German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
The left hip is definitely bad. :(

I don't think they would pass OFA.
The right one sits a bit shallow too, but nothing that would cause me concern.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Neither hip is good. It's not labeled so not sure which is which. But going on the view as I look at it,

On the right, very thickened femoral neck, only about 20% coverage, shallow socket.

On the left, thickened femoral neck, only about 35% coverage, but a better socket.

Won't pass OFA. Probably get a moderate HD. But that's a guess. Sometimes the OFA surprises me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the left side of the screen is the right hip, on the right side of the screen is the left hip.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Hips are crooked so cant give a great evaluation. Obvious dysplasia, worse on the dog's left. Very little definition on the femoral heads shows osteoarthritis on the femoral neck and decent buildup in the joint capsules - more so on the left hip. I would expect this dog to show at east some clinical signs of hip pain. If not already started I would do supplements - dasaquin along with fish oil

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will give a bit more info since more people have commented. This is my two year old dog. We knew he had HD, the film was taken just to see how bad it is, not to send into OFA.

He is on fish oil, glucosamine, and vitamin C. His left leg is obviously worse than his right. He is going to be doing laser therapy while I try and figure out if I want to do surgery or not :(

Do you think his left hip would be rated mild, moderate, or severe?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts