German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since we have one going about the bad things....

One of my favorite things about my boss and our other DVM is that they will just plop down and talk to clients. We've had them taking care of a room for over an hour (schedule permitting), just getting to know the clients, pets, and the best path of medical care.
I love how all but one of the techs introduce themselves with big smiles, and try to explain what's going on to the clients without making them feel like children.
I love that our receptionists aren't afraid to come to the back and get dirty if we need help in a room, Treatment or the kennel.

So. What do YOU absolutely adore about your vet/vet techs/receptionists?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Mine is more of a appreciation. My boy was recently neutered at 3 years old. The tech told me they all knew he was awake after surgery because he was crying. She told him he was a good boy & was petting him and he calmed down. She was very kind & gave him a hug when I picked him up. Something small but it was certainly appreciated:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
My vet back home and my vet here, they actually listen to ME about my dogs personality. They're reasonable and don't try to push anything once I've said no. Heck the vet here even completely understood that I didn't feel the need to pay a $60 office fee plus the shot fee for Dax's final booster next week and even agreed doing the shot at home myself for $10 would be perfectly fine. She also didn't push neutering Dax and listened to my reasons for saying no.

They listen to my concerns and ask questions about the dogs and how they are at home. They greet us happily, no direct approaches that could intimidate the dogs or cause a problem. They come into the room and aren't heavy handed about handling the animals. EVERYTHING is explained before its done and I get a say in what treatments are done and when. It's on my schedule, not theirs.

Basically, everyone there is very respectful. I'm not treated like an idiot. They also allow me to handle my dog if I wish. And they understand the dogs have to earn any treats they get. Mutual respect.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nice, the positive thread! Our vet techs act like they love my dog and fuss over her every time we go (she has SIBO so we see them a LOT :(). Our vet is super patient and calm with Jedda, doesn't try to throw antibiotics at every symptom, and explains things thoroughly. He's also open minded about holistic treatments and will check out alternatives I read about here to see if they're safe.

The vet I'd used for 12 years merged into a VCA hospital, and I wasn't thrilled about going from a small practice to one so obviously corporate, but I'm glad I found him. Just an example - I was giving Jedda weekly B12 shots and I hated it as much as she did. When he went to give her the shot and saw how she reacted, instead of just forcing it, he got a different needle and used a different spot, which she handled much better. Are we allowed to say who we use? If so, I go to Dr. Armendariz at VCA Arrighetti in Santa Fe, NM.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I like my current vet now. He's very experienced and is the old school "Don't fix it unless it's broken." type of vet. My other vet was always trying to convince me that my dog was sick when he wasn't, until she finally conceded that he was the healthiest german shepherd she had ever treated(but she was young and inexperienced and seemed to think all german shepherds were riddled with genetic diseases, so that doesn't mean much). My current vet only does what I tell him to do, and he only checks what I ask him to check unless something is obviously wrong. And he doesn't push science diet or anything else on me.

My MIL went to him as a second opinion when her cat had bumps on its nose. The first vet said cancer, and they needed to do a biopsy. This guy accurately identified the bumps as just a fungal infection. He gave my MIL some cream, the bumps cleared up in a few days, and that was it. No need for a very expensive biopsy that would have stressed out the cat for absolutely no reason.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine takes the time to go over things and is great with the dogs. I haven't dealt with the vet techs, because the vet pretty much does everything. The techs do the nails and put you in the room. I also like the emergency vet to. They get the info to my regular vet and my vet calls me immediately for a follow up. Both treat for what needs to be treated and they are never pushy about anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love mine, a. He's great about not judging on breeds - he loves on Nova and b. he totally understood about wanting to visit for "nothing" - just to get her used to the vet surgery and him. Plus he doesn't mind a good chat about everything puppy! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I like both the old, now retired vet and my new vet. They both are great at explaining everything and giving me the best bang for the buck options when cash was low. They had no problems discussing the info I've read on the Internet sometimes getting a good laugh. When Zoey was put on cyclosporine the techs and vet went the extra mile to call around and find the least expensive place to buy it. I can think of another vet tech who said I was going to pay too much for Zoey's dental work which pushed me to discuss this with the oral surgeon. I ended up paying less.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My vet gets on the ground and loves on Lara, and he didn't push me to spay her. She has a recessed vulva and they actually recommended letting her stay intact for awhile, which most vets don't do. And they let me come in there twice a week just to weigh her and always feed her treats. She LOVES the vet

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I loved my old vet, back when I was in high school. We had probably 30 rats over a 10 year period, and even after their vet that saw rats left they would still euthanize my sick rats for 20 $. They knew me and knew I would know when it was the right time. They were closed one sunday and I tried making an appointment with a pocket pet vet for a euthanasia, and he wanted an 80 $ office fee plus a 60 $ euthanasia fee.

One vet we fought over zekes raw diet but outside of that they were very kind and compassionate.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love that my vet understands that money doesn't grow on trees. She does her best to come up with affordable solutions, which includes getting meds at human pharmacies, being able to call in on an existing issue for a quick consult, etc. I liked her so much that when she switched practices I tracked her down and followed her.

Oh, and I don't think she is a vet tech but I love the girl at the front desk. She always remembers my name and Bru's name when I stop by to drop off newspapers and she always asks after Bru when I do come in.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
Oh, my gosh.
Where do I start?
I got my previous vet recommendation through German Shepherd rescue. I wasn't disappointed.
The vet I went to was no-nonsense, and she had seen and done everything. When the Parvo vaccine didn't take, she let me order my own online, and gave him the vaccination. She didn't like it, thought I was over the top, made me sign a waiver, but she did it.
Every question I had, she answered in detail and even offered extra information. I was really sorry to have to lose her.

When we moved to Florida, I went online and found the best vet we've ever had.
His office is not in the best of neighborhoods, and his place is old and basic, and I could not care less.
He is fantastic. Always spends as much time as we need, listens to our concerns, is extremely knowledgeable but open to new ideas, and is willing to look into something you have found on the Internet, even though I'll bet it would be easier for him if we just did what he said. However, he likes to find out new things, and is a research nut.
So, when I found the European prostate medication on this forum, and presented him with the idea, he was open to it, researched it, and even wrote me a prescription to take to Europe with me.
I'm sure he thinks I'm over the top, when everyone else would just go ahead and neuter their dog, but he also understands why I am putting it off, and I love him dearly for it.

Unfortunately, Hans has begun to bark very aggressively at him when he comes into the room, because the prostate issues have meant some very painful experiences.
This vet has been attacked and bitten by another German Shepherd, which makes him rather fearful of the breed. Until now, Hans was a favorite customer. The last couple of visits, the vet was really gracious about wanting to have him muzzled, concerned that I would have a problem with it.
He was very relieved when I told him I actually thought it was a great idea.
He always does the blood draws himself, including the ones from the jugular, right in the room. One time, Hans was getting very stressed, so I offered to step out of the room.
Again, he seemed very relieved, and thanked me for offering to leave.

Right by the entrance, there are always kittens, waiting for adoption. He has been known to take in Parvo cases where the owners didn't have enough money for treatment, and the dogs ended up being his.
I could go on for pages.
Oh, and techs? The techs once cut Hans's nails, and because they were short to begin with, didn't want to charge me. They are big dog lovers, own pit bulls, are tattooed, know what they're doing, are always respectful, and have great calm energy.

I drive a good distance to see this doctor, And the above are just a few reasons why.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

We have been going to the same vet for over 15 yrs. There are several things, one is we rarely wait for more than a few minutes and once we get into the room they don't try to push you out the door. The other thing is they genuinely care for your animal and take the time to talk to you about things. When Rocky, my last GSD, was in a bad way and myself having a bad back couldn't lift his 90 plus pound body into my truck, they offered to come pick him up and bring him in. It was the day we decided to put him down. The vet though was still not totally giving up and offered to transfuse blood from his own dog to mine for one last ditch effort to save him but we all new it was over. That is going above and beyond. They new Rocky having treated him for 12 yrs. But they genuinely care. Everyone there is always positive and happy and ready to help. When they administered Rocky's shot several stuck around to say goodbye as well as the vet. It was tuff but meant alot. They have more than earned my patronage.

The opposite is another local vet thats been around along time. But what made me leave was when I walked in after they built a new facility, was the first thing they asked me was I had three choices of care for my animal. The choices were good, better and best. In other words I had to decide what kind of care I wanted for my animal. I asked the clerk what the heck this meant. I always want the best care for my animals and told her this was a silly concept and walked out and never went back.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My biggest thing is attitude. I've never felt disrespected or talked down to and both myself and my animals love the clinic atmosphere which is very calm and homey.

My vet is a good mixture of holistic and medicinal approaches. They encourage tithers rather then annual vac's and don't look down on me for not giving any medicinal flea, heartworm, or tick preventative but instead take a natural approach. They support both raw and kibble without prejudice.

The first thing my vet does when he walks into the room is saying hello to me then pet my animals and let them lick his face and arms without making a face. He remembers their names and favourite treats and has them ready. Even with Delgado he doesn't hesitate to plop down on the floor with him and let him sit in his lap and lick his ear, Delgado loves him and will go through all his obedience routines just for a "good boy" and pet from the vet. He talks throughout the visit both to me and to the animal and the animals respond to his soothing voice. He's never once mentioned a muzzle or a warning regarding GSD's and their bad reputation. We've discussed the chronic issues plauging the breed and how to both prevent and treat them. With Jazzy and her nervousness he knows to tone it down a bit and that makes her very comfortable, he allows me to restrain her for almost everything and we haven't had any problems.

Stories:

I hate sending animals in for surgery, even if it's a simple neuter I admit I worry. With Delgado it would be the first time he would be left anywhere that wasn't home or with family, so I took his blanket and washed and dried it and immediately bagged it and brought it in with him. They allowed me to send his blanket in with him for the crate when I asked. When I went to pick him up later in the day two techs were standing at the front, I asked them how he behaved and they both smiled and assured me he had done just fine.

The clinic has two cats who live there and apparently one of them was teasing Delgado constantly by running up and rubbing against the gate of the run he was in then running away when he went to sniff. Finally Delgado had enough so he waited quietly until the cat was close again and then barked right in her face sending her scurrying away.

They had nice large runs for the large size dogs, each time they would walk by his run he would look around for a toy to offer them to play with him but there was only his blanket. So he would grab a corner of his blanket and offer it with a whine to get their attention. When the tech went back to bring him out so he could leave she was having a hard time getting the blanket back in the bag because Delgado kept pulling it out as fast as she was shoving it in and offering it back to her. She knelt down and cuddled him before bringing him out and he willingly followed her to the front only looking away when he noticed me. It was obvious he liked her very much :)

He apparently was very quiet in the run but when they gave him the first round of sedation to relax him he started to do this constant mumbling howl like a "AaaaWoooo" even as his eyes drooped close. It continued nonstop until he was fully under and the entire staff was apparently chuckling at him.

Little stories that like go a long way towards reassuring me that he had behaved throughout the day and made me chuckle. I liked the fact they took the time to tell them to me and all the staff came to give Delgado one last pat and hug before we left. He wasn't in a hurry to leave, it was obvious he had scammed them a bit into being pampered like the prince he thinks he is ;)

When I was there to drop Delgado off for his neuter it was very early in the morning and as I was going to walk in I see a lady take a cat out of her car without a leash or in a carrier and the cat freaks out and jumps out of her arms and runs under the car. I immediately put Delgado back into the car as two techs come out to help and between the four of us we got the cat safely into the clinic. There were no scathing looks or muttered words about the client who was silly enough to try and walk into the clinic like that. They simply helped get the cat safely in and "suggested" just once in a very nice manner that a carrier would be a good idea to help keep the cat secure in the future.

When Delgado and I were in for his wellness check the receptionist poked her head into the room and quietly explained there was a unleashed dog running around in the reception area. Again, nothing scathing regarding the owner mentioned just a simple warning so the vet took us out the back when everything was done so we would avoid any issues with the other dog.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I've been going to the same vet office since I was a kid. The same vet is still there, but now has taken in another vet partner (one of his old vet techs) and I think he may be moving towards retirement at some point. Both are very calm and mellow. When my shih tzu had a bad bout of gastroenteritis (bleeding and had to have sub-q fluids), the vet kept a close watch on him. They ended up letting me take him home the next day because he was so stressed being there. However, he called Sunday afternoon to check on him. I thought that was very nice of him.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Yay, a positive thread about veterinary professionals!

I've worked with many vets and vet techs, and I have nothing but good things to say about all of them. There have been so many wonderful people, but in the interest of brevity, I'll just touch on my current regular vet.

I am lucky enough to have Durham Veterinary Clinic about a mile down the road from me. Dr Lyman, the senior vet, is AWESOME. He is conservative when he should be, and aggressive when he needs to be. His daughter and son-in-law are also vets and work in the clinic alongside him--they are both awesome as well. They listen, they are compassionate, they take their time with you.

The staff is wonderful. They are experienced, friendly, gentle and compassionate. The receptionist always remembers me and my pets when I call.

It is a small clinic that has been in business for at least 25 years, and the personal service is outstanding. I cannot dream of a better place to care for my pets. It's not cheap, but they are considerate and conservative with their procedures when money is an issue, and they have given me several "freebies" over the years. I simply do not have a bad thing to say about them. <3

·
Registered
217 Posts
The vet and vet techs that we take Gypsy to are way better than the ones that we took her predecessors, Bear and Jenna, to. They are calm and friendly from the moment you walk in the door to the moment you leave. Both of the vets will listen and give answers very politely. The vets, also, try to befriend the animals they see just like the vet techs. In fact, I think the reason Gypsy likes to go to the vet is because 1. She gets attention and 2. She gets petted by vet techs ( although that did not happen the last time we went and Gypsy was being barky about it or she wanted to be there but since her favorite techs weren't there, she changed her mind). Also, the vets nor the vet techs will ask permission before they try to take her out of the room and they do askfor help in keeping her calm
and relaxed when she needs to be held down for something. I have noticed one thing though about one of the vets, he does not give shots into a leg but on scruff of her neck. Still regardless of that, Gypsy like going to the vet and we are fine with that.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have 2 vets, my horse vet of 25+ years and my current vet. I love both of them because whenever I have a problem they always work with me and go the extra step with each of my animals placing "care" above any monetary issue.
So many times I've been in an emergency situation and my animals were treated or I was advised what to do without breaking the bank.
Both of my vets have always discussed things with me without judgement for different veiws allowing me to make my own choices.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I love that when it's time for my old guy's regular Adequan shot, and two techs come in, one says to the other, "This dog is a such good boy. All you have to do is pet him--and make sure to give him a treat for being a good boy."

I love that when the receptionist sees my little, shy dog, she gets excited because she and my dog are friends. This dog loves the receptionist because the receptionist spends her break time with my dog when she's there. When I bring one of the other dogs for something, the receptionist always tells me she misses the little one and wants her to come visit.

I love that the kennel staff always give me updates on play care at the end of the day, and they often tell me my three are among the happiest dogs they see. They know the social progress that the youngest dogs have made since being rescued, and they appreciate how far they've come.

I love that the staff has loads of pictures of my dogs having a great time during play care, and they text them to me.

I love that after a minor procedure, when I noticed my old dog's nails had been neatly trimmed and commented on it, the vet tech explained that they did it while my dog was waking up, as they were petting him so that he wouldn't feel lonely as the sedative wore off.

I love that my dogs are exited and happy when they walk into the vet's office building, because they have friends there.

I love that the low-cost-spay-neuter-clinic that handles my foster dogs' speutering has a sweet GSD-loving vet tech who texts me when the fosters are in recovery to let me know they are doing fine.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I just spoke with my vet about our kitty whom I dropped off there Tuesday morning. His fever is down to 103and she said she feels he will do much better at home so she wants me to pick him up today. They are only open still 5pm and I can't get there until almost 5:30 she said she'll wait for me, she has a ton of paper work to do anyway....Who else would do that!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts