German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This I guess is a rather bit of an odd question but really, what do you keep your kibble in? I right now have it in a bin like this http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd260075 but it's actually a pain in the rear as it takes up so much room.

I've been looking around for one that's "made" for kibble. On that is tall and doesn't take up so much room. Thing is they all cost close to $50 here
I can't afford that much for one.

But then I got a little booklet from J & J dog supplies with their new stuff and they got just what I was looking for. For only $19.99 and with shipping it'll be a little under $26.
http://www.jjdog.com/Merchant2/merchant....gFoodContainers

I'm going to get the med size one. Seeing as my bags of kibble I get are only 30lbs it's perfect

So what do you all store your kibble in?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
In our den room there's this cupboard door that goes into a little cubby hole in the wall (mainly for access to the plumbing for the bathroom above). I keep dog food in there, in the bag. Someone told me if you pour it into plastic, the plastic dries it out or something, I don't remember. Honestly I just keep it in the bag, cut a hole in the side and scoop it from there. I keep the bag in a plastic bin so it doesn't tip over and spill, but it's not enclosed.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Both the dog and cat food that I buy comes in plastic bags with a zipper top. So the food stays in the bag on a shelf in the basement.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
After reading about all of the dangers of plastic I stopped emptying my bags into plastic (or tin) bins and starting keeping them in their vacuum packed bags. I put the bag into a tall trashcan--much cheaper than the things that are made for dog food--and use clothespins to keep the bags closed.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
We have two of these, one for cat food and one for cat litter - http://www.petco.com/product/12461/Rubbermaid-Pets-Scoop-n-Store-Pet-Food-Storage.aspx

And we have a different one (clear plastic with a blue top) for the dog food, but I can't seem to find a picture of it online. I know it was about $20 or so, but I don't recall where we got it.

We usually put the whole bag of food into the container, except with the top cut open. It sometimes takes some doing, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
We just leave the bags on a kitchen chair that we don't use, close them with clothes pins or "chip clips", and leave the measuring cup inside.

·
Registered
468 Posts
We bought a plastic container at WalMart $9.99 and we put the bag of food in the container. Kinda looks like a garbage can. lol

No need to buy anything fancy, since the food doesn't stay there long.

Not expensive and works great!

Bogarts Dad.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
All dog food companies suggest you leave the food in the bag, that the bags have been made to hold dog food.
With the recalls and issues in the last couple of years I think it's also VERY smart to always have the lot/date/etc information for what we're feeding our pets at any given time.

I have a plastic containor I bought - I don't even remember where now
and the bag of food drops down inside of it

·
Registered
945 Posts
I use used cat litter containers(the ones that are heavy plastic with the lid on it) I washed them out a few times before using them and that was a few years,several moves, and dogs ago and I still use them. And they are great for going on the road

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
We leave it in the bag. I would like to get some sort of tall container to store the entire bag in but haven't found one that I particually like just yet. I might look into getting a tall trashcan.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
We have a stackable rubbermaid tub. It's about 8 years old and still looks and works well.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
This was a great question, Britt, I've been wondering myself. I currently have a plastic bin that I got at Petsmart (tan lid) but since Gracie came back with storage mite allergies, I've been considering changing how I store her food. We empty the bag into the container and keep it under the kitchen sink. Now I'm told that is the worst place to keep it. So, looking for somewhere else (very tiny kitchen).... Then I read keep it in the bag.... Then - keep it in an airtight container....UGH - what's the right thing to do?!!!! Leaving it in the bag isn't airtight. I also store the unopened bags in the basement - someone said that's not a good thing. Can SOMEONE please tell me what to do?!!!!!!!!
We have a tall, narrow stainless steel step on garbage can. I was thinking of moving the garbage under the sink (very small but can be done) and stuffing the bag of food into the garbage can. Maybe I'll just stuff myself in the garbage can

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Keep it in the bag in an airtight container?

I keep Dante's food in the laundry room, under the kitchen sink I would think would be too damp and hot?

Course I could win the lottery - feed raw and then there would be no question of where I would keep his food

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Forgot to add that since my dogs eat 3 different kinds of food (and only 2 dogs--go figure!) there is also a bag sitting on the floor. Lots of times I forget to close it between meals. Both dogs leave it alone because even though they are both piggies they never get into stuff.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jen lol I at least don't have to deal with having no where to put it. It goes into the back hall.

There are a lot of different ways people store food

I could never keep Tash's kibble bag out with things keeping the bag closed. Tash would probably dump it all out and eat and eat like she has never had food before so it has to be put away somewhere. I'll see when I have to pick up kibble again -just got a 30lb bag plue a free 5lb bag- which wont be fore about another 2 months so...once I get the container it'll have to go in bag free for at least the first time.

·
Registered
31,887 Posts
I bought the fifty pound, fifty dollar one from PetsMart. I am sure it will cause my dogs to die at fourteen of cancer, but they are nice, keep the ants and the dogs out of the food and hold 50 pounds of kibble. I have two large and a small one for treats. I bought one for Mom too.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Years ago my parents fed my old beagles pro plan. Every so often they had a deal at petsmart/co where you buy a bag and get a food bin for free. So we have several of these bins and they work great. I put a 40 lb bag (bag and all) in and as long as I cut the excess top of the bag off it fits great. The lid has a flappy part or you can pull the entire lid off to put the food in.

I was looking at the bins at petco and they were just too expensive IMO. If I didn't have these bins I'd probably get one from wally world.

Acurajane, what a great idea! I'll have to remember that for when I travel and/or move!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts