German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, My sister was building a fence in her yard, and I brought my dog along with me (who was 8 months), so I was unfamiliar with her new neighbors. As was my sister. So there my dog is laying down next to me while my sister and I are holding up and nailing in the boards to the fence when this little girl who looked like the size of an average eight year old came up to my dog, grabbed her face, put her eyes on my dogs eyes and growled at her.

WTH!? Right? So I said "Excuse me little girl, but that is a VERY unwise thing to do, she could have bitten you and you need to talk to your parents about how to deal with strangers dogs." She got up and looked at me and said "You're mean!" And left...I turned to my sister and was like, hopefully I saved her life from sticking her face in someone else dog!

THEN we have had new neighbors move into in MY neighborhood and their kids don't seem to know boundaries around dogs either. My husband and I were eating dinner when we realized that one of them had just walked into our back yard hoping she was out to play!!! My husband went out to talk to him, and we have to talk to their parents as they aren't home from work yet, but, I can't be the only one out there who this has happened to!

Seriously though!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I think it's wonderful that you've put in the time/training to ensure that your dog doesn't bite under such a bazaar encounter with a kid, and I certainly understand that you might have had your attention focused on the fence. However, that a little girl was able to walk up to your dog, in your (or your sister's) property, without you noticing is a bad deal.

Again- it's wonderful that your dog didn't bite! But eagle eyes are needed when your dog is loose in a new setting!

How weird of that girl...

So there my dog is laying down next to me while my sister and I are holding up and nailing in the boards to the fence when this little girl who looked like the size of an average eight year old came up to my dog, grabbed her face, put her eyes on my dogs eyes and growled at her.

·
Registered
297 Posts
That's really weird. Probably that's how she relates to her own dogs? Or perhaps she is developmentaly delayed? I hope you had a chance to talk to her parents so they can teach her about strange dogs, it makes me shutter to think, if she is going around doing this to dogs she does not know:eek:

I recently got new neighbors, as well. I found a very young child, maybe 3 to 4 years old climbing on top of the fence to 'see the doggy'. I did talk to her mommy!

·
Registered
166 Posts
We have a wandering wild-child in our neighborhood too. Hubby and I refer to her as "Trouble" and she truly is the female version of Dennis the Menace. Well, said child was "driving" her mini car thing down the sidewalk and Piper at the tender young age of six months completely bristled up and brought out the biggest Big-Dog-Bark those little lungs could muster. From that day on, Trouble hasn't tried to bother us on walks, doesn't come in our yard (which she does to all neighbors), and completely ignores us. Yes, we tried talking to her parents and No, they are not interested in controlling their child at all. I'm kind of glad that Piper scared her with that bark although I know given half the chance all she'd do is lick her silly.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My friend at work complains about a neighbor kid that does this with her dog and other peoples dogs. I think that the parents need to be talked to, they need to explain to their own kids what they should/shouldn't do with a strange dog. My 5 year old niece has the same problem and I explain to her over and over again that she can't approach dogs the way she does...and yet she keeps doing it. My dogs are used to her, but I still tell her not to do it. She does my dogs fur(yes she gave the Golden Retriever what looked like a mohawk with water), she puts things around their necks, she hugs them, gets in their face etc...drives me nuts. The kid shows no fear and doesn't believe a word I say. I don't even think that she would be scared of dogs if she got bit by one. I will keep working with her as her mom(my sister) is of no help at all:(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Oh gosh...other people's kids scare me. Actually, most of the time it's the negligent parents that scare me.

You know, kids are so unpredictable. And it's a shame that as dog owners we need to make 'watching other people's kids' one of our priorities...especially when we have dogs with a bad rap like our GSDs, if anything happens, it's probably going to be 'our fault'.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My neighbors grandkids throw rocks at Banjo. He's never been abused like that so to him they are throwing toys and he tries to catch the stones. I had a talk with the adults and it pretty much stopped but every now and again I'll see the little yard apes eyeing Banjo. They still bark/yell at him and have learned that screaming will make him howl. I work 3rd shift so they are never around when I am not at home, so I catch them every time. Usually I just call Banjo inside and play with the dogs inside for awhile. My Mal totally ignores them, which I greatly enjoy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts