German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl just had 12 pups. Yes, 12 healthy, lively beautiful little pups to share 8 to 10 teets! She is such a good mother...she has gotten them on a schedule where she feeds them 6 at at time which is so amazing.

I know this many pups will be hard for her body to support. I have been giving her boiled eggs, canned food, her usual grain free top quality "large Breed Puppy" kibble, and some plain yogurt. I have also been giving her pasta and potatos and some cooked chicken, which I normally never do, but she seem so hungry all the time. I swear she's eating her body weight in food everyday! I guess I would too if I were feeding 12 growing pups.

So, my question is this; what do you normally feed your nursing Mama Dog to keep her in milk and healthy and strong?:wub:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel really silly that I didn't think of that. :eek: I actually had leftover Pasta in the fridge that I gave her just once. She just looks so hungry and I can't help worrying about a litter that large. :blush:

·
Super Moderator
18,686 Posts
I feed raw so just feed more of their normal diet. I have never had to feed 12, but Nike had more than enough milk for 8 and still had a ton of milk at 7 weeks.

·
Registered
760 Posts
We did goats milk and yougart added to our girls diet. We feed raw but added her on puppy kibble since 7 out of our 9 puppy homes were going to feed kibble vs raw. You could always add in sardines, eggs, chicken etc as well.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
We also feed raw, and just increase the amount the bitch is eating, split into 3 meals a day instead of the usual two. The only thing we add in is a bit of goats milk and yogurt once a day. We have had litters of 11 and 12 pups and just an increase in her normal diet has worked fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! She is doing great. I have a source of fresh goats milk from a goat farm down the road from me, so I will add that in. I also raise chickens so I have been giving her boiled chicken and duck eggs. I have also been giving her yogurt and also cottage cheese so I think we are on the right track. I hadn't thought of Sardines, but they are high in calcium, vitamin D and Omegas. Trying to get some pics posted in the picture section today. :)

·
Premium Member
11,213 Posts
Also do the goats milk, yogurt, and cottage cheese and a supplement called Puppy Gold....good quality kibble....extra normal sized meals - not increase the amount at a feeding

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts