German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this will catch on and we can see where it goes... How did you name your dog and what does it mean to you? Did your dog have a name when you got it? Did you keep that name or did you decide that your dog needed an "Upgrade" to match you? Please list your dogs name, how it got the name and what it means to you?

My dogs full name is Independence, we call her Indi and she arrived at our home with this name already attached. Her name is very appropriate because she is a Service Dog in training and she will give me a huge amount of Independence in my daily affairs. At first I wanted to name my own dog, but when we were presented with this opportunity it was immediately a forgone conclusion that she would be part of our family. She decided immediately that I am her own very special human so we have bonded very deeply already. I would not even consider changing her name now. So how did your dog come by it's name and job in your home?

Wheelchair Bob

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
"Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen" = "Guardian of Hunter from Sportweapon Kennels" more or less. Every once in a while a German speaker will poke fun b/c my dog's name is "Jäger" and mine is "Hunter".
"Katya v. Hugelblick" = "Katherine from Hillview Kennels" more or less

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Every one of my animals that was named by me has been named with a Disney theme. It started when I was young and just continued

Jasmine - Since she was a poodle I decided I would give her a princess name, driving home I was rattling off names in my head trying to find one that fit. I loved Ariel but it wasn't quite right, when Jasmine came up I stopped and thought about it, when I thought of the nickname Jazzy and how she could be jazzed up with haircuts and accessories I picked it then and there. It fits her to a T!

Her job - lap dog. She came from a BYB and is very nervous, smart as a whip and loves obedience and tricks but wouldn't be able to do a class setting so nothing special for her. She's perfectly content with a 10 minute play session and a few bones to chew along with arms to cuddle her. Her favourite thing is when I'm on the couch ready to watch a movie, sometimes I'll make popcorn and we'll sit and watch together and share the popcorn.

Delgado - a dog to have fun and do fun sports with. The only animal that I picked the name out before even meeting him. He was from an L litter, Stalworth is the kennel name; I couldn't find any Disney names that I liked that started with L so I looked elsewhere. Went through a whole ton of website and couldn't figure anything out, finally my coworker suggested Delgado. I didn't know the reference and it turned out to be the GSD character in Beverly Hills Chihuahua. I couldn't get it out of my head and I didn't even want to shorten it, it just clicked that Delgado was the right name. Loker came from a character in the TV show Lie to Me. Delgado’s nickname is Mr. Destructo :D He's a big galoot and doesn't realize his size most of the time but I love him :wub:

His job - After realizing that I wasn't going to be doing anything serious with Jazzy I looked around at different breeds, I had always been fascinated with GSD's and their appearance and reputation but didn't know any good examples of the breed. After finding the forum and doing lots of research I was convinced I would be able to find what I was looking for. My main goal is agility, the downfall is I won't be doing any classes or anything serious until his OFA's at 2 (still 6 months to go!) so we're just working on obedience and having fun right now. I'm also interested in trying Rally as it looks fun! He loves learning; I've never had such a fun dog that will do anything that I can think of. Fun tricks, done! Jump over this tree, done! He'll fetch for hours and will do anything I asked; he's my shadow and protector

·
Registered
123 Posts
Roemly= combination of my dad's name-Robert and my mom's name Emily. Both have passed recently and I think this was a neat way to keep them around :) Hopefully will turn out to be a nice way to honor them as I am training him for SAR.

I'm not usually good with names...my cats are, Little Cat, Mama Cat and Baby Cat :)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Frag was named after the Frag Grenade. My ex whom is Frag's co-owner was interested in enlisting and very into military/war history so we thought up this and it stuck.

I wanted to continue the trend when I adopted my Pit Bull from Animal Control, previously Samson, he was Chernobyl for a while and that got old fast... Never will I give a dog a three syllable name again without an easy short version. We ended up calling him Sir more than anything and that stuck.

Then little Ricky Doobie came along and I knew I wanted him to be named Recon, short for Reconnaissance. He was previously Teddy by the breeder. XD

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Molly - we just liked the name, it is easy to understand and easy to pronounce and easy to remember. Her name has morphed into "Jolly", because she is.

Her job is being our best friend, filling our home with joy, our two cats' buddy, and our first line of protection.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Joey was born Faust von der Graf; was given the name Joseph by my husband's cousin; we kept the name when we adopted him.

I tend to call him Joey; husband calls him Joseph. He answers to both.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Lillian
Her name was Lily when I adopted her. The rescue also had her sister, Rose, but she had already found a home. My ex started calling her Lillian and it stuck. Lillian suits her aristocratic stance and all the airs she puts on.

Jack
Gender: Boy; Origin: English; Meaning: form of John - God is gracious
He came home from the HS with his paperwork saying “No-chip, No-collar.” He was a plain Jane looking dog when I chose him for foster, except that he wasn’t a Jane ;) Jack was short and simple, and I liked the way it sounded with Lillian… playful, Jack and Lil', like Jack and Jill.

Mattie
She’s a plushy. Poor old girl’s leg was literally matted to her body when the HS seized her and I first saw her. Her whole back end was covered in matted, dreadlocked fur. She had a chip, but no associated name on her seizure paperwork, so Mattie it was. I call her Miss Mattie Lynn when she’s rolling her eyes instead of following a pack recall. Old lady sometimes feels she deserves an individual invitation. She probably does ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Our girl is Nova, I wanted a science-themed name and more importantly, a one or two syllable name. Was playing around with star names and writing a list. Hubs liked Supernova, we went to pick her up and now she's our little star that explodes with energy (cheesey, feel free to groan).

She's gonna be a pet, a running dog, but mostly I want to get into agility with her once puppy training classes are over.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
139 Posts
Liv Von Schneiden Fels...registered name kept it and call her Liv it's derived from the Norse name Hilf meaning ...Defence,Protection
the Scandinavian meaning is...Life ...so good all around.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
156 Posts
My dogs name is pretty simple or "boring" but I picked it for a special reason.
Her name was Sandi from the breeder and it just didn't fit her...I had her for almost 2 weeks before I chose a new name for her. I went thru what seemed like a million before I chose Sadie.
My sister in law had recently lost her beloved pit bull to several rattlesnake bites. She had her dog for close to 10 years and thru thick and thin that dog was with her. When my brother and sister in law had their first child their pit took to her like her own and would watch over her so lovingly. This dogs name was Sadie.
I initially thought my new pup needed a tough, unique name since she was going to be large and solid black...and I wanted something to stick to this intimidating dog. Then I said, what about Sadie. It stuck. The only name out of hundreds that stuck. I wanted a good natured, loving, protective, partner in crime and that's what Sadie meant to me :)
My sister in law approved and my Sadie is everything her Sadie was and I couldn't be happier

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Winston Churchill - aka Winnie

Winnie was a foster failure from a litter of puppies I raised. They all got names of famous statesmen - Herbert Hoover, Abe Lincoln, etc.

Nator vom Triton - aka Mauser

When the breeder posted his puppy picture here everyone started calling him the Puffster. I suggested something more manly - like Puffinator. Since he was in her N litter I used Nator as his registered name. My husband and I are both gun enthusiasts for he picked the name Mauser.

Chimane's Spice It Up Piquin - aka Kaynya

Chimane is the kennel name for the breeder where I got my first Chinese Crested. Piquin is my kennel name - it is a small but VERY spicy pepper. I find the breed to be small but very spicy! :) Her call name is Piquina (pronounced Pi-KAY-nya) which means small in Spanish and we shortened it to Kaynya.

Piquins Some Like It Hot - aka Spike

Again - my Kennel name and I use the theme having to do with heat when coming up with a registered name for the dogs. My DH picked Spike as his call name.

The rest of my CC crew are as follows:

Piquins Too Hot To Handle - aka Fuego (Spanish for fire)
Piquins Super Hot - aka Clark (named by his former owner - he is a returned puppy)
Piquins Super Hot Too - aka CJ (Clark Junior - he looked just like his Dad as a baby)
Piquins Wasabi - aka Sabi
Piquins Schezwan Princess - aka Chyna

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My dog's registered name is "Mei" which is part of the word beautiful in Chinese - 美. I study chinese and my chinese name also has Mei as one of it's characters, and my boyfriend is Chinese so I wanted something cultural.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Current and past in no particular order lol:
Cheeko- boy
Dronimoe- famous person
Kiba- fang
Nashoba- wolf
Dakoda- ally/allies
Kaliska (cat, rip)- deer that chases coyotes
Motomo (co-owned with mom)- he who comes first, Chief, king

1 - 20 of 57 Posts