·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Yeah, looks like a GSD mix

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No idea what he's mixed with. I think he's pretty german shepherd ish too. He's got that long furry tail. But solid black with little white on his feet and chest. He's so hyper active. Vet said 4-5 months? Does his size look right for that age 32 lbs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
very cute, may be a mix .

To the OP, could you please just post one question vs doubling up on them? I've requested this very same thread to be closed in the adoption/urgent forum.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
He looks very GSD like - if not a purebred, then a mostly GSD....the white on the chest is not uncommon in purebred GSDs - I have seen alot of pet lines with it, and even a few German breds - Jogi Zonk's (sp) dog has a really big white slash on his chest...if he is 4 to 5 months, he is teething and it is normal for ears to go up and down during that time as well.

He's cute - keep him!!!! (if you can't find his owner)

Lee

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I think it is more of a could be. I think he looks very much like a GSD, though he could be mixed. Dogs grow at different rates, sometimes depending on their access to food, and sometimes just due to their genetics. There is some formula, weight at so many months doubled will be his final weight, but I think that doesn't always hold true. Don't worry overmuch about it. Size and color means nothing. What matters is temperament, bonding, trainability, character, and intelligence. If he is the right dog for you in those areas, he will be the perfect color, and the perfect size.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
It is always possible that someone dumped him because he was too hyper for them. Big black dogs do not have a good track record in shelters, and owner turn-ins can be euthanized on the same day. It is possible they felt the dog had a better chance by just dumping him -- a terrible thing to do, not condoning that, but it is possible they were over-matched.

What to do, I think you would want to wear him out, play tug with him, play ball with him, several short training sessions a day, wear out his mind as well as his body. Do not feed him junk food full of molassis and other forms of sugar. Feed him a high quality kibble (check the nutrition section) or RAW/BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) diet.

Someone with high energy pups might have better advice.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I would not use a bicycle with a 4-5 month old puppy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You mean bicycle as in like a human bicycle? And I try to get him to play tug with me but he doesn't know what to do with it. Or fetch **** just look at me like " yeah right you go get it" he's eating purina one. But he threw up the first time he ate it.
Could it be becuz he went from eating trash to an actual diet?

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
You mean bicycle as in like a human bicycle? And I try to get him to play tug with me but he doesn't know what to do with it. Or fetch **** just look at me like " yeah right you go get it" he's eating purina one. But he threw up the first time he ate it.
Could it be becuz he went from eating trash to an actual diet?

If the pup is only 4-5 months, then as Selzer mentioned, probably wait on that, brain fart on my part. You can add it later. They make attachments for "human" bicycles, lol, that allow you to ride without having to hold a leash. Flirt pole with a toy attached might interest him. You can make your own or pick up a lunge whip at a tractor supply for about $15.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
It could be because he has worms from eating garbage. You need to take him to the vet and take a stool sample with you. And probably they will want to worm him anyway, and I would let them because some worms are trickier to find than others.

Most puppies have worms, until you kill them. Then you need to kill them again because most of the worm poison only kills adult worms, so the eggs that are there will need to be killed too.

This is Purina One smart blend large breed puppy food:
Ingredients

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), whole grain wheat, whole grain corn, soy flakes, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), pea fiber, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine), soybean meal, animal digest, glycerin, dried egg product, fish oil, salt, calcium carbonate, calcium phosphate, caramel color, potassium chloride, Vitamin E supplement, potassium citrate, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, ferrous sulfate, sulfur, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), biotin, sodium selenite.
A-4179

It's not the worst food, but it really isn't a high quality either. Let's do a crash course on your ingredients:

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine) -- good, but it is 70% water, if this was chicken meal, then it would truly be a meat in the first ingredient. Once the water was baked out, Chicken is much farther down the list.

brewers rice -- so this is really the first ingredient, what your dog is eating the most of, what he really doesn't need. Rice isn't terrible, but brown rice has the most nutrients, where brewers rice is really a low quality filler,

corn gluten meal -- this binds the food together, it is part of corn and really has been problematic as it is often imported from China,

poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), -- this is your first animal product of note, and it is poultry -- not named like chicken, which means if duck is cheaper this month it will be duck, turkey, chicken, whatever is cheapest, and it isn't the best stuff, it is mostly beaks and feet, and guts, and whatever people really don't want to eat,

whole grain wheat -- another grain totally unnecessary for dogs,

whole grain corn -- another grain totally unnecessary for dogs and it might be sweet as well, and it can be the source of allergies,

soy flakes -- another grain totally unnecessary for dogs and it can be the sorce of allergies,

animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E) -- fat is important for dogs, but it should be named. It should not be pork this week and chicken next week,

pea fiber -- why?,

fish meal (natural source of glucosamine) -- this is good, even if it is a generic fish, but it is so far down the list, below fat, below pea fiber, you wonder if there is much in it at all,

soybean meal -- totally unnecessry for dogs,

animal digest -- can someone please explain what this stuff is,

glycerin,

dried egg product -- ok ingredient, low on the list and whole eggs would be better,

fish oil -- this is ok too,

salt,

calcium carbonate,

calcium phosphate,

caramel color -- dogs aren't supposed to see colors -- do we really need the stuff to be colored -- that is for us, not them,

potassium chloride,

And the rest are pretty much a vitamin mixture.

Vitamin E supplement, potassium citrate, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, ferrous sulfate, sulfur, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), biotin, sodium selenite.
A-4179

Truly, go down into the forum and check around in the nutrition section. A food that I feed and is reasonably price is Diamond Naturals,

ingredients:

Ingredients

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, dried plain beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Ingredients

Chicken -- yupp 70% water but it is followed by chicken meal,

chicken meal -- this is chicken with the water baked out of it,

whole grain brown rice -- if you must have grain, brown rice has the most nutrients,

white rice -- another grain cheaper than brown rice but what can you do?,

cracked pearled barley -- they say that if fat is in the first four ingredients the food is more likely to cause bloat, well, I cannot think of another reason for barley,

chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols) -- good,

oatmeal -- unnecessary but it doesn't hurt anything and it is after the chicken fat,

dried plain beet pulp -- controversial ingredient, a source of fiber, and will make stool more solid but others see it as a useless filler,

egg product -- ok ingredient, whole eggs would be better,

flaxseed -- good,

natural chicken flavor -- maybe it is necessary to knock ou the fish flavor it shouldn't be necessary,

fish meal -- ok,

salt,

potassium chloride,

choline chloride,

An a typical vitamin mix:

vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

It is not the best food out there, and costs abou 29$ for 40#, but it does not have the corn, wheat, soy, by-products, and soy. It also appears to have more meat content, and no added sugar or artificial colors.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts