German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...if you recorded the time that you were away and your dogs are crated or left alone?
(Mostly wondering this about people employed full-time out of the home who must leave their dogs alone regularly)

I ask because we've recorded the 4 days that we have had the dogs home and crated sand I'm wondering what to make of what I heard from our new dog, Osa, who came to us with no history of SA or 'neurotic' tendencies.

I was expecting to hear Regen whining, but what we heard was Osa, after she finished her Kong, whining on and off for the first hour on almost all of the days. On one day, she whined on and off for almost three hours. After that, it's completely quiet for the rest of the time (it was about 7.5 hours/day each of the days).

Would you be worried about this, or is it normal for a new dog adjusting to a new home? When we came home, she didn't seem overly anxious or wound up and settled down after exercise and a little bit of clicker work.

My husband thinks that MANY dogs without SA probably whine, but if they aren't tearing things up or showing signs of anxiety when their person is home, nobody ever suspects.

Regen's SA is SO much better than it was before. We only heard her whine/cry/yelp briefly, for about 2 minutes, once she finished her Kong, and that was the only time we heard her on the recording. She is still anxious, but it is nowhere near as bad. She can function after being alone, where previously she was a total wreck after a day alone. We are really hoping that the addition of Osa combined with all of the work we did on counterconditioning in combination with clomipramine means the end of our $300/month daycare craziness.

Now I'm a little paranoid about Osa though...I don't want her to develop issues that she didn't have before! She is a typical Velcro dog, but also loves her crate and readily goes in there for naps or to savor a bone.

I wonder what it would sound like for 'normal' GSDs?

·
Registered
512 Posts
It would probably sound something like this in my house:

Front door closes. Sigh. Whine. Silence.

Two hours later:
Grumble. Silence. Flopping sound. Scratching. Moan. Snort. Silence.

Two hours later:
Grumble. Silence. Barking at UPS man. Silence. Grumble. Sigh. Silence.

Front door opens. Furious tail thumping on sides of crate.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have actually video tapped Stark when he was younger and all he did was sleep, get up, whine, jump on my bed and ruffle the comforters then found another spot to sleep.

I will try to get the video and show you the part where he jumped on my bed.. it's quite funny. ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to see the video!

I'm curious about what others think they would hear...I think a lot of people would be surprised!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the whining at all, since she is calm when you get home, and hasn't destroyed her crate, I would say it's pretty normal,,there are ALOT of whiney german shepherds LOL..

I know what would be going on at my house..Jag would be in his crate, po'd but quiet unless someone was outside around,,Masi and Jynx who are loose are most likely harrassing the squirrels in the window feeder, or konked out:))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts