German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Option A: Stay home (besides daily walks and outdoor play) and focus on bonding, house training, learning that home is a safe place. Hold off on intruducing puppy to new people (excited family members) and dogs (family dogs that I know are healthy).

Option B: Take puppy with me whenever I can and where ever I can. Start major socialization right away and work on house training and bonding with our family while home at night and during less busy days.

Option C: :help: a happy medium? (whatever that is)

I know that socialization is very important for a new puppy, especially GSD, however I don't want to neglect the house training and bonding that I know also needs to happen. So which one is more important?

Which option would you choose? If its option C suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
27,330 Posts
Option C is what I did.
I stayed at home for a couple of days and was very careful where I took my pup after that. THe immune system isn't very strong so where other dogs have been is a risk.
I took my pup to work with me, he was crated in the truck safely and the weather was mild. I let him out every hour and brought his mid day meal along. After a couple of weeks I took him to parades, garden centers, parties and playgrounds(it was spring) he heard gunshots,sirens, saw wagons, strollers, trains and traffic up close. The playground provided different surfaces to walk on.
One thing that I think is really important, the pup has to learn to be by himself as well as forming that strong bond with you. Otherwise you may end up with a seperation anxiety issue.
So a happy medium is what I would do. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I did what Jane did ^^

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with B and C. You have to be careful until he's fully vaccinated but a puppy class is definitely in order! And I agree with what onyx'girl says about the pup being able to stay by himself. If you're in a class they will probably do some exercises like someone holding the leash while you walk out of sight for a couple of minutes, or you can practice that at home. Also, when you do leave don't say goodbye, give treats or hugs or anything, just pop him in the crate and leave. Same with when you return, just walk in, no excitement. You'll be able to tell when he's had enough of strangers and kids and dogs, give him a time out in the crate. I took mine just about everywhere with me and I made field trips to the vet's office, my office, the nearby college, walking trails, etc. The more time and training you devote now, the happier you'll all be. Sounds like you have a good plan and have really thought this out, nice to see someone do this ahead of time!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you have a good plan and have really thought this out, nice to see someone do this ahead of time!
I have OCD (pretty bad actually) so I have to prepare and know exactly how I'm going to handle and new situations otherwise my anxiety will get the best of me and I'll end up in bed crying all day. It's nice to always be prepared but it gets really annoying having to think obsessively non-stop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With Bianca I am doing Option C.

I think you have to be pretty careful before they have a few sets of vaccines done. That way you have more of a saftey net if they come into contact with anything of the negative variety. (With only one set of vaccines you don't really have anything but an innate immune response.) Also just be careful with "where" you're taking them and the general canine/human traffic that goes there. I waited until her third set of vaccines to really start taking her (and setting her down) in higher traffic'd areas, but I'm still pretty careful with the quality of pet owners that I believe traffic those areas still. (I'm a little OCD myself and my gf spent 5 years as an RVT at an ER Animal Hospital so we're even more so about diseases haha.)

That being said, with Bianca I'm lucky in that I have different houses with multiple people and canines that she can come into contact with in a safe enviornment. She juggles between my girlfriend's place/ my place/ my parents/her parent etc. What this has done is: has made housebreaking take about two weeks when in the past its taken a little less time. But she is also ten times more accepting (at 11 weeks) than my past GSD was in her lifetime. And also I feel it has kind of "full proofed" her better to know that ANYWHERE she is she's going potty outdoors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In brief - I have pretty much taken mine to work with me everyday since he was 8 weeks old (he's now 14 weeks /yes I'm lucky to be able to do so). Not that he has free roam of the office though -

He's kept in a crate in a spare office with the door closed while he's crated. He usually has 3 - 4 walks a day, 2 periods of play time that involve drive building games, and now that he has had 2 sets of shots, I take him with me to job sites and to pick up materials (I work in construction) when I can. I try to introduce him to all kinds of new situations - but never to much at a time. He does stay home usually one day a week with my wife, as I can't have him only bonding with me alone.

In doing the above - even at 14 weeks we have a solid bond that I can see in his eyes when we play. Even while playing with a new toy - he will drop it and come to me when called. Don't get me wrong - he's no angel. Many times I have had him out of his crate and within two minutes of having my back turned there is a trail of debris from one end of the office to the other (almost like a band of drunk sailors on shore leave have trashed the place). But then again he is a puppy! I wouldn't trade him for anything and I'm lucky to have a GSD like him.

Just my two cents

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
wow! you all have cool jobs. seems like everyone was able to take their puppy to work with them....jealous over here

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I have OCD (pretty bad actually) so I have to prepare and know exactly how I'm going to handle and new situations otherwise my anxiety will get the best of me and I'll end up in bed crying all day. It's nice to always be prepared but it gets really annoying having to think obsessively non-stop.
Getting a puppy will either be really good for you, or will drive you loony! You sound a lot like me before I got Rosa and Niko. We had family meetings about what our rules were going to be. DH and I actually printed out a daily schedule, down the minute just about, for every potty break, play or training session, naps, meals, the works. That lasted about half a day.:)

You already know where to turn for advice and moral support. I'm wishing you the very best of luck!:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Someone suggested it would be good to put my puppy in a daycare for at least one day a week so he can socialize with other dogs in a controlled environment. Has anyone tried that?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Option C is what I did.
I stayed at home for a couple of days and was very careful where I took my pup after that. THe immune system isn't very strong so where other dogs have been is a risk.
I took my pup to work with me, he was crated in the truck safely and the weather was mild. I let him out every hour and brought his mid day meal along. After a couple of weeks I took him to parades, garden centers, parties and playgrounds(it was spring) he heard gunshots,sirens, saw wagons, strollers, trains and traffic up close. The playground provided different surfaces to walk on.
One thing that I think is really important, the pup has to learn to be by himself as well as forming that strong bond with you. Otherwise you may end up with a seperation anxiety issue.
So a happy medium is what I would do. Good luck!!
That's what I did, I took off a whole week to be with my Sinister Boy.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Option B: Take puppy with me whenever I can and where ever I can. Start major socialization right away and work on house training and bonding with our family while home at night and during less busy days.
I don't see why the two have to be mutually exclusive. :confused: I've always taken my pups everywhere I can take them, and they are very bonded to me and I to them. I think spending that kind of time with them (on outings) exposes both pup and person to the outside world and bonding occurs during this. I don't know about other peoples pups but most of mine would rather be out and about playing, seeing the world, and bonding vs sitting at home on the couch "bonding."

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Option A: Stay home (besides daily walks and outdoor play) and focus on bonding, house training, learning that home is a safe place. Hold off on intruducing puppy to new people (excited family members) and dogs (family dogs that I know are healthy).

Option C: :help: a happy medium? (whatever that is)

I know that socialization is very important for a new puppy, especially GSD, however I don't want to neglect the house training and bonding that I know also needs to happen. So which one is more important?

Which option would you choose? If its option C suggestions are appreciated!
I also took Sin EVERYWHERE. Anywhere that would allow him, we went to. Before I got Rogue 5 weeks ago, Sinister went with me to all of my friends houses, he went to parties, parades, my mom's hair salon, everywhere. He is a HUGE social butterfly. He loves everyone and everything, including motorcycles. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts