German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously none of you are vets, and I already have a vet appointment scheduled to look at Frag's leg.
Two or three days ago he came inside from going potty and I thought I saw a very slight limp on his back right leg. I watched him like a hawk and didn't see it again. Last night he came out of his cage after a nap and was limping MUCH more noticeably on the same leg. We thought perhaps it fell asleep because he lays on that side a lot and my other dogs' leg used to do the same thing. Today he will not put much weight on it, but goes back and forth from walking normal/standing without weight to walking normal/standing normal and walking bad/standing bad. He's been getting out more doing more training in the stores and hasn't had an issue there, but I don't know if maybe he bumped into something (a shelf, etc) at the store and got a bruise/bump? He's not really showing any signs of pain otherwise; I rubbed him down last night and he didn't protest one bit, he's still laying on that hip/leg while he sleeps/lays. I just don't know what could have caused a different injury such as a tendon or muscle injury. He still runs around and acts the same, though he is getting onto the couch more. I don't know if that's a coincidence or it feels better up there. He didn't jump into the car yesterday though either, he crawled in with his front legs. Could have been from a general injury to his leg though too, couldn't it?

Just looking for thoughts/ideas from others. I know about a lot of the symptoms of HD and he doesn't seem to have many (other than the limp and not jumping NOW) but it is obviously an apparent concern with his breed and size. What symptoms did your HD dogs exhibit?

If the vet requests x-rays (Which she probably will) I don't know if I'll have time to take him back to the vet in our hometown who is much cheaper for them, or have our new vet take them while he's under for his neuter. Either way, sounds like we'll be spending a LOT more money than I planned. :whoo:

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Could be a bunch of things. HD is obviously a possibility, but you won't know until you see the x-rays. Get the x-rays done and go from there.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
How old is he? Could be pano. As you said we aren't vets so we shouldn't guess.
As for spending a lot more than you thought you would, I expect most of us have been there.
I sure have.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My dog has a slight limp and drags his rear feet and has no HD, OFA Good. HD was the first thing I ruled out because it's the easiest, someone who knows how to position and read the films can immediately rule it in/out so it makes sense to start there, but it could be one of several dozen things or nothing.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
could also be a cruciate /knee problem, if your going to xray, I'd do the whole nine yards while he's out,,always good to have the big picture so you can refer to them if anything pops up in the future, hope it's "nothing"

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Rosa would get lamer with the more exercise she had. So if she spent more than a few hours racing around, she would limp that afternoon and evening. By the next day or possibly two days, the limp would be gone (during which time we restricted her exercise).

What sets her apart from your dog is that she definitely had pain when we would manipulate her back legs. Especially if she were laying on her side, and we lifted her back leg to dry off her belly, she would yip and pull away. But her hips are/were horrible, and maybe Frag isn't as bad, IF it's HD. Hopefully it's not.

Cross my fingers for you. I'm sure you have a bit saved back for emergencies, and hey, it's only money.:)

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How old is he? Could be pano. As you said we aren't vets so we shouldn't guess.
As for spending a lot more than you thought you would, I expect most of us have been there.
I sure have.
He's 14 months right now. Do you have any links to good articles about pano? I'm not familiar.

could also be a cruciate /knee problem, if your going to xray, I'd do the whole nine yards while he's out,,always good to have the big picture so you can refer to them if anything pops up in the future, hope it's "nothing"
When you say whole nine yards, are we talking hips/legs/elbows or a full body x-ray?

Cross my fingers for you. I'm sure you have a bit saved back for emergencies, and hey, it's only money.:)
Thank you. Yeah, Frag has his own little bank account, but if it is HD I know it won't be enough long term, but it is enough for the time being which I'm grateful for.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I always do xrays if my dog has to be knocked out for something else,,I do hips, knees, elbows, spine and shoulders. Gives me a good idea of what is going on structurally, and if I have a problem in the future it's something to compare to..

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
I would have him x-ray'd but due to his age, Panosteitis is my guess...of course I am not a vet.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always do xrays if my dog has to be knocked out for something else,,I do hips, knees, elbows, spine and shoulders. Gives me a good idea of what is going on structurally, and if I have a problem in the future it's something to compare to..
Do you mind if I ask how much the xrays usually cost you? I know I have the money to get it all taken care of, and I know it varies by vet, but I'd just like to know what prices I'm looking at to mentally prepare myself for the hurt wallet. ;)

I would have him x-ray'd but due to his age, Panosteitis is my guess...of course I am not a vet.
I read up a bit about Pano after the few suggestions about it here and it does seem to be more likely. I know you're not a vet, but I do appreciate your input which promted me to look it up.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
DJ, if you contact Dr. Mos Mostosky http://www.24kgsd.com/about.html you will get proper positioning and he can read the films with out having them sent off for an Ortho to do it(as most vets do) He is the one I would have, you are lucky to be so close to him and his prices are very reasonable...prelim hip/elbows are less than $150.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DJ, if you contact Dr. Mos Mostosky Alta-Tollhaus German Shepherd Dogs you will get proper positioning and he can read the films with out having them sent off for an Ortho to do it(as most vets do) He is the one I would have, you are lucky to be so close to him and his prices are very reasonable...prelim hip/elbows are less than $150.
Oh, yeah, I forgot he was so close! I will have to get in contact with him.

What do you mean by proper positioning?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Many vets do not position the dog correctly for x-rays. Onyx was xray'd by my vet(that my family had used for 30 years) when she was completely sedated. She was in there for a spay and I asked the tech to check a foot pad for splinter as she was limping. When I called to check on her the vet told me she had severe HD, he took it upon himself to xray her hips and never even called to ask me. So I was beside myself when I got that news.
I went in and took a pic of her xray, posted it here and lo and behold the positioning was soo off, he should have had his license taken away! I wonder how many other dogs he misdiagnosed over his 40+ yr career. The other vets would have nothing to do with my situation as the one that did it was the owner of the practice. Lucky for me, Onyx only had Pano...here is her xray( everything is so out of position):

And Karlo's positioning from Dr. Mos(these were taken on my sliding door, not the lightbox, so the quality looks off:

Can you see the chicken bone in his tummy?

·
Registered
668 Posts
X-rays for us were $120.00 of elbows and hips. I don't know if that's considered inexpensive or not. I've never seen my dog limp at all except when she ripped open the side of her thigh on a friends towing trailer. The first signs hubby recalls seeing of HD was when she gets up on the sofa to sleep (even though she's not allowed). She puts her front legs up then she can barely lift up her back legs enough to get the paw on the soft to push herself up. So, sometimes she will fall backwards. :( She also stretches out her read end every 30 minutes. She won't chase after toys thrown upstairs or downstairs even though she LOVES fetch. She gets up very slowly. She has almost no muscle tone on her thighs. It's all toned up on the front. Really hope there's no HD on your dog. It beyond sucks. Majorly.

I've got the x-ray pictures of my dog's severe HD and can post them if needed.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jane; So does Dr. Mos have his own clinic in marshall, or some sort of set up at their house? That is a good price and a good incentive (being him, and reading the films) to go with him, I'm mostly worried about re-sedating so soon after Frag's neuter.

Haha, I do see the chicken bone in Karlo's tummy! There is a remarkable difference between Onyx and Karlo's xrays. Jeez.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Mos has a clinic at the house property (not in the house). They have a large building which is setup as a training center but also has a separate space where Mos does the x-rays. If you ever need OFAs or a-stamps, I'd go there because they have all the paperwork and are familiar with the procedure. I even got my OFA films returned to me.

For something diagnostic, I would definitely call Mos if you are within an hour or two. His price is also very good, most vets in Grand Rapids are more expensive and don't really know what they are doing.

Nikon was sedated by the vet for x-rays and then sedated two weeks later for Mos' set.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
when I had masi spayed I did all the xrays I mentioned and xrays alone were around 100 bucks extra..I then went back for ofa xrays and paid around 120..

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For something diagnostic, I would definitely call Mos if you are within an hour or two. His price is also very good, most vets in Grand Rapids are more expensive and don't really know what they are doing.

Nikon was sedated by the vet for x-rays and then sedated two weeks later for Mos' set.
He's less than an hour from me, so I definitely will be.

Nikon had no issues/worries being sedated so much/so close?

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
X-rays for us were $120.00 of elbows and hips. I don't know if that's considered inexpensive or not. I've never seen my dog limp at all except when she ripped open the side of her thigh on a friends towing trailer. The first signs hubby recalls seeing of HD was when she gets up on the sofa to sleep (even though she's not allowed). She puts her front legs up then she can barely lift up her back legs enough to get the paw on the soft to push herself up. So, sometimes she will fall backwards. :( She also stretches out her read end every 30 minutes. She won't chase after toys thrown upstairs or downstairs even though she LOVES fetch. She gets up very slowly. She has almost no muscle tone on her thighs. It's all toned up on the front. Really hope there's no HD on your dog. It beyond sucks. Majorly.
Rafi had all of these symptoms when I adopted him but is now doing great. What kind of food and supplements do you have your dog on?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts