German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a chance I may decide to breed my female in the next year or so, (she's a UKC/Intl CH, OFA good hips, CGC, herding tested and TC and TT and is now working in schutzhund). This is a stud that I've been considering and he's close by. I like the fact that he's a bit "old fashioned" and so correct to the standard. What do you think of him?

http://www.lenlorshepherds.com/maxpics.html

I'm not concerned, on this particular thread, at seeing if he's a good complimentary match for my dog, just would like to hear opinions on his good and bad overall conformation, pedigree and breed type.

He's 7 or 8 years old now so I hope he's around still when or if I decide to breed Kyra.

I really like this dog.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
I like his color and he has a nice masculine head. I don't like his front legs and I prefer a little less angulation.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want to hear, can you elaborate on those statements?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pasterns too low? I would agree there.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: DeltaPasterns too low? I would agree there.
Yep.

I also like males to look like MALES. Too many of the Am showline dogs have terrible heads. More along the lines of a Collie than a GSD. Though I will say they are getting much better than they were 20+ years ago.

As far as the angulation goes, I am not a fan of the SUPER angulated look. (Which seems most prevelant in the GSDs that do well at specialty shows.)

I prefer the look of this dog. Granted this dog was born in 1981, but I still like his build.

CH Regal Son of Woodside

I like this one too.

1991 GV CH (US) Woodside Nestlequik Merwestyn

But I DON'T like the angulation on his dam.

I also like a BLACK and TAN dog. Not one that is TAN with a small black mask and saddle like this dog:

Reno

·
Registered
932 Posts
He is nice, good build and color, nice bone just his pastern is low but so is my male, he has a nice stack to him as well, he is related to my male on his sire's side only. He looks like one of the better american showline dogs out there I have seen some that I just shake my head at and there are a few others that to me stand out and this one is one of them IMO.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes.....I don't like the extreme angulation and hock walking. This guy actually seems to be less angulated than so many other dogs I see out there. Without the stack I think he'd have a rather level back, and I doubt he walks on his hocks.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
He is a handsome dog. His pasterns could be stronger, and he could have a longer upper arm. Many of his progeny also seem to have a shorter upper arm. He does have nice color and bone, with a plush coat.

Many of the dogs in his pedigree lived nice long lives, and several have training titles -- something that is not common in American Show lines.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Daphne, thanks for that info. Longevity and working abililty are VERY important to me. How did you know their lifespans? Just familiar with those lines?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His progeny page is full of pups from local show breeders. I've seen dogs from their lines at the local shows who are really extreme and of questionable soundness. With a more moderate female, I bet he'd throw some nice pups.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His progeny page is full of pups from local show breeders. I've seen dogs from their lines at the local shows who are really extreme and of questionable soundness. With a more moderate female, I bet he'd throw some nice pups.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I like him, I like his lines and like Daphne see the value in the dogs behind him. The dog is an American and Canadian Champion as well as an AOE award dog. He is OFAed, has his temperament test done and a CD.

I like his conformation, his wonderful plush coat and coloring. He has great bone greay muscle development, chest and proportion.

IMO this dog has A LOT to offer your girl and I would definitely consider him for a breeding.

Cherri

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
Quote:How did you know their lifespans? Just familiar with those lines?
Years of research mostly. I have been involved with the German Shepherd breed for over 40 years. I have been a member of the GSDSCA for24 years, and have the GSD Reviews to prove it!

If you look at the GSDCA page under 'Breed Info' you will find a section called the GSD Reviewed. There are photos and pedigrees of many of the dogs in his pedigree. And since he is a Select dog, you will probably find him in there as well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like this dog, he is masculine, and has a pleasing structure. His father is still alive and producing, I know a number of his offspring and they are sound, nice dogs. Both have produced blacks as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Daphne, thanks for that info. I found him in that database. Seems he moves very well and has good size and proportions. Nice to hear.

Glad so many here like him. I emailed his owners for a bit more info. I hope to get to see him soon.

Cherri.....
Quote: IMO this dog has A LOT to offer your girl and I would definitely consider him for a breeding.
Do you remember my dog in particular or was this meant in general?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Scarlett, do you know of any of those pups you've seen being on the net? I'd love to see pups other than the ones on their site. And it's really great to hear they are sound and nice. That's what I'd want to breed for.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Originally Posted By: Delta
Cherri.....
Quote: IMO this dog has A LOT to offer your girl and I would definitely consider him for a breeding.
Do you remember my dog in particular or was this meant in general?
In General

Cherri

1 - 18 of 18 Posts