German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Looks like a dog who's had the :censored: beat out of him one too many times. In both dogs I see appeasement and stress at first. In the second dog, I see that stress turning into fight or flight mode with an agonistic pucker, lip licking, looking away, wagging tail, and the dog is cornered. I don't have a ton of experience around Labs so I can't tell if the commissures are forward or back, but if that dog closed his commissures any more, I'd be getting my face outta there! This looks like a dog that could snap at any moment.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Don't know why but I have a hard time watching video's like this. There also seems to be alot of "shaming" dog pictures floating around right now with what owners think are funny captions. One dog was cowering in the bathtub, the owner snapped the picture, said the dog was caught in the trashcan.

I guess it makes me feel bad for the dog.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I started to watch it but it locked up my computer -- probably this old laptop's fault. But I saw enough in about 22 seconds. I see an elderly labrador who is getting shamed for something stupid.

I hate this sort of thing. The dog is left loose with a bag of treats within his scope of vision, olfactory, etc, and the dog is not dead. It gets into it. This is where the ole newspaper should come out and the owner ought to wack himself on the head a few dozen times for leaving something available that shouldn't have been.

But they insist that their dog is trained. Fine. I have a trained seven year old dog that stole some egg shells out of the garbage the other day. I did not catch her in the act (that time) so I just cleaned it up and left her be.

When you get home from work and find some evidence that a sin has been committed by the dog while you weren't home, just clean it up, and maybe kick yourself for giving the dog the free-run of the house too soon, or for leaving something out that the dog is going to want. They are only dogs for heaven's sake.

Ok, if you catch the dog counter surfing or digging in the garbage, correct them, verbally, scruff them, give them a pop on the old prong collar if you must, give them the hairy eye ball, whatever floats your boat. But it is totally useless to go ape - shtuff on dog hours after the fact for something you set up.

For the couple of seconds I saw of the dog, it looked like a dog that was accustomed to the owner acting nutzo sometimes when he comes home. winking, licking the lips, not coming to greet the owner, but staying in a down position.

I just hate people. They think this crap is funny.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a dog who's had the :censored: beat out of him one too many times. In both dogs I see appeasement and stress at first. In the second dog, I see that stress turning into fight or flight mode with an agonistic pucker, lip licking, looking away, wagging tail, and the dog is cornered. I don't have a ton of experience around Labs so I can't tell if the commissures are forward or back, but if that dog closed his commissures any more, I'd be getting my face outta there! This looks like a dog that could snap at any moment.
Yeah, all I see is avoidance but not a guilty dog...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Why would he want to psychologically mess with his dog like that, makes no sense. The guy is ignorant if he thinks the dog has a clue what he's going on about.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not inclined to be so harsh on this quy. My old girl Troi had an overdeveloped sensitivity and would act very similar to this dog when she did something that she felt was wrong. I never hit her or yelled at her for getting into stuff that I was stupid enough to leave out (liver treats/pupperoni). It was only the really high value stuff that Troi would treat herself to and she would act so ashamed of herself that it was comical. She developed this behavior as a senior and I wonder if she did feel some sort of guilt after years of training as though she'd internalized our rules.

I probably wouldn't have videoed it. I usually had to jolly her out of it and reassure her that it was my fault for forgetting that she has to eat all the liver treats if it's possible.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
That's Babs. She's seven, almost eight and has never dug in the garbage before. But the egg shell just must have been tempting. I waited a few days and then gave her her own hard boiled egg last night. I don't know if she looked ashamed of herself, it's not like I really trained her to stay out of the trash. I don't know where she got her manners from, really. I've had her her whole life, but she just seems to know what I want. And for years and years, she would always wait for me to give her whatever I wanted to give her. She never helped herself.

Ah, but maybe as she gets older she is realizing that the opportunities are limited or something. Or maybe her body is lacking something, and cravings are setting in. Hard to tell. But I wouldn't go and make an ordeal over anything after the fact.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
With Troi, I had become a bit careless about leaving stuff within reach because she didn't get into anything for years. Some temptations were just too great.
It was very nice of you to give Babs her own egg.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Here is a very short clip of a video that was taken of my golden after he ate part of the trim on the door. This is the only thing that this dog has ever done that would be considered bad, he doesn't like it when anyone is mad at him. I can guarantee that he has never been spanked for anything and we know it was our fault and it was an easy fix, well actually the man talking in the video's fault. He was home when the dog did it:rolleyes:

Tannor after he chewed the wall... - YouTube

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Ah, yes, Denver. That submissive grin. I've seen that video before.

So sad that so many people have dogs, but so few actually bother to do some reading so they might understand them. :(

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Lab myself and she is a very submissive dog, does this even when she has/has not done anything wrong. From my experience, I have never seen any dominant Labs in my life yet.. though i'm sure there is ones who are more or less submissive than others.

Judging by the way the Lab was keeping it's eyes closed and "grinning" at him, shows that the dog was clearly being submissive and not confrontational whatsoever. I'd be worried if I saw the dog starring with an direct glare, no blinking though.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I don't think that dog has been hit or beat at all. Even the way the guy was talking to him was still gentle. People take this stuff to seriously. One day they probably came home to him having gotten into something and discovered he made a funny face when he thinks your mad at him. The dog will be fine.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I see two senior older dogs that look like its nap time. The second, "guilty" one probably got drugged on the catnip in the cat treats, he looks sleepy or drugged to me. I've seen this a long time ago, and did not find it too funny back then, just a couple oldies hanging out.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is a very short clip of a video that was taken of my golden after he ate part of the trim on the door. This is the only thing that this dog has ever done that would be considered bad, he doesn't like it when anyone is mad at him. I can guarantee that he has never been spanked for anything and we know it was our fault and it was an easy fix, well actually the man talking in the video's fault. He was home when the dog did it:rolleyes:

Tannor after he chewed the wall... - YouTube
He is giving clear calming signals.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
that people would do that , the dog is trying to avoid and the guy keeps antagonizing . NOT guilt though . In fact that bite mark in the bag did not even look real. The whole thing looked staged . At the expense of the dogs.

Tannor would have had the same reaction if you used your same tone of voice and persistence if you used different words , like Tannor do you want a cookie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts