German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my brothers dog Lumen and people keep asking him what he is mixed with, but we aren't entirely sure. He got him from a shelter so we don't have any reliable source. We are pretty sure he's at least mixed with German Shepherd and has a reverse mask. He is eventually going to be getting a DNA test but for now we're curious on other people's opinions. So please tell us your thoughts!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I immediately thought Cattle Dog. Does he lack a tail?

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
I thought cattle dog too, even if he has a tail (especially since ACD also should). Maybe Malinois (even in place of GSD).

He’s a really awesome looking dog tho. My type... I like him a lot. Is he on the smaller size?

I don’t think his breeding was an accident.... looks like a ranch dog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He has a huge fluffy tail, and he's actually on the larger side. He's about 80lbs, same size as my own shepherd. And he actually has more of snow shoe paws and he tends to wander off. Also has no prey drive at all.. Which is kind of strange. He does have amber eyes. So I don't know.. I don't think it's cattle dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Great dog! I can't tell what he is mixed with--herding breeds, I'd guess, with a little husky thrown in...maybe? He is definitely handsome.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Wow, agreed, sounds like we were way off. Maybe a bit of something in the stock guardian breed direction then.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Its a good looking pair.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a better picture to show his tail and his size. Hopefully it helps lol. But he can be very protective! Also he has a black dot on his tongue.. I know there's been a debate on that meaning purebred or mixed.. I really am not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
I donno, haha

From that last photo he looks just like a GSD. Maskless and perhaps sable (you'll have to look at the guard hairs for the color banding.)

Most of the pictures are not from the best angle. ACDs and GSDs look a lot alike depending on the angle so I would have thought ACD from the first picture.

GSDs can have black on the tongue. Hear it is a sign of intelligence. And seeing as Miika is over the top smart and has a lot of black on her tongue… ;^D

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
^ interesting, I think he looks full GSD in all except the last pic. If GSD, then he is sable... unless his coloring comes from another breed. I’m still quite stumped...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah that's one of the ideas I had.. My brother is skeptical about a bunch of the ideas I had brought up so a DNA test would be the best thing for him to know for sure! Thanks guys for the ideas ?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Reminds me a lot of my darker sable collie/GSD mix. He came from a farm, and is 1/2 collie, 3/8 GSD, 1/8 border collie. Yours appears to have more GSD than mine. I've met lots of people who've had "shollies" (collie/GSD), and all thought they were great dogs. (Mine is fearful - probably the reason he was dumped - but is otherwise a smart, healthy, well mannered boy, and still athletic at 12 yoa.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts