German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious - reading threads in this forum and don't understand what this means. Examples in pictures would be great too!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
east west means,,dog stands/ front feet are not straight they will both be aimed outwards vs straight on.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when your dog is standing his head is facing
the East coast and his rear is facing the West coast. :rolleyes:

Just curious - reading threads in this forum and don't understand what this means. Examples in pictures would be great too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh good, so I can fix Ridley by just turning him around! :D

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Oh my goodness! I checked my dog and he was North / South! Possibly due to him being a LH I suppose..... ;)

·
Banned
5,219 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
As some had mentioned, when a dog is standing facing towards you and their front legs/feet/paws are pointing to the outsides (east and west - left and right).

Stark is "easty-westy" so here is an example:

So far it has never interferred with his ability to work, he trains in schH and agility and we have never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It's really common in young GSDs. You see it a lot at various growth phases when the dog is all gangly and the chest hasn't filled out.

But, I also see it in dogs who don't really have good muscle development. It seems far less common (or it goes away far faster) in dogs who are given lots of exercise and develop good chest/shoulder muscling.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As some had mentioned, when a dog is standing facing towards you and their front legs/feet/paws are pointing to the outsides (east and west - left and right).

Stark is "easty-westy" so here is an example:

So far it has never interferred with his ability to work, he trains in schH and agility and we have never had any issues.
Thanks for the picture! I'll try to post one of Ridley in the next few days - he's almost finished blowing his coat and should be presentable soon! I'm not actually worried about it for Ridley since he is primarily a companion/pet who is providing me with hours of entertainment and joy! . . . I was mainly curious after reading several threads mentioning it.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
It's really common in young GSDs. You see it a lot at various growth phases when the dog is all gangly and the chest hasn't filled out.

But, I also see it in dogs who don't really have good muscle development. It seems far less common (or it goes away far faster) in dogs who are given lots of exercise and develop good chest/shoulder muscling.
I have noticed it getting a lot better as he ages, his chest is just starting to drop and I think he has a little more growing to do so I will be excited to see how much is corrected with age/growth.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have noticed it getting a lot better as he ages, his chest is just starting to drop and I think he has a little more growing to do so I will be excited to see how much is corrected with age/growth.
Interesting . . . Ridley isn't quite a year old (next week!) so I guess his may change too!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Is Ridley neutered yet?

Stark is 22 months old and not neutered and has done most of his growing in the last month or so and I think has a lot more to go. His father started to really fill out around 2-3 years old so I am basing most of my guessing on that plus what his full siblings from the litter before him are like (the non-neutered ones).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No and I don't think I'll have him neutered unless some compelling reason develops. Rennie was spayed and Ridley isn't the slightest bit aggressive. I'll have to ask the breeder how his father developed. I know his dad is about 84 lbs and I'm sure Ridley will be that too. He's still pretty lean but his feet are huge!

·
Registered
489 Posts
When a young dog's ribs "spring" it can correct a east west front.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Stark is 22 months old and not neutered and has done most of his growing in the last month or so and I think has a lot more to go. His father started to really fill out around 2-3 years old so I am basing most of my guessing on that plus what his full siblings from the litter before him are like (the non-neutered ones).

WHAT? Hondo is only 17 months and he is a monster! I thought he was pretty much finished! He is a genetic freak so I can't base on his littermates.....dang...I'm struggling to keep him at 90lbs....and he is really thin.....dang....:shocked:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts