German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Kopper's been diagnosed with EPI. Fortunately my little country vet is on top of this with the Pancreatin, B12 injections, and antibiotics for SIBO. We're also temporarily feeding him a prescription low-fat/fiber diet while he stabilizes and adds weight (he's down to 55lb from 75 last year), but at $50 for 17lb I can't afford the prescription food for long. What are you guys feeding your EPI dogs that they've done well on?

Also. . .. does anybody want to buy an unopened bag of Precise Endurance 30/20?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Sorry to hear about Kopper :(

Nikki eats a home prepared diet since for some reason she never did good on kibble or "The Honest Kitchen" even before the EPI :confused:

She eats Pork Tenderloin & Sweet Potato, I won't even tell you how much it costs :wild: But she is doing great on it, gained all her weight and good poops! Nikki weighs 62 lbs and I cook about 80 lbs of meat a month.

Have you checked out the kibble list here: Dog Food Options - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Michaela

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I was feeding Max TOW, wetlands, before and after his EPI diagnosis , up until the last recall on TOW, switched to Fromm grain free, $60 for the large bag, the poop is going to tell you if you have it right, no 2 EPI dogs are the same, the recommended food is simply a guide line, or starting point, like I said depends on the poop, if you find a good combination, dont change it

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about Kopper :(

Nikki eats a home prepared diet since for some reason she never did good on kibble or "The Honest Kitchen" even before the EPI :confused:

She eats Pork Tenderloin & Sweet Potato, I won't even tell you how much it costs :wild: But she is doing great on it, gained all her weight and good poops! Nikki weighs 62 lbs and I cook about 80 lbs of meat a month.

Have you checked out the kibble list here: Dog Food Options - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Michaela

I did look at the list. Mostly what I can get around here for grain-free is TOTW/Kirkland/4Health, Victor grain-free, and Natural Balance Grain-free. I figured if there was a consensus on something else I could maybe order it though.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Seems like a lot of people with EPI dogs are feeding TOTW or Natures Domain. I also see Earthborn Holistic mentioned frequently but don't have any personal experience with any of them.

Hope you find a food that is affordable and agrees with him :)

Michaela

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you like the Precise line, you could always try their Sensicare formula. It's a bit lower protein and fat if I remember correctly. A lot of people whose dogs have digestive issues swear by the Sensicare. Their Foundation formula is a nice basic easy to digest formula too. (as long as you're OK with a grain inclusive food) My 5 dogs currently eat the Foundation formula, and my 2 SIBO dogs are doing really well on it.
If you want to feed grain free, my first SIBO girl did quite well on TOTW Pacific Stream, once again, it's a bit lower in protein and fat than the other TOTW formulas.
(I know you specified EPI dogs, but I don't have one of those (yet) :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
We feed Angus TOTW lamb or salmon. We found he had softer stools with the high prarie. He also gets fresh pig pancreas every couple of weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts