German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been job searching for the last 4 months, so I have spent all day with my puppy for the last 3 and 1/2 months. He is almost 5 months old now. But, I just got a job, and now I'm not sure what to do with him during the day. I looked into doggy day care, but all of the facilities in my city don't open until I already have to be to work (and are also very expensive).

Our yard needs some work before it will be good for long term keeping (believe me, I have been on my parents about getting the yard finished for months), and I don't feel great about keeping him in his crate all day.

So, what do you all do? Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a fenced in yard but because of the high number of dog thefts in my area I don't leave them outside unattended. I've always crated mine while working and haven't had any problems.

If that isn't an option, how about getting a kennel from Tractor supply or Costco or whatever you have locally. I have a 10x10x6 ft high, don't remember exactly how much it costs, but it wasn't much. That way your can lock the gate and not worry about theft.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I crated Bear through the day. Up until about 6 months I had a neighbour let him out. I let him sleep loose in my room to make up for the guilt I felt since he slept fine through the night without eating anything or having an accident. The guilt is gone.. He is just fine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found the most incredible dog walker. I paid him for a 20-minute visit every day, but he easily spent at least half an hour with him. It cost me $15/day and this guy was awesome! He is also a behaviourist dog trainer, so we benefitted from his training skills for free. Kane became the poster-dog for his website and even though we moved too far away several months ago, we still keep in touch. I did interview a few people first, too.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I converted my back porch into rosko's room while were working and kids are in school. he doesn't seem to mind too much. He has toys, water, and a window to look out. there are days I am envious of him actually.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone!

So, with the crating all day, what should I do about food and water? I'm afraid if I feed and water him before I go to work, he'll go in his crate, but I don't want to wait until I get home bc he is still growing, and that would be so many hours without food and water. I usually feel him 3 times a day, 10:30 am, 4:30 pm and his last feeding is usually around 9 pm, and he goes to bed around 11:30 pm. At night we don't let him eat or have much drink after his last feeding. He has occasional random diarrhea, and in the time that we've had him, he has had 2 accidents in his crate. One was my mom's fault for not letting him out before she went to work, but the other couldn't be helped.

Now, I am in talks with my brother to some to my house and let him out for 30 minutes to a couple of hours (depending on my brothers personal schedule) but bc my brother's work schedule is so random, that's not a reliable every day thing.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If space allows, an ex-pen may be another (short-term) alternative to the crate. You may also want to call around to the dog-day care and your vet on dog walkers that they could recommend.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Mila, It's not ok to think it's fine to cage a GSD all day and then make sleep all night. It's a piss poor quality of life for that pup. Please look into rehoming. Don't blame your family, they have their lives to live too. It is not acceptable to restrict this young athletic breed to a box. Reach down in your heart and think about it, please.

There is an article about a dog behavior speaker that gave a talk in front of several hundred people. He said "If you need to be away from your dog 8-9 hours per day - go ahead and crate them. He was expecting his audience to be appalled - but instead they just took notes and nodded their heads. He was floored... His comments after, "they want the dog they want, at any cost to that dog".....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Mila, It's not ok to think it's fine to cage a GSD all day and then make sleep all night. It's a piss poor quality of life for that pup. Please look into rehoming. Don't blame your family, they have their lives to live too. It is not acceptable to restrict this young athletic breed to a box. Reach down in your heart and think about it, please.

There is an article about a dog behavior speaker that gave a talk in front of several hundred people. He said "If you need to be away from your dog 8-9 hours per day - go ahead and crate them. He was expecting his audience to be appalled - but instead they just took notes and nodded their heads. He was floored... His comments after, "they want the dog they want, at any cost to that dog".....
3 other people who do it themselves suggested I crate him all day, when I was originally against it, why are you only getting on me about it?! Why aren't you suggesting they rehome their dogs? Also, he is the family dog, why shouldn't I expect some help from my family? I live with my parents, it's their yard. Technically, he's my mom's dog, I just take care of him the most.

I'm not going to rehome my dog just because I got a job. I am going to try and find a way to make it work.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Thank you for responding Mila. This is the first time you represented that this dog is not your primary responsibility but your Mom (parents). If that's the case, why do you need your brother with his irregular work hours to be responsible for daily breaks??

It's up to you to decide if the other three people who posted that it's ok to cage all day and they do it is acceptable or not with what your own judgment is. Even mature adults twist reality to make it work into their lifestyle requirements... does not change reality - just makes a wrong easier to live with because a couple of people out there are doing the same thing - not for the health or benefit of the pup, but because of their denial of reality.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They work all day as well. They are of the mind set "he's a dog, he'll live" while I am not. I will actually push to take him with me when I can eventually move out. He's her dog at this point because she paid for him, but I have done all the training (taking him to obedience classes and out for socialization) and paid for his shots and checkups.
My brother is mentioned for breaks because he is at our house everyday anyway, he might as well do something helpful.

So who do you suggest have a dog? Only people who can spend all day with them, or can afford expensive services? We do our best to feed him good quality food, play with him, and give him lots of attention and love. But unfortunately society requires that people have jobs and pay bills, so we have to work.

I want to do what is best for him, but I can't stand the thought of giving him up. I love him so much. If my job would let me come in just 15 minutes later, I could take him to doggy day care, but they won't budge on the start time. I would pay for a dog walker, but my mom won't let me because she "doesn't want strangers walking around her house". I wish I could just stay at home with him forever, but unfortunately I am not married, and am in a lot of school loan debt that I have to pay back, and the only good thing in my life right now is my precious boy. This is a stressful enough situation as it is, I really don't need a "holier than thou" attitude from someone. What I need is helpful suggestions and advice. Rehoming is NOT an option. My original question was "what do you do for your dogs while you are at work?" Is "I rehome my dogs" your response to that question? No? If your don't agree with crating all day, then give another suggestion.

(sorry if I sound upset, but frankly I am a little. I'm stressed, and I start my job monday, and I have 4 days to figure this out)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I crate my dogs as well. I dont crate at night once they are old enough.

Suggesting rehoming was not appropriate for this problem.

It sounds as if it's your only option.

Good luck in your new job.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I crate my dogs as well. I dont crate at night once they are old enough.

Suggesting rehoming was not appropriate for this problem.

It sounds as if it's your only option.

Good luck in your new job.
Thank you :) I hope it will be a good job.

One lucky thing is that the job is only four days a week, so I can have 3 full days with my boy :)

·
Registered
326 Posts

Oh just stop now. We all know you don't agree with crating your dog, and that is fine for you. You are home all day. When you says things like this to a new member/owner, it's really offputting. There are many dogs on this board who are crated during the day and are happy and healthy.

I respect your opinions, but you are not showing any respect for any difference of your opinion and that is childish and you come off as quite combative.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mila, you asked about feeding times? What I did was get up about an hour earlier than I needed to to feed, play with and potty my pups. If someone can come and let the pup out to potty during your work shift that would be ideal. If that isn't an option, don't partition the crate, put some puppy pads inside and expect accidents, it won't set you back as long as when you are home you are on top of potty training. Take your pup out every 30 minutes or so, and praise like crazy when she goes.

Feed again when you get home, give free access to water, but take it up a couple hours before bedtime. I like to feed pups 3 times a day, you know your schedule, feed before you leave, when you get home, and offer food a couple hours later. You will be fine. Good luck!

·
Registered
478 Posts
If everyone that worked all day didn't have a dog I would know 0 people with a dog.
They sleep when your gone anyways. I left toys like kongs that I know he couldn't destroy and swallow.

As for water and food, I have always kept a strict schedule with Bear. Wake up, outside, back in to eat while I shower etc, then back out twice usually before I leave.

Since someone was letting him out I left him with a little bit of water, then they would put a little bit more in the crate if it was gone. I never left food as he was always fed twice a day so I knew when he had to poop.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I advise against puppy pads, that is basically teaching him its okay to go in the crate. At 5 months he should be able to hold it as long as someone comes to let him once throughout the day. Why set him back if you don't need to?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I advise against puppy pads, that is basically teaching him its okay to go in the crate. At 5 months he should be able to hold it as long as someone comes to let him once throughout the day. Why set him back if you don't need to?

My bad, I didn't realize the pup was 5 months old. I would only do that for young pups. But I wouldn't leave water in the crate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts