German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning - Nupro Hip/joint & immunity Supplement gravy onto kibble (1/2 there recommended food from orijen red meat formula)

Lunch - Hollistic Select wet food 1/2 can each (1 can total between both dogs)

Supper- kibble ( other 1/2 there daily recommended food)- Orijen Red Meat formula

No problems with the dogs, both very beautiful coats. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Wet food? If they can tolerate it, good. Fiona gets the runs. If they are not overweight and you can see or feel their ribs, you are doing good.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
852 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why are you feeding them lunch if they get the recommended amount of food through breakfast and dinner?

I think the quality of food sounds good, but I never feed wet food. I know there is debate about whether or not wet food is bad for the teeth, but it makes sense to me that dry food would clean the teeth and wet food wouldn't. I'm not saying you shouldn't give your dog the wet food, just that I wouldn't.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think free feeding is best.

Let your dogs eat when they want and if its good quality food - without cheap fillers, they will be satisfied on a small portion because its nutritious enough for them.

Healthy dogs won't overeat and proper exercise will keep them in top form.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would have to disagree with the free feeding. It is the number one cause of pet obesity in America. I know it is the old fashioned way of doing it, heck, some of my own family members still do it - and all their dogs and cats are obese and slowly dying from it.

·
5,627 Posts

Let your dogs eat when they want and if its good quality food - without cheap fillers, they will be satisfied on a small portion because its nutritious enough for them.

No to the free feeding. Not only does it interfere with having a regular potty schedule, not all dogs know when to stop.

Two of my dogs are completely healthy and eat a good quality food but they will also eat themselves sick if they can - and one of them has. Food is locked out of reach.

Schedule seems fine but I agree that the wet food is unnecessary and the dry should be cut back if you are going to continue with it.

·
Registered
31,698 Posts
Agree on the no free feeding. Our Boxers would eat until they burst. If you are going to feed the wet food, cut back on the dry so they are getting the proper amount of calories for age and activity.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts

Completely disagree. Every GSD I have had has over the top food drive - if they had the option to free feed, they would eat until they bloated. I am very very against free feeding - it is not a good idea 95% of the time and not a feasible option when you have multiples.

Free feeding encourages picky eaters, cuts into food drive, higher chance of obesity, makes training with food harder, higher likelihood of irregular elimination schedules, food does not come from you - it is too easy for the dog, food should be an event for a dog - free feeding takes away a huge event in the dog's day - imo cuts into overall drive and anticipation....

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Plus with scheduled feeding you can control not running your dog on a full stomach. Anytime I have had a dog NOT dive into their food ready to wolf it down....Something has been wrong.... Bad wrong and it is a great early indicator in my house.

The few times mine have gotten into a bag of food or stolen food.....They have consumed massive quantities requiring gas-x, being grateful for the runs afterwards, and me pacing back and forth - Not had bloat but it always freaked me so I am very careful with food access.

I also soak my food which requires it to be eaten quickly.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I also disagree with the free feeding. Joey would eat until he exploded.

I agree that food should be an event for a dog. I take care of Joey's evening feeding, and I love seeing him do his "dance" when I bring in his bowl.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
Morning - Nupro Hip/joint & immunity Supplement gravy onto kibble (1/2 there recommended food from orijen red meat formula)

Lunch - Hollistic Select wet food 1/2 can each (1 can total between both dogs)

Supper- kibble ( other 1/2 there daily recommended food)- Orijen Red Meat formula

No problems with the dogs, both very beautiful coats. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

What we think is hardly important. You have the dogs, they are your dogs, you can see and evaluate their coat, condition and poop.

But since you asked, if you are feeding an excellent food that is costing an arm and a leg, why do you have to supplement, and why do you have to give them wet food of another brand in the middle?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why are you feeding them lunch if they get the recommended amount of food through breakfast and dinner?

I think the quality of food sounds good, but I never feed wet food. I know there is debate about whether or not wet food is bad for the teeth, but it makes sense to me that dry food would clean the teeth and wet food wouldn't. I'm not saying you shouldn't give your dog the wet food, just that I wouldn't.
Dry food does not clean teeth. That is complete myth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts