German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I can speak to his puppy videos and basic obedience vids, I found them quite helpful especially when you can contact him thru emails with questions and research his forum. He and his associate have years of practical experience in breeding care and training. He (and mods) runs a tight ship on his forum and his website is a boon of dog training/care information

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I originally stumbled onto the Leerburg website when I was doing research on the prong collar after having a foster dog who was really hard to handle and having had the prong collar recommended to me as a training tool. I wanted to know more about how it's used and what people had to say before deciding to get one, and the Leerburg site is one of the first who came up.

I think there is a lot of really good information on the site, based on his experience working and owning dogs. There is some information that I don't agree with, such as not letting other people pet your dog, but a lot that I've found very useful over the years. I frequently point people to the article on the prong collar and the articles on ground work and dog parks.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I don't think much of Ed hiimself and find some of his opinions very extreme, but I like his dog training. It's not that much different from I have done in the past and it complements it. His training has a lot of marker training in it and when done correctly, it works very well while maintaining the dog's attitude. I highly recommend his videos.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I have had a lot of contact with Leerburg, as I have one of Ed's dogs who I cannot be happier with as well as order equipment and other things form them. Ed has been nothing but helpful to me, providing me with all the support I could want before and after I purchased my puppy. He has endorsed and referred people to my Schutzhund club, and the his facility is quite impressive. I don't have anything but good things to say about the experiences I have had with Leerburg as a whole. As far as the training DVD's and articles, they are very good tools. I agree with much that's on his site, and I choose to not use some of what's on his site. It's a great resource, but just as with ANY trainer or methodology - there is no "recipe" for dog training. Every dog is different.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
There's alot of good info on his site and I like that a bunch of his teaching articles are free and available to read on his site.

He also has a forum similiar to this one so you can post questions. Just another resource to go to for learning, and then use your common sense when it comes to your situation and your dog.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I love his site. The articles are very extensive and informative.

His video's are great, but he does have one of those monotone voices that can put you to sleep.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I like his site; especially his advice for cat owners with dogs. Whenever someone is having trouble with their dog chasing their cat I'll advise this site.
I like to train and maintain things on a purely positive basis (marker/clicker training), but for what I call basic safety (down, come, leave-it) I'll use corrections to proof. His advice on how to gage the level of correction is a good read. Most sites won't tell you this, as they either have philosophical objections to use of any corrections, or they simply assume people are too ignorant and will abuse the dog based on the advice. Leerburg is harsh, no-nonsense and honest in his advice. You need to use your own judgement in how and when to use. Read his stuff, read the clicker training sites, and you'll be well on your way to making informed decisions in dog training.

·
Registered
772 Posts
A friend of mine is a trainer for the Police K9 unit. Prior to that he bred Rotties and showed them. During a discussion we were having the other day with a new puppy owner (non-GSD or PSD), the Leerburg videos and the website came up. He highly recommended them.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I like his articles and agree with most of what he says, not everything, but enough. I haven't had the opportunity to see any of his videos. What I confess I don't like is the constant self reference. I know he owns a business and that is his ultimate goal but it can become tiring after a while and makes me take his words with a bit of precaution. Does he want to offer information and advice or does he want to hook me to sell me a video?

Anyway I plan to sign up on his forum one of this days. I love this forum, but sometimes is good to have advice of people who is more workings dog oriented than pets.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I'm not a fan of either Mr. Frawley or his training.

****** removed by Admin****

He was a reserve (meaning part time) police officer. He purchased a narcotics dog that had been pretrained and used that dog to assist his local PD with narcotics searches. He was not a full time paid police officer.

*****removed by Admin****

**Please keep negative comments in private. You may post that you do not aggree, but then ask people to contact you in private.

thank you,

Admin****

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Well, I was going to stay out of this one but I'll chime in.

I cannot comment on the videos because I have never seen one. I will say that some of the links have good advice like the one on cat/dog introductions But I think this guy himself is one of the scariest people out there, dog-wise. The advice he gives people and the discussions that go on over there chill me to the bone. I absolutely disagree with stringing a dog up (something he advocates as a last resort but which a lot of people take to heart and use with their dogs) and he often tells people to euthanize young dogs with aggression issues.

I could go on and on but he drives me around the bend so leave it at that!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've noticed the negatives on the Leerburg site as discussed, but we are all responsible to use common sense and critical thinking when reading 'free' advice given on the web. Reading between the lines, making judgements when attitude is present, etc.. Leerburg's site is a good place to practice this. And I'm serious. I've read all sorts of things over there, somethings that are scary, some things that are very useful.
We are responsible for our dogs, and the more information the better. Since I nearly lost my favourite cat based on a purely positive trainers advice, I learned early on never to take any advice without question regardless of their so-called expertise real or imagined.
I also had a trainer with e-collar certificates up the wazoo (genuine big name franchise) make my dog scream and crawl up the leash. (another time I made the mistake of trusting an expert).
Read, read, read, and think, think, think. There are useful articles over at Leerburg, but do keep your critical thinking cap on, and absolutely educate yourself on purely positive/clicker training sites while you're at it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Quote:Read, read, read, and think, think, think. There are useful articles over at Leerburg, but do keep your critical thinking cap on, and absolutely educate yourself on purely positive/clicker training sites while you're at it.
Isn't that the truth!!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
IMHO, the Leerburg site does have some helpful articles such as how to handle a multiple dog household or acclimate dogs and cats living together as well as some decent videos and some not so decent ones. As far as obedience, I prefer the Ivan videos.

He has bred quite a large amount of GSD litters and IMHO as far as his expertise as a breeder, he does not title his bitches, nor has he (please correct me if I am wrong) SchH titled a dog. So to me, as far as the sport is concerned he is no expert and if he does not title his breeding females how can he prove they are breed-worthy. I don't think he is active in any dog sport either. Please correct me if I am wrong..

I will say one thing about him though...he is an expert at marketing.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I did buy one video from Leerburg on tracking and it was not worth 1 penny. ***** removed by Admin. Please, no personal attacks.******

1 - 20 of 63 Posts