German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..or what bed do you recommend? Malachi has eaten his bed-go figure. When I had my great dane, I actually ended up using an old full size mattress as his bed (which he loved and which held up nicely-I'd just put different fitted sheets on it). But since I have no extra mattresses laying around these days, I'm wondering what you all use? Obviously, it needs to be durable to withstand my boys' suckling AND gnawing...:blush: suggestions?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sunflowers,
and he enjoys it? he chooses to sleep on it?..sure looks like it!

where did you purchase yours?

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
He sleeps on it, then gets off and sleeps on the tile, then gets back on and sleeps on the Kuranda.:crazy:
Sure seems to me as though he enjoys it.
He still tries to chew the legs. I also have the PVC version, and the legs are seriously gnawed on, full of gashes from his teeth, so I would get the aluminum. The aluminum is full of scratches, but he can't make deep grooves in it. You can actually see his teeth marks, if you look at the first picture.

I got it from Kuranda.com, and got the Great Dane size (first pic) after I got the size they recommended for a German Shepherd, and thought it was too small to be that comfy (second pic).

·
Registered
99 Posts
My jacket, at the moment. It's lined with synthetic fur. I lay it out on an armchair for her.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I buy new el cheapo dog mattresses from Tractor Supply every year ... the Hooligans seem to like them!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Buy a cow mat (used in a cow stall) from a tractor supply type place. This can be cut down to fit in a kennel or can be used on the floor. They are virtually indestructible and are cool to lay on (temperature wise).

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Our dog is not a chewer, but we have this: very sturdy like a mattress

At Dr Foster and Smith - delux orthopedic dog bed

·
Super Moderator
32,040 Posts
I have Kuranda beds in the garage pen, where the dogs go when we're not home. The oldest one is from January 2001, after Cassidy totally shredded her stuffed bed. She was a horrific chewer when young, so we needed something she couldn't destroy. We got a second one for Keefer (we had only one dog at a time up until then, and Dena used Cassidy's old bed), in August 2005. Still have both beds, and while they don't look so pretty anymore they still work and the dogs like them.

We have pads in their crates, where they sleep at night, and the floor is their bed any other time. :)

Gretchen, those are very nice beds - that's the exact one that Cassidy turned into itty bitty pieces, lol. :rofl:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amazon had a huge sale on Baby mattresses. So I got Ollie one for $20. It's 4 inches thick fully waterproof and hypo allergenic with changeable covers and sheets. He loves it and it's easy to move around. There's no stuffing to pull out so he never chews on it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I also have a cot like the kuranda type beds but its a different brand that's cheaper. I have it in the living room and they will lay on it instead of the couch so I guess they like it. I also have this dog bed that has a hard outer shell that comes up the sides like 3-4 inches but has a fleece cover and had a fleece lined pillow in the bottom but they destroyed that part so I just put a piece of a foam mattress topper and a blanket. They destroy stuffing type beds because they think they are toys.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
It doesn't matter. I bring a bed out and she lays on the other side of the room on the floor. I bought mine from TJMaxx for $25. The covers are removable and well made so I can toss the inside when it's wore out and buy new foam.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We tried using an old mattress for Mia but she destroyed it down to the springs! The only type of bed I've found that she won't try to eat is the large, really puffy ones. Her old, tiny puppy one has survived without a single tear, and we just got her a new one. $25 from Big Lots!

Edit: As you can see in the picture, the orange scraps are mattress bits.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Berlin has two awesome blankets my sister made for him. One is made out of really soft ultra cuddle fabric. They go in his crate/one on my bed, but he usually pushes the blanket to the side and lays on the hard part of the crate. Weirdo....I refuse to buy an actual dog bed because berlin is a wonderful little german shredder. He has shredded 3 towels so far that were in his crate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I picked up a kong bed after our pup ruined her first one. It was a quick buy as she needed a new one pronto, but its her crate bed and so far she hasn't chewed it. We'll see what happens when her adult teeth come through!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
in our bedroom there's a dog bed. in the livingroom there's throw rugs
piled on top of each other. oh, i forgot the sofa and our bed is two more of his beds.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts