog food. Rather it is good or bad or what you think of it......

Diamons Naturals Large Breed Puppy Food
Ingredients

Lamb, lamb meal, egg product, cracked pearled barley, millet, ground rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, oatmeal, potatoes, tomato pomace, flaxseed, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, salmon oil (source of DHA), potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I think what LucyDog was trying to tell you is that most of the members on this site wouldn't feed the majority of foods on your list. Most of them are not quality foods - exception being Orijen, Blue Buffalo and if on a budget Kirkland
:) exactly what i meant

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
JUST switched from Holistics Selects to Nature's Variety Prairie, but I like to switch so probably will only stick with this for 3-4 months and then on to the next thing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Acana large breed puppy here.

And for my Border Collie and Sheltie, Orijen senior.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I feed Fromm Gold Adult Large Breed formula

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'll feed Evo until Proctor and Gamble change the formula. Both my dogs do well on it, good poops. I like it because it's grain-free.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'll feed Evo until Proctor and Gamble change the formula. Both my dogs do well on it, good poops. I like it because it's grain-free.
Proctor and Gamble doesn't have to actually change the formula for the quality to go down. For example, the chicken meal can come from china instead of the US and the label would never change, but that's a huge downgrade in terms of ingredient quality. Not saying that's going to happen, but just saying changes can go beyond the ingredient list.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I feed Diamond naturals Chicken and rice. Or Lamb and rice. Its not the best. But its not the worst eather. And my kids are doing well on it. Much better coat and :poop: than when on kibbles and bits or the ocasinal Ol Roy. We are talking about swiching every one but Bella to TOTW and Bella to raw. Sometime next year.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Proctor and Gamble doesn't have to actually change the formula for the quality to go down. For example, the chicken meal can come from china instead of the US and the label would never change, but that's a huge downgrade in terms of ingredient quality. Not saying that's going to happen, but just saying changes can go beyond the ingredient list.
Yeah I know, isn't that depressing?

1 - 20 of 84 Posts