German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I have a male and female german shepherd. Would you please give me some information on these GSD? I would appreciate any information you can give me. Even just thoughts or 2 cents matter to me. They are not from the same parents at all.
This is my first time owning GSD and I've spent a lot of time reading about them and have probably watched every video on YouTube. I want to know your experience with this breed, specifically this line. What do you know about them? What am I to expect? What should I know. They are 2 and 3 months. I'm just so excited to own these beautiful dogs. Also what has your experience been like, what do you do and why?

Credit to Bramble, and Springbrz for helping me realize that I needed to write more.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Not sure what you are asking for? Are these your pups? Or are you looking to get another pup? If these are yours and they are the same age (even from different litters) you are going to have your hands very full raising two pups at the same time. Search the forum and the web for information on Litter mate syndrome if these are yours.
Anyway they are cute as most pups are is all I have at the moment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what you are asking for? Are these your pups? Or are you looking to get another pup? If these are yours and they are the same age (even from different litters) you are going to have your hands very full raising two pups at the same time. Search the forum and the web for information on Litter mate syndrome if these are yours.
Anyway they are cute as most pups are is all I have at the moment.
Thank you very much. I've edited my post. I will look into Litter mate syndrome. I appreciate you.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Thank you I've edited my post now. Well I want to know your secrets, your techniques, how and what you do to raise your GSD.
First time owning a GSD...are these your first ever pups? Always remember for the next few months these are pups and they know nothing and will take all their guidance from you. Bond with them both together and separately, be consistent and fair always. Training is a must. Little bits every day throughout the day. Don't expect too much too fast...they are pups. Mental exercise is just as important if not more so than physical exercise. This breed needs to work it's brain. Have patience during the land shark stage. Buy leather work gloves and always carry chew toys and treats until they are done teething (around 6 months ish).

It's going to be a wild ride but one well worth taking. Welcome to puppyhood!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
One thing you need to be VERY aware of with a young, un-neutered male and female is that females can come into season as early as 7 months, and the male can make her pregnant. Please educate yourself about what a female's season looks like, and how to keep them apart during this time. Both males and females can be VERY determined when nature tells them it's time to make puppies, and, of course, 7 months is too young for a litter!

Do you have plans to breed? You will need to do your homework, then! Both the male and female will need to be health tested and have hips and elbows x-rayed. You also need to ask yourself if they are really truly breed quality dogs in terms of structure and temperament. This means they should be trained and titled in either conformation or performance events.

There's a lot more to breeding than just putting a male and a female together. Breeding can be expensive, too, especially if the female runs into problems when whelping. It's not generally a good idea for a first-time GSD owner to to consider breeding. There's far too much to learn about these wonderful dogs, if you are going to do it properly!

As for learning, well, you've come to a good place for that!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First time owning a GSD...are these your first ever pups? Always remember for the next few months these are pups and they know nothing and will take all their guidance from you. Bond with them both together and separately, be consistent and fair always. Training is a must. Little bits every day throughout the day. Don't expect too much too fast...they are pups. Mental exercise is just as important if not more so than physical exercise. This breed needs to work it's brain. Have patience during the land shark stage. Buy leather work gloves and always carry chew toys and treats until they are done teething (around 6 months ish).

It's going to be a wild ride but one well worth taking. Welcome to puppyhood!
This is pure gold my eyes are watering up because of how valuable and grateful I am with you and this information. Thank you very much. No, I've own pitbulls before. First time owning this breed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm confused, what happened to the black and tan male pup from your first thread?
I'm confused, what happened to the black and tan male pup from your first thread?
Hi Nigel,
While I was at work my mother let them go outside to potty when she noticed he didn't come back she went out looking for him call me I came home early and we looked for hours. My back yard is a very wooded area, so I'm not sure what happened to him. My mom is just now getting over the lost and we are both still very saddened.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am confused as well.
Oh hi Petras dad! He got lost when my mom let him out as we always did to potty. We have hawks here, and well as other prey animals and my backyard is the woods. It was a very sad and painful lesson but we are now very careful when we let them out. We keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing you need to be VERY aware of with a young, un-neutered male and female is that females can come into season as early as 7 months, and the male can make her pregnant. Please educate yourself about what a female's season looks like, and how to keep them apart during this time. Both males and females can be VERY determined when nature tells them it's time to make puppies, and, of course, 7 months is too young for a litter!

Do you have plans to breed? You will need to do your homework, then! Both the male and female will need to be health tested and have hips and elbows x-rayed. You also need to ask yourself if they are really truly breed quality dogs in terms of structure and temperament. This means they should be trained and titled in either conformation or performance events.

There's a lot more to breeding than just putting a male and a female together. Breeding can be expensive, too, especially if the female runs into problems when whelping. It's not generally a good idea for a first-time GSD owner to to consider breeding. There's far too much to learn about these wonderful dogs, if you are going to do it properly!

As for learning, well, you've come to a good place for that!
Wow that's very good to know, so much valuable information. Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. It sure does seem like this is a good place. I normally read what's already posted here. Only when I can't find something or need it custom for me do I ask, but I do like this group so many knowledgeable, nice willing and ready to help people here. It feels like family here. And I'm in the military so believe me when I tell you that there's a sence of comraderie here.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thank you I've edited my post now. Well I want to know your secrets, your techniques, how and what you do to raise your GSD.
I have never raised two puppies at once so I can't offer much about that other than good luck. I would find an experienced trainer and start working with them to help guide you in raising and training your pups.

Some good online resources are:

Leerburg - they offer online classes, dvd's, and streaming videos.
Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - they offer a number of online classes and other resources.
The Collared Scholar - they offer online classes and various blog posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh wow great. Thank you. I'll look into a trainer

I have never raised two puppies at once so I can't offer much about that other than good luck. I would find an experienced trainer and start working with them to help guide you in raising and training your pups.

Some good online resources are:

Leerburg - they offer online classes, dvd's, and streaming videos.
Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - they offer a number of online classes and other resources.
The Collared Scholar - they offer online classes and various blog posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
awwww - they are soooo cute. But they are puppies, you are going to be busy. Our male and female are both from shelters so they are neutered, which I recommend. Last thing you want is more puppies. I always look for adults but we're struggling with a 90 lb puppy the shelter said was 2 years old. Baby Huey, for sure. You cannot give them too much attention any more than you can turn you back on them. Everything is such fun! Training is necessary. Best advice I can give you is, 'Don't give up". There will be bad days as well as some really fun ones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We raised two GSD pups together many dogs ago and my biggest piece of advice (in addition to the previous) would be to be sure to get them used to being apart occasionally so that you are able to take one and leave the other home if needed (like to the vet). We did not and our two were so bonded that both had to go everywhere together (even the vet) or it created too much anxiety for them to be apart.

That and perhaps create a fenced outdoor area (even if relatively small) they can access through a dog door for potty time. Puppies are pretty quick to pick up on going out through the door and it will save your sanity (and prevent running off if you turn your back for a second).

Good luck and have lots of patience - they will keep you very busy and likely push all your buttons.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow this is pure gold, very valuable information. Thank you so much for the wonderful and very useful advice. I will definitely work on this. Thank you I would've never thought it of it wasn't for you. I appreciate it.

We raised two GSD pups together many dogs ago and my biggest piece of advice (in addition to the previous) would be to be sure to get them used to being apart occasionally so that you are able to take one and leave the other home if needed (like to the vet). We did not and our two were so bonded that both had to go everywhere together (even the vet) or it created too much anxiety for them to be apart.

That and perhaps create a fenced outdoor area (even if relatively small) they can access through a dog door for potty time. Puppies are pretty quick to pick up on going out through the door and it will save your sanity (and prevent running off if you turn your back for a second).

Good luck and have lots of patience - they will keep you very busy and likely push all your buttons.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Become very familiar with the Leerburg.com web site. I am on my 6th and 7th working bred shepherds. I still read this free articles, watch their free videos and have purchased many DVDs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts