German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
As many know my dogs are older andin the future I would like a dog to participate in dog sports and other things but I really want a dog who I can work w/ as a therapy dog. OK before the outcry . I dont know which way Ill go,(show vs working) or what breed(could be an elkhound ,corgi or heck a pointer but I cant see me w/out one GSD) but Ive met some breeders at shows and checking them out on the net I just wondered what makes a breeder an AKC Breeder of Merit. Im not asking for your opinion on the AKC ,show lines or working lines. Just wondered and tried googling it and obviouly didnt find it. Thanks Maggi

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris. Obviously should have followed that question up w/ the AKC site. For working lines I would assume dogs from the breeders kennel being sucessful in the field ie law enforcement,SAR, or schutzhund. In non AKC events the dog would get some typr of title right?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
There are many different organizations other than AKC that have performance programs where dogs can earn titles, and yes they are real titles. But with this being AKC's program, naturally they are only going to recognize their own titles. So a dog titled in AKC obedience or rally or conformation would count, but a dog titled in UKC obedience or rally or conformation would not, even though the two venues are almost identical it's just the organization running them that is different.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So looking for breeders who have dogs from their kennel who are titled would allow me to look at breeders who participate in non-AKC competition. Thanks. I dont know alot about the different titles except AKC Obedience and Shutzhund. I guess overall I want a breeder whose dogs are titled or are working in a field. Im looking at a breederwhose dogs often are trained as seeing eye dogs and she has alot of therapy dogs from her various litters of pups. Just trying to correct the mistakes I made w/ Daisy by first researching and ocassionally dont know the significance of a title.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts