German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My now 15 week old puppy seems to be doing the ear dance. He has done everything from no ears up, left ear up, right ear up, to both ears up. He seems to have pretty good size ears and all of his siblings have both of their ears up already. I was just wondering if you think his ears will stand or if we may have to help him out a bit.

Here is a little timeline of ears:

12 Weeks, 2 Days:

12 Weeks, 5 Days:

13 Weeks:

14 Weeks:

15 Weeks:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
They'll definitely go up on their own. If they've been up once, they'll go up again. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. We were just getting worried either the cartilage was damaged from rough play or the base was not strong enough.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, his ears have been up for a couple days now, so fingers crossed they stay that way!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wow! Quite the ear dance. All up, all down, and everything in between! Well, good luck with them. Who's the big boy/girl in the last pic? He's/she's a nice looking dog.

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
very large ears. smack dab in the teething stage. i wouldn’t touch them for at least a month (or honestly not at all), and do what you can to keep the heart attacks at bay. nature will ultimately do what she wants.

for what it’s worth, the pic at 14 wks is one of the most adorable ear stages i’ve seen.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Quite the ear dance. All up, all down, and everything in between! Well, good luck with them. Who's the big boy/girl in the last pic? He's/she's a nice looking dog.
That's my 2 year old female, Petra.

very large ears. smack dab in the teething stage. i wouldn’t touch them for at least a month (or honestly not at all), and do what you can to keep the heart attacks at bay. nature will ultimately do what she wants.

for what it’s worth, the pic at 14 wks is one of the most adorable ear stages i’ve seen.
Thanks!

·
Registered
30,905 Posts
If he's ears were up once, fully up and standing like they should, they should go back up. I would give him knuckle bones to chew to work all those muscles. He just has big ears.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My older female had ears up at 12 weeks when I brought her home. They fell down within about a week, and did not come up to stay for good until she was NINE MONTHS!

Sometimes patience is needed. Lots and lots of patience. But rest assured, once up, they WILL come up again!!

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
Sometimes patience is needed. Lots and lots of patience. But rest assured, once up, they WILL come up again!!
I don’t know if one can say so with THAT much certainty... but yes, there is a very good chance.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Fodder, there's always the chance of a serious injury, but barring that, they should come up. And the OP's pup DOES have very large ears, so it's going to take awhile for him to grow into them!

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
Fodder, there's always the chance of a serious injury, but barring that, they should come up. And the OP's pup DOES have very large ears, so it's going to take awhile for him to grow into them!
I agree completely. My point was simply “should” vs “WILL”

all good ;)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
20 week update

One ear has been back up for a few days 😬...

Just waiting for the other one 😱

1 - 16 of 16 Posts