German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that since GSD lovers are such an interesting and diverse group of people it'd be interesting to hear what all our occupations are. Not only that but what we'd really like to do. So, for a discussion topic...

What is your career? What do you like and dislike about it.

If your career isn't your dream job, what do you wish you could do and why? What's keeping you from doing it?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My careers are being a Realtor and a mom. I include the mom part because I figure it's even more of a commitment and full-time job than real estate.
As for being a Realtor, I really enjoy it...for the most part. I've always loved looking at houses and different types of architecture, I enjoy the varying aspects of the settlement process (nothing like watching a deal come together) and I really love working with (most) people. The negative aspects are working with (some) people and the stress of the business.

My dream job is writing. I've always loved to write and can think of nothing I'd rather do than writing as a career. What's stopping me from doing it is my busy life. I'm hoping that once the kids are older I'll have more free time in which to persue writing.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I own a professional petsitting company. i love my job but my hours are crazy-I work anywhere from 45-80 hours a week ,7 days a week.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I am a Business Analyst/Trainer at a software consulting company. I work in our internal IT department with our development team and interface with the end-users (create training material, deliver training, answer questions). I kind of got thrown in to the computer world when I was in the Marine Corps - when I became pregnant with my first daughter and couldn't go in the field anymore I had to do something...
I have never really enjoyed computers, but the pay is decent and I get to work from home and I like the company/people I work for/with.

Growing up I always wanted to be a police officer, veterinarian, or lawyer - but mostly a police officer. Have bum knees now so that would be out of the question.
I would love to take photography classes and travel the country taking pictures of old houses and researching the history on them (ghost stories would be a plus!). I would then compile everything in to a big old coffee table book that I could look at whenever I wanted to "get away"!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I am a webowner and that makes me money from Adsense and sponsored pages, commissions on holiday bookings. That sort of takes care of basics (the one in my sig is just a hobby, not an earner). For extras I do sites for other people and I do SEO.

I'm also a Mum and the fact that I work from home is both a blessing and a curse. I get to see the kids all day every day and I get to see the kids all day every day.

What I'd like to do is not have to work at all. I'd like to dabble in hobbies, have another dog (or two), live on a finca and not be bothered by neighbours or bills.

Butrfngrz - if you ever get that old haunted house coffee table book put together I'll be first in line. I love photography (other peoples, mine sucks), old houses and ghost stories. That's a really nice ambition you have there.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm an early child hood educator but unfortunately I've been out of work for over a year now
so I'm job searching had a good interview last week so my fingers are crossed

I love watching children grow and develop preparing them for the world

as for hobbies well when I do get a job I'm planning on getting a GSD pup its been too long without a dog in the house and I plan on training pretty extensively obedience right now but may do something else as well

we don’t have agility courses around here but that’s what I’d love to do mostly for fun for me and the pup

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My official title is Senior Survey Planning Representative. Basically in short, I'm a scheduler for The Joint Commission. My company accredites hospitals and healthcare organizations. I schedule about 50 Home Care surveyors to go into different facilities throughout the United States to survey the facility and check to make sure these facilities are doing eveything they are supposed to be doing. I'm sure anyone in the healthcare field will recognized my company.

I'm not loving what I'm doing because I hate sitting in a cube for 8 hours a day doing repetitive work. The job pays great and has wonderful benefits and that is what is keeping me here.

I really wish I would have followed my childhood dream of becoming a vet! I just love animals and would love to work with them every day. There is a part of me that would love to go to school to become a vet tech and quit my job and start there, but the pay isn't where I need it to be in that field. So, now I work my 9-5 job in a cube and look forward to going home to my Molly and working with her, either in agility or obedience. She is my hobby and I enjoy working with her every day. I hope to one day have more dogs to share my life with and hope to continue doing agility obedience with them in the future.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I'm a physician - a radiologist. I was an x-ray tech for about 16 years and during that time went back to school originally to work on my Bachelor's degree in Institutional Health Care Supervision. Since I was working full-time and going to school at night, it took me 7 years to get my Bachelor's degree. While in school, one thing led to another, and I changed to Pre-Med and went onto medical school and residency, finally finishing when I was 41!

I really enjoy what I do, but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone into Pre-Vet and onto Veterinary school.

And yes, Mollysmom, I think I've heard of the Joint Commission once or twice!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: raysmomAnd yes, Mollysmom, I think I've heard of the Joint Commission once or twice!
I knew someone would know where I worked......everyone in the medical field just loves us

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Originally Posted By: hammiaI am a webowner and that makes me money from Adsense and sponsored pages, commissions on holiday bookings. That sort of takes care of basics (the one in my sig is just a hobby, not an earner). For extras I do sites for other people and I do SEO.

I'm also a Mum and the fact that I work from home is both a blessing and a curse. I get to see the kids all day every day and I get to see the kids all day every day.

What I'd like to do is not have to work at all. I'd like to dabble in hobbies, have another dog (or two), live on a finca and not be bothered by neighbours or bills.

Butrfngrz - if you ever get that old haunted house coffee table book put together I'll be first in line. I love photography (other peoples, mine sucks), old houses and ghost stories. That's a really nice ambition you have there.

You guys ever watch the travel channel, they have most haunted places on most weekends, it's a fascinating show, I too am a ghoul lover!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I am a Medical Records Tech at a University, I have worked here for 27 years, and while the job is at times boring and redundant, it has enabled me to fulfill my childhood dream of owning my own horse property home. I bought my ranchette 5 years ago, I have to commute by train 2 hours each way, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I get up at 4:30 am to feed and clean my 7 horses, 4 German Shepherds, a Chihuahua, and my Jack Russell Terrier, I return home at 8:eek:o pm to do my evening chores all over again, but the sound of my horses munching their hay in their stalls, while my dog pack follows me around goofing around together is priceless, and gets me through the day.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am a special education teacher in a small public school. In September I believe I will be in the seventh grade classrooms. I enjoy this work. Previously I worked with severely disabled students in residential settings / hospitals (yes- The Joint Commission is familiar). After I received my masters degree I worked as a consultant/ educational examiner/ case manager for special education students. I was commissioned out into five schools and I was buried in paperwork so I moved back into the classroom last fall. That's where I am now who knows what the future holds but it will most likely be in special ed. That's where my experience is.

Dream Job- Owning a fiber arts store. Knit, crochet, needlepoint, weaving, etc. If I win the lottery !!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I am a mom, 1st time grandma and my husand and i own a waste and recycling company. I am also a Paralegal. I hate the legal world lately, especailly when i see people who have murdered children get out with a slap on the wrist, or a Judge giving someone a 3 wk sentence for a 3rd time DUI. it sickens me. I would much rather spend my full time working on our recycling company or babysitting the grandbaby or knitting and sculpting, sketching etc and hen selling it. i would also love to write a book from the point of view of a breast cancer survivor.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I am a customer service/accounting "person" in a very tiny company that sells corrugated boxes and tape for moving industry. We have been very slow because no houses are selling right now... WE also have quite a few industrial as well as tape customers so the company is doing great. I dislike my job very much. I am a very social and friendly person, but not a customer service type of person at all. My previous job was accounting manager and I do like accounting. My husband is an accountant also.
My dream would be to work part-time with animals. I would love to do obedience training, train people to train their dogs that have never been trained before, and spread the knowledge how important it is to train your dog, ANY dog! I actually have a couple of people that I am helping already... I am by no means the best dog trainer in the world, but I have noticed that even a little bit of information to some people goes a long way.. for example... You do have to exercise your dog every day...
We are also hoping to start our own family company soon.. my husband and my SIL and me... we are now brainstorming to come up with ideas..

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have a list of careers behind me, which led me to where I am now. Out of the rat race, away from government (both federal and state) funding sources. I happily get my arse up every day and drive to the local Humane Shelter where I oversee all the animals and staff. I bring my youngest dog to work with me every day, have since the day he turned five weeks old. If I feel stress at all, I go back to the kennels, take a dog for a walk in the woods and forget the demands of the world. After 25 years or so of working in Human Services in an array of areas, I wonder daily why I didn't get out sooner and do what I always wanted to do. Play with dogs all day, and get paid for it!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I have a part time job doing insurance agent licensing. Five minutes from my house. Get full benefits and profit-sharing so it's hard to give it up.

We also own a waste oil recycling business. When I get home from my first job at about 1:00pm I return our customer calls and do our billing, etc..... in fact that is what I'm supposed to be doing now but had to check the board first.

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
i work for a high-end landscape design/build firm. my title is sec-treas / office manager. i love my job and i love the owners. they are my 2nd family. i'm there as long as they'll have me. my duties range from all aspects of running an office, from a/r & a/p, cash dispersements, etc; i also do estimating of "hadscapes" elements, write proposals, etc. although i have certain redundant things, i also have interesting and unique challenges each day as well. i have freedom, don't punch a clock, use my time as i choose.

what i've always wanted to do was be a church organist. play one of those big huge pipe organs such as the ones in the old cathedrals. i can't read notes, tho. well, i can but only one at a time.
if i know the melody to something, i can play it. my dad would many time fill-in for the minister while he was away, and i'd always get to play the organ on those days (mostly the evening service). that was a big deal for me

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I am a Mom first & then I groom dogs part time & help in the boarding kennel.
Both jobs don't have enough time in the days for 'em.

My Boss is 84 yrs.old There is only her & I mostly & will not hire more help & Will not give more hours.

She is set in the old ways too.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
i am a pension policy analyst (not policy like insurance policy, i work for a large pension plan up in ontario for municipal employees). i research, write and analyse, spend most of my time w/legislations and other regulations.

i like working w/law, but didn't want to go into debt to go to law school, so this has been a nice compromise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am an EMS Chief (Ohio). I love my job! I have been in EMS for 26 years. I love people, I love my furbabies more, Because my job can be high stress it is so nice to come home and just be loved by Seth Sasha and Silas. OH and Jack (hubby) I am blessed!!!

1 - 20 of 341 Posts